Join Early Retirement Today

5 days and counting
Old 06-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

5 days and counting

Next Friday is my last working day. Seems like the work problems just keep on rolling in like big ocean rollers made of something really bad smelling. Strangely, I still am waking up at three AM with thoughts of dread concerning the situation at my company.

DW keeps coaching me "repeat after me, IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM".
willywonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Willy,
Let it go. You made a decision for many reasons and now you're following through.

Congratulations!

Rita
Old 06-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There will be problems and successes at your company whether you're there or not.

You've done your job, now it's time to focus on you and your DW.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the most humbling aspects of retirement is accepting the fact that you aren't indispensible, or even that important, at your j*b. Whether you are the janitor or the CEO, things will keep rolling after you're gone. Once you accept this fact, it becomes much easier to ignore those feelings. Some of us accept it before we leave, others after they retire. A little seperation anxiety is normal, but if you can get your mind set to smile in amusement at the antics of the remaining worker bees, it can make those last few days more enjoyable. I was told a number of times to "wipe that $h!t eating grin off your face" during my last month. I'm still wearing it 4 years later.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hear you... I just resigned yesterday, effective in 2 weeks (July 2 will be my last day). I'm stressing. The next 2 weeks should be interesting - the good news is not for long.

Just remember: (as I keep telling myself) there is nothing they can do to you. What are they going to do, fire you? Too late! Just go in and pretend to work. My friend called it "retiring in place" and I've been trying to do it for weeks if not months.

However, the stress is still real. I just wish I had only 5 days instead of 10
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the great advice and support everyone. I'm probably not going to misbehave during my last 5 days, but some tempting thoughts have entered my mind. Think Office Space, the movie. Maybe I want a better view from my desk for my last week
Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know that when my last week arrives, I will feel no guilt about the place. As long as it stays open long enough to keep the pension fund funded, everything else can crumble tio dust.

Currently, the one thing which I know I shall "worry" about, will be the certainty that a number of @$$#*!3z whom I would not trust to park my car, will get the most astonishing promotions to positions of power and responsibility. I intend to ensure that I never, ever find out who they've now put in charge of <whatever>; all social interactions with ex-coworkers will be on that basis. (Of course, said in-duh-viduals are getting those promotions all the time while I'm working here; my working life is pretty much summed up by this all-time #1 Dilbert cartoon.)
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Three more days to go! This will actually be my second retirement. My first was 5 years ago from a megacorp with 33 years of employment. Then, 2 years later, circumstances dictated my return to the workforce. For the last 3 years, I've worked in a small group, a subsidiary of a much larger, foreign owned company.It has been a mixed bag of frustrations and triumphs, but I'm happy with the sum total. I've paid off my kid's educations, and I'm feeling confident in my future plans. I'm looking forward to the new adventure! I don't really have any resentments at this point, and that's a good thing I think. The main thought on my mind is that I'll no longer be selling part of myself to someone else, and I'm really looking forward to that.