Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

+41 years - Kohoutek - Rosetta
Old 11-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

+41 years - Kohoutek - Rosetta

Coincidentally, yesterday, I picked up the National Geographic Magazine for August 1974 at the local resale shop, for $.10.
One of the lead articles was coverage of the Comet Kohoutek viewing from March 1973. Here's the Wiki report on that:
Comet Kohoutek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An hour ago, I tuned into the current live report of the landing of Rosetta... basic info here:

Rosetta's Philae probe successfully completes comet landing | Daily Mail Online

Nothing more to be said, except that I remember the event from 41 years ago, trying to see the comet tail, but being disappointed because of the weather.
Deja Vu... and a moment of awe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1415815553460_wps_9_12N_ROSETTA_LANDING_ONLIN.jpg (293.1 KB, 14 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember Kohoutek and probably still have that issue of NG. I remember as a child with a keen interest in astronomy thinking how far in the future Halley's return was in 1986 and now it is so long ago. Halley's comet was the first to be studied by spacecraft and would have been studied in greater detail if not for the loss of Challenger which carried a package for the comet and the cancellation of the subsequent launch of Columbia which also would have carried a package to study the comet. The actual comet viewing was a disappointment due to the alignment of the earth, sun and comet.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately flashed back to the old "Gordo" comic strip. The protagonist had a tour van called "Halley's Comet". His business was affected when Kohoutek was approaching. At least that's my vague recollections.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget Hale-Bopp. That comet and its tail were easily visible to the naked eye on a clear night. The information from the Philae probe will be fascinating to say the least.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Understatement of the decade award:

Stephan Ulamec, the Philae lander manager at ESA:
“It’s complicated to land on a comet.”

Comet lander may have bounced - CBS News
Old 11-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

14 years ago I was working for a MN company contracting with ESA in Germany. We built & supplied several hundred small film heating elements for the Rosetta. I was liaison between the US manufacturing and the German satellite assembly site. I was able to visit there, go into the clean room during the assembly phase and climb into the unfinished satellite to verify the installation. I wish I would have written my name somewhere on the frame!

It's mind-boggling to think of how far those little heaters have gone under the control of a nav system with less computing power than a smart phone!
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
14 years ago I was working for a MN company contracting with ESA in Germany. We built & supplied several hundred small film heating elements for the Rosetta. I was liaison between the US manufacturing and the German satellite assembly site. I was able to visit there, go into the clean room during the assembly phase and climb into the unfinished satellite to verify the installation. I wish I would have written my name somewhere on the frame!

It's mind-boggling to think of how far those little heaters have gone under the control of a nav system with less computing power than a smart phone!
Wow! Great story. To be a part of history.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote