Join Early Retirement Today

45 Million Americans Move Each Year-Where do they go?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

45 Million Americans Move Each Year-Where do they go?

Where Americans Are Moving - Business Insider

I hope this explains itself, but in case not, this shows which states are are winning and losing population. And a few random observations.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Heck, I didn't know that Houston was a state....

from the article (my bold) :

"Americans are moving to Florida, Nevada, Houston and Kentucky, according to this infographic"

Old 07-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Interesting! This is a good thread which complements the concurrent threads about what climate that people like.

People are moving out of several Northeastern states, no surprise there from climate consideration, but also California! Who wouldda thunk?

And they are moving to the Southwest. They obviously have not heard of chiggers, rattle snakes, Gila monsters, scorpions, and such. And also Louisiana. Not even Katrina scares them. What is happening here?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Interesting! This is a good thread which complements the concurrent threads about what climate that people like.

People are moving out of several Northeastern states, no surprise there from climate consideration, but also California! Who wouldda thunk?

And they are moving to the Southwest. They obviously have not heard of chiggers, rattle snakes, Gila monsters, scorpions, and such. And also Louisiana. Not even Katrina scares them. What is happening here?
I'm betting it's retirement.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Do chiggers, rattle snakes, scorpions spare old retirees? I guess REWahoo's warning was not sufficiently advertised. And do hurricanes like Katrina respect elderly people?

I also saw that many Californians moved to Texas. This reminded me of a cousin who moved from the LA area to Texas (can't remember if it was Dallas or Houston). He sold his house for quite a bit of money, got a bigger and better house in Texas for cash due to the lower cost of RE, and still had money left over for new furniture. After just a few months, his wife complained bitterly, and he had to move back.

Then, I heard that after renting for a few years, the housing crash in California enabled my cousin to get back into a house better than what he had originally. Interesting how it happened to work out for them.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While not a native I've found Michigan to actually to be quite nice. In the interest of full disclosure, my income does not come from this state at all. Excellent medical care, education and moderate cost of living are keeping me here. Lots of recreational opportunities as well. I believe we'll keep this as our retirement home base. DTW airport provides a quick efficient escape when the winter winds start to howl.
However, I can see the reasons for departure as well. The employment situation and an uncompetitive manufacturing environment are the other side of the coin.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #7

Looks like Retirees looking for either: lower cost of living; lower taxes; warmer weather; slower pace of living; or some combination of the four.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The above, except for the weather, were what my cousin was looking for. But after moving from the LA area to Texas, I think what his wife was complaining about might be one or several things listed in the following post: Leaving Long Island for Texas.

PS. I was just telling a true story about my cousin. I have absolutely no desire to move to either the Los Angeles area or somewhere in Texas. I'd prefer to stay where I am now, where we got the record heat of 122F (50C) in the summer (it's just dry heat!). Egads, the linked article shows that people are moving here too. People are dropping like flies from the heat, but nobody seems to care.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

California being a population loser did not shock me. For the first time (2010 census) since the 1860 census, California did not gain representation in the U.S. House (or electoral college), maintaining its 53 seats.

Gee, (old) people still moving from New York to Florida. Call Ripleys!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm betting it's retirement.
Maybe from NY to FL and some of the other north to south moves, but many and likely most migrants from CA to TX are tech workers who can find good jobs and much lower cost of living as well and reasonably good cultural fit in large metros such as DFW. When my brother lived near Fort Worth, a huge number of his neighbors were recent tech-worker migrants from coastal California. His neighbors on both sides were gay male couples who worked in information fields, and came from the Bay Area.

Ha
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
And also Louisiana. Not even Katrina scares them. What is happening here?
Perhaps this reflects the ongoing migration home of New Orleans residents who left during the post-Katrina diaspora.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
The above, except for the weather, were what my cousin was looking for. But after moving from the LA area to Texas, I think what his wife was complaining about might be one or several things listed in the following post: Leaving Long Island for Texas
Rather like: fast; good; cheap cars. You can buy a new car that is fast and good; good and cheap; or fast and cheap. But you can not buy a new car that is fast; good; AND cheap.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I suspect many are moving where the jobs are.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Maybe from NY to FL and some of the other north to south moves, but many and likely most migrants from CA to TX are tech workers who can find good jobs and much lower cost of living as well and reasonably good cultural fit in large metros such as DFW. When my brother lived near Fort Worth, a huge number of his neighbors were recent tech-worker migrants from coastal California. His neihbors on both sides were gay male couples who worked in information fields, and came from the Bay Area.
I went to school with a bunch of people who left my southeastern US state to go to California for high tech jobs when they were single and/or childless. Then they decided to start families and realized that sunny CA was less awesome for starting families due to the cost of living (housing mainly). They quickly found slightly higher salaries didn't offset the huge cost of living difference of either buying a house in a good area or private schooling for kids if they lived in a mediocre area.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #15

I believe this has been posted before, but this is a cool interactive "migration map" that shows much more specific, disaggregated data down to the county level.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes
Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

From what I see, they are moving from the high tax states with big debts to lower tax states with less debt...
Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I could have sworn all 45 million were moving to my neck of the woods. Guess not. My state isn't listed as one of the top destinations.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #18

I wonder how many of the 45 million are college students and people at the very start of their careers who move from apartment to apartment in the same city as their salaries increase.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw Illinois in the Top 10 of states that people are moving from. No surprise - even some of its ex-governors are moving to other states.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
From what I see, they are moving from the high tax states with big debts to lower tax states with less debt...
I don't see that trend.

State of Texas Debt Clock

ME, CT, and MN (pop losers) look pretty good compared to TX, which looks good compared to IL and NY and MA. OR is a pop gainer and its debt is ~ to CA's debt and it also has high taxes.

The more obvious trend relates to temperature as the boomers age.