401K Choices ..

xtradoe

Recycles dryer sheets
Agree with above. I'd also suggest that it would be worth your while to lurk at the Bogleheads site and see how others have tackled this issue. They have a systematic approach that I think makes sense.

Bogleheads :: Index

Do your own research but... because I have a position in VINIX, I ran it through MaxFunds - Vanguard Instl Index Fd (VINIX) MUTUAL FUND RESEARCH.

The Good:

Rated 92 out of 100 (Excellent)
6% Return expected in the next six months
Good Total Cost - .05%
Vanguard Advantage - Very Good
"Hot" money warning - Low
Turnover Ratio - Low

The bad:

Manager Quality - Bad (Hey! It's an Index Fund -- what management?.)
Fat Fund Index - Bad

Overall:

Best Case - 34% increase in Value
Worst Case - 45% Decrease in Value
<Chuckle>

Aren't you gald you asked?

It appears that Artisan is in the only fund in the black and up a little over 4% YTD, the others are all in the red, I know that is not the right criteria to go by but? ......

Hello,
Here are my 401K choices, I am in cash now, is it time to buy back in on any of these funds?

Are you saying that you cashed out the 401k taking the 10% penalty and taxes and now you feel that the market is on an upswing? If so, It sounds like you know how to lose money.
I suggest doing like other have said. A little education (reading books, visiting the bogleheads site) goes a long way to your goals of retirement.

Just by the list you provided, I don't see the expense ratios (E/R's) listed. Does your 401k offer any Target 20xx type funds?

IMO, you are looking at the YTD % wrong. Alot has to do with the "timing" of your contributions. For example, in my 401k, I have PRWCX, T. Rowe Capitall Appreciation. YTD on the Fund is -.90%, but I am returning +2.96%.

No, I did not cash out of my 401k, I have my money sitting in like a money market type fund right now, within our 401k program.

I'll look up the expense ratios and post them up.

Are you saying that you cashed out the 401k taking the 10% penalty and taxes and now you feel that the market is on an upswing? If so, It sounds like you know how to lose money.
I suggest doing like other have said. A little education (reading books, visiting the bogleheads site) goes a long way to your goals of retirement.

Just by the list you provided, I don't see the expense ratios (E/R's) listed. Does your 401k offer any Target 20xx type funds?

IMO, you are looking at the YTD % wrong. Alot has to do with the "timing" of your contributions. For example, in my 401k, I have PRWCX, T. Rowe Capitall Appreciation. YTD on the Fund is -.90%, but I am returning +2.96%.

It appears that Artisan is in the only fund in the black and up a little over 4% YTD, the others are all in the red, I know that is not the right criteria to go by but? ......

That's because the fund is mid-cap size and value oriented. They look good today, but took their lumps earlier in the year, along with everyone else.

-- Rita

First you need to determine an asset allocation for yourself - % stocks, % bonds.

Go with the low ER Vanguard funds in your 401(k) and then build out the rest of your AA in a Roth IRA around these 401(k) choices.

If you haven't been to the Bogleheads site yet, I'd still recommend it.

Xtradoe,

They seem like good choices.
As you know, the "allocation" is important. You "allocated" to the cash cateogory which does well in recessions. Going back into stocks IMHO is a good move but it would be helpful to know about the other categories and how and if you should try to time them.

DODBX has went through some management changes lately. It is my opinion that duration and performance of the current managers for each of these funds is an important consideration.

Best of luck,

Free to Canoe

financial engines?

our 401k has added financial engines as a option to check the individuals picks, anyone use financial engines?

our 401k has added financial engines as a option to check the individuals picks, anyone use financial engines?

Yup. It takes a bit of time to enter account information for accounts outside the 401K plan. Usually your employer's 401K will add your data to Financial Engines automatically. Once your data is in, you'll tell it the risk level and desired retirement age along with a bit of other personal information related to current age and other retirement income. (Those annual Social Security reports will come in handy...)

FE will then suggest portfolio changes across your accounts, considering your risk level and time til retirement. The software lets you play with different savings levels, risk levels, and target retirement incomes, and will give you a guesstimate of the odds of a financial plan succeeding.

Things to look out for:
* In general the plans FE generates aren't the best thing to follow if within 5 years of retirement. They tend to be a little too risky for that timeframe.
* The retirement income estimate is based on what a Single Payment Immediate Annuity would return if bought with your entire portfolio. That's not something one would normally do, just what they use to get an income number. Your actual safe withdrawal rate will normally be lower.

Back
Top Bottom