Join Early Retirement Today

4k uhd tvs
Old 06-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

4k uhd tvs

Anyone else have an angel reminding you to contribute to savings while a devil is lighting a fire under it's ass so you'll treat yourself to a 4k tv?
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Anyone else have an angel reminding you to contribute to savings while a devil is lighting a fire under it's ass so you'll treat yourself to a 4k tv?

Me. The devil is winning .... my DW & I are 90% convinced that Samsung UHD 65" is the next best thing to golf for our life. Just need to press the submit button for online order. But letting go $4k is a bit hard ...
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Me. The devil is winning .... my DW & I are 90% convinced that Samsung UHD 65" is the next best thing to golf for our life. Just need to press the submit button for online order. But letting go $4k is a bit hard ...
Obviously you are wrong, it's the samsung 78 inch that is the next best thing.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Obviously you are wrong, it's the samsung 78 inch that is the next best thing.
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

Nonetheless, the angel is right. I could buy the TV, but there ain't any content to watch, at least not enough to justify the expense.

But the devil persists, yesterday he even put up a warning on my current rear projection (Sony KDS-60a2000) that my bulb is past it's useful life and I should order a new one. That SOB is just egging me on.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
gone traveling

Is there content out there that would benefit from a better resolution TV, otherwise is this more a case of buying latest technology for technologies sake?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

There is potentially content available in 4k digitized movies. They've been doing that for quite a while. But you might have to download them from somewhere. And your TV might have to decode them internally to avoid a gigantic bit rate into your TV.

I'd like to wait for the additional color space expansion and the logistics of the above to settle out before I buy.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Is there content out there that would benefit from a better resolution TV, otherwise is this more a case of buying latest technology for technologies sake?
The only serious content is from Netflix and a few other like minded vendors. But that totals up to less than 0.00000001% of content out there that can be converted to 4k. To enjoy the content, I need to update my internet speed from 12MB to 25MB.

The (near) clincher for me is that the TV did a darn good job upscaling lesser resolution content to 4k. Another plus is that it comes with 3D feature which my current TV does not have. I.e, devil has presented a very strong case besides the "life is too short" pitch.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
The only serious content is from Netflix and a few other like minded vendors. But that totals up to less than 0.00000001% of content out there that can be converted to 4k. To enjoy the content, I need to update my internet speed from 12MB to 25MB.

The (near) clincher for me is that the TV did a darn good job upscaling lesser resolution content to 4k. Another plus is that it comes with 3D feature which my current TV does not have. I.e, devil has presented a very strong case besides the "life is too short" pitch.
As if you need another reason... the samsungs have Dual View. What is dual view you might ask? Well, it's only the key to marital bliss.

So you have those 3D glasses right? Well normally they work by shuttering one eye at a time for the 3d effect. Well with dual view, they shutter both eyes for 1 pair at a time, so two people can see entirely different images. You can watch 1 show, while your wife watches an entirely different (and stupid boring) show. but you are both looking at the same 1 screen. If that ain't magic, I don't know what is. Oh the arguments that could be avoided.

The glasses have built in sound, before you ask.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
As if you need another reason... the samsungs have Dual View. What is dual view you might ask? Well, it's only the key to marital bliss.

So you have those 3D glasses right? Well normally they work by shuttering one eye at a time for the 3d effect. Well with dual view, they shutter both eyes for 1 pair at a time, so two people can see entirely different images. You can watch 1 show, while your wife watches an entirely different (and stupid boring) show. but you are both looking at the same 1 screen. If that ain't magic, I don't know what is. Oh the arguments that could be avoided.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Obviously, you did your homework and so did I. Another incentive I have is that I get 15% discount through my megacorp sponsored site. So, it's only(?) $3.6k I will be spending.

... and don't get me started on 75" one. That's a marriage breaker. DW's take is I can buy it only if I buy a bigger house. And the last time I checked, Samsung TV does not come with a bigger house.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #11

Throwaway or yard sale some clutter, proudly announce to your wife that the house is now bigger, triumphantly march to the store to order your tv. Wear a cape if you can find one. Enjoy the tv on the couch. You'll be sleeping there.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wait, what? We have to wear funny glasses to watch TV? And pay a bunch of money for the privilege?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Overall, I don't think I'll be in the market until 4k content is widely available. By then I'll be able to get a 50" 4k tv for $500 like our current 1080p tv.