Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Texas is 3rd in terms of state budget deficit, even worse than California.

Deficit as % of 2011 spending

1 NV 45.20
2 NJ 37.40
3 TX 31.50
4 CA 29.30
5 OR 25.00
6 MN 23.60
7 LA 20.70
8 NY 18.70
9 CT 18.00
10 SC 17.40

I saw somewhere that North and South Dakota, along with Montana, are the states with low or no state budget deficits, and with low personal taxes to boot.

Come on up! My RV trips have taken me through those states. Lots of free open space. One can ride his horse for days.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I wonder how many of the 45 million are college students and people at the very start of their careers who move from apartment to apartment in the same city as their salaries increase.
Although not because my salary increased a lot (which it did at the time), I did move 5 times in less than 24 months from the time I finished college. All the places I lived were within 35 miles of each other (NYC area) and the last 3 in that time (as well as where I live now) are within 20 miles of each other and in the came county.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Lots of truth about many of the movers being college students or people in the early years of their career. I recently saw somewhere that only 1.8% of workers moved after they retired.

I used to think I would move somewhere (is it not in my screenname?), but it is most likely I will die where I am now. Too tired to move... Too much baggage to jettison or to carry... And for what? I can always visit these places with my RV, or to catch a flight if it involves crossing some ocean. An exciting location might just stop being so after one lives there for a while.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

OK, I found the article that said only 1.6% of retirees moved across state lines.
In 2010, just 1.6 percent of retirees between age 55 and 65 moved across state lines, according to an analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data by Richard Johnson, director of retirement policy research at The Urban Institute.

And even among retirees who do move across state lines, migration patterns have shifted in recent years, Johnson says. In 1990, more than one in four retirees between age 55 to 65 who did relocate across a state line moved to Florida -- and seven of the top cities for migrating retirees were in the sunshine state. Florida remains the most popular destination, but it only attracted one in seven of retirees between 2005 and 2010.

"Americans are moving to cities all over the country today when they retire," he says. The most popular destinations now include Atlanta, Las Vegas, Dallas and Phoenix, but New York, Washington, D.C., and Chicago also attract many retirees.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gotta hussle to build up that resume at first, it is the only way to have a good amount of job options.

Moved 4 times a year between 18-22, once a year between 24-28, and plan to move once between 30-31 to a very telework friendly/very early retirement location (of which there are not a lot of options, I could only figure out a few, Chattanooga, Tampa, and Seattle, thinking about making a thread about it). After that, I don't plan to move again for ~30 years, and that move will be the final one to a good senior retirement state, of which there are a lot of options.