Join Early Retirement Today

48 years ago
Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

48 years ago

As time goes by less and less people seem remember what happened on this day 48 years ago. Every year on this date it was big news and I haven't heard a word about it today. When I was at the bank today I mentioned it to a few of the tellers who were standing around and they all sort of looked at me like, Hmmm, I heard of him but......

I was sitting in 9th grade SS Class when it came over the PA about John F. Kennedy being assassinated in Dallas.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
As time goes by less and less people seem remember what happened on this day 48 years ago.
In two years we will go through a massive half centennial and everybody will know about it.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It's a huge Big Deal to me and always will be. For whatever reasons, my life changed. I guess it was the end of innocence, of a certain kind, for many in my generation.

That day, just before Home Room in 9th grade, one of the boys came running in and said the President had been shot. We all thought he was joking and we were laughing and cutting up until the teacher came in with tears in her eyes. Then we went to the auditorium to watch news coverage for the rest of the day on a big screen TV. Or, we could choose study hall instead.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in 6th grade and remember my teacher coming in with tears in her eyes.

This was a watershed moment for me as well. As a Canadian kid, I knew very little about the American political scene and really couldn't have cared less. But the murder of JFK opened my eyes to the fact that there was a whole world beyond my small town.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was in second grade and was home for the day ill. I remember it well. Traumatic at the time.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was 5 years old at the time, just 2 months into kindergarten. My memories were hearing all the adults around me being very upset, being sent home early that day, and then our entire family watching the broadcast of the funeral on our small black/white TV.
I distinctly remember seeing the two Kennedy children (ages 6 and 3 at the time) standing next to their mother in black and JFK Jr's salute, and the horses and the caisson.
I was too young to really understand what had happened to JFK until a few years later when MLK and RFK were shot. Then it all came together. Scary times...
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/where-were-you-when-it-happened?-18607.html
Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I was sitting in 9th grade SS Class when it came over the PA about John F. Kennedy being assassinated in Dallas.
I was in the Principals Office when this happened and was told to return to my 9th grade social studies class (funny coincidence with 73ss454). I informed the class of what had happened and the teacher gave me the big stink eye and said, if this is your idea of a joke, its not funny. The rest is history, but it is certainly one day in history that I will never forget where I was.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Honestly I remember being told about the Cuban missile crisis more vividly-the teacher was very shaken. We were an Air Force school and I imagine the base went to high alert status although I really don't remember the aftermath.

After the assassination news we were sent home. I remeber The whole school at one time walking along the causeway into the base gate-and quiet.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

I was in an 11th grade psychology class.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #11

I was in an 11th grade History class.
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

I was in the third grade and they let the schools out the next day. I remember going out to play and there was no one around. Not many cars on the street. I saw the newspaper headline later int he day and realized what happened. Oceanside, CA.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #13

7th grade walking from music class to the reading classroom and heard the PA announcement. Sad day for all.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #14

I was in 3rd grade and can't remember the details of the hours at school.
We just knew something major happened. We found out what it was when we got home. All I really knew at that time was someone killed the most important man in America. Our President.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

3rd grade also. I remember it being one of the rare days when the teachers brought out the tv's to watch the news. A real tragedy.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #16

I was born 6 days after it happened, so don't remember too much.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #17

I was in 10th grade home ec class just finishing when they announced to stay in your class. Then they announced he had been shot. They said he would want us to stay in school and made us stay all day then gave us the next day off.

He was only the second president I had noticed and I liked that he had the kids and the wife everyone admired. I had a little calendar on my wall that you turned the date everyday but I left it on Nov 22 for years in remembrance.

I did hear about it on the radio today so it wasn't forgotten.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

5th grade. The teacher was called out of the classroom, and returned a few minutes later stating: "We're closing school for the rest of the day. When you get home your parents will tell you why." This was a small town, where most kids walked to and from school. There was a neighborhood boy, a year older than I, who was kind of a condescending know it all, who stayed abreast of politics and current affairs. He somehow had heard of what had happened. I walked home with him, and asked him why school was being let out. He replied: "Don't you know? The President's been assassinated." I wasn't really sure what assassinated meant, but I knew it was associated with the killing of President Lincoln.

The most memorable moment for me, was watching TV that Saturday morning, and seeing Ruby shoot Oswald. I recall the reporter continually repeating: "Oswald's been shot!" I knew this was real, and not some TV crime drama.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

A day I'll never forget. My mother had taken us to see him speak when he was campaigning on the East Coast outside of Boston. My teacher was married to a cousin and on the 22nd the principal came and took her out of the classroom then took over the class. I remember her because she had a lot of jewelry and fancy designer clothes, very expensive for the day. After she left the school the principal made the announcement on the loudspeaker. The teacher went to the funeral and took several weeks of leave and when she came back told us all about the family. I remember Caroline's pony Macaroni - do you remember photos of her riding the pony at the White House? And John John in his coat saluting the coffin.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #20

7th grade art class. An announcement over the PA system, then they plugged that into a news radio station. I remember the mood being very somber, but not much else about that particular day.