Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Interesting theory, even if it's completely incorrect.

Other than the hot dogs being moldy (but I don't think this is why) Do you have any idea why the green tint to the hot dogs?

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #62

See post #25.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Anyone who has ever been to Iceland has undoubtedly experienced what is probably the most famous hot dog stand in the world. It's called Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur and is on a street corner in downtown Reykjavik, an absolute icon.

When you get a hot dog there, it's almost mandatory that you order it "with everything". That means ketchup, sweet mustard, remoulade (a mayonnaise-based sauce), crisp fried onions, and raw onions. It costs about $4 and is made with a mixture of lamb, beef, and pork. No matter what time of day you show up, there will almost certainly be a line to order one.

While I was in Iceland some months back for a 2 week drive of the Ring Road I tried their hot dogs because I had heard so much about them. It is probably the most popular food in the country. For the life of me I don't understand why.

Cheers!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a vote for Nathan's. Boiled please. Then steamed in the bun
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
While I was in Iceland some months back for a 2 week drive of the Ring Road I tried their hot dogs because I had heard so much about them. It is probably the most popular food in the country. For the life of me I don't understand why.

Cheers!
This might explain it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

Quote:
Kæstur hákarl is a national dish of Iceland.

The meat of the Greenland shark is poisonous when fresh, due to a high content of urea and trimethylamine oxide, but may be consumed after being processed.[2][3]

The traditional method is by gutting and beheading a Greenland or sleeper shark and placing it in a shallow hole dug in gravelly sand, with the now cleaned cavity resting on a small mound of sand. The shark is then covered with sand and gravel, and stones are placed on top of the sand in order to press the shark. In this way the fluids are pressed out of the body. The shark ferments in this fashion for 6–12 weeks depending on the season. Following this curing period, the shark is then cut into strips and hung to dry for several months. During this drying period a brown crust will develop, which is removed prior to cutting the shark into small pieces and serving.

Kæstur hákarl contains a large amount of ammonia and has a strong smell, similar to many cleaning products.... Those new to it may gag involuntarily on the first attempt to eat it because of the high ammonia content.

Chef Anthony Bourdain described kæstur hákarl as "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he has ever eaten.[1]

Chef Gordon Ramsay challenged James May to sample three "delicacies"... ; after eating kæstur hákarl, Ramsay spat it out,

Archaeologist Neil Oliver tasted it in the BBC documentary Vikings as part of examining the Viking diet. He described it as reminiscent of "blue cheese but a hundred times stronger"

Chef Ainsley Harriott, during his series Ainsley Eats the Streets, was unable to handle the heavy ammonia taste and described it as "like chewing a urine-infested mattress".
Not surprisingly, "It is often eaten with a shot of the local spirit, a type of akvavit called brennivín."

So yeah, a bad hot dog sounds pretty good in comparison!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #66

Quote:
You must be Scottish. Haggis is great stuff! Maybe on a hot dog bun too. And for dessert followed by deep fried snickers bar. Don't watch this if you are not into traditional exotic foods or squeamish.

Cheers!
I had it on a cruise in Scotland. They piped it in, the Captain read Burn's "To a Haggis", and plunged a dagger into the center. We were all given a dram of scotch, but two of the people at my table did not drink, so I ended up with 3 glasses
By the way, I liked the taste of the Haggis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0242.JPG (606.9 KB, 9 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #67

I stopped eating hot dogs well before the article. More precisely, I avoid eating processed meat as much as possible. They sure taste good but pretty unhealthy stuff. I will eat it once in a while.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #68

Quote:

Cheers!
Generally speaking, Scandinavian cuisine is an oxymoron
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Anyone who has ever been to Iceland has undoubtedly experienced what is probably the most famous hot dog stand in the world. It's called Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur and is on a street corner in downtown Reykjavik, an absolute icon.

When you get a hot dog there, it's almost mandatory that you order it "with everything". That means ketchup, sweet mustard, remoulade (a mayonnaise-based sauce), crisp fried onions, and raw onions. It costs about $4 and is made with a mixture of lamb, beef, and pork. No matter what time of day you show up, there will almost certainly be a line to order one.

Been there! The stand is not far from the harbor and the hotels. Yes, we got it with everything.

We lived on hotdogs for lunch in Iceland. And sometimes for dinner. Everything else was too expensive. Mostly bought at the N1 gas stations.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Been there! The stand is not far from the harbor and the hotels. Yes, we got it with everything.

We lived on hotdogs for lunch in Iceland. And sometimes for dinner. Everything else was too expensive. Mostly bought at the N1 gas stations.

+1 Enjoyed 2 weeks there in May. Frequently ate at the N1 gas stations and bakeries.

Cheers!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
What? You don't like lutefisk?
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post

If it reeks of Bo Peep...IMG_0521.JPG

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:40 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Not having been to Iceland, I just looked up Baejarins Beztu Pylsur on Youtube.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote