Join Early Retirement Today

$50 LED Bulb
Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$50 LED Bulb

In honor of the new $50 light bulb,

The $50 light bulb you.

I'm gonna go to Home Depot and buy an LED bulb. Not at $50, but at $10.

I see the future..."to my nephew so-and-so, instead of my baseball card collection, I hearby leave my investment of LED light bulbs"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

$50 light bulb
Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

$50 light bulb

A short video of the $50 light bulb.... an LED version...

The $50 light bulb you

They say they will last 30 years.... heck, in my old house I had incandescent bulbs for 25 years... and I did not put them in!!!

I still see it as a waste of money for light that have little use, such as closet and garage lights...

I also am not sure of their claims.... I just had to replace a CF in my kitchen... it lasted 4 months... it was burned out for a few days before I got to it... and the base was HOT... so I think it was using electricity even without light...

I also hate how long it takes CF to get to full light... I replaced all 4 pot lights with dimmable ones upstairs... when you turn them on, they only put out 50% or less of their light... the place looks very dark for a few minutes... they also do not dim well....

Hope the price comes down on these soon.... and they do what they claim...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mass production will bring down the cost of LED bulbs. CFLs are only a temporary stepping stone to LEDs.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Oh great, now prepare for the one note pianos to show up.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I remember when LEDs first started getting wider distribution for boat lights. It was an amazing breakthrough, especially because power is such a scarce commodity aboard cruisers. Being able to use navigation and anchor lights that were bright and consumed less of the precious battery power was a huge game-changer.
I'm excited about the use of LEDs in other applications, especially for reducing my electricity bill further than just with CFLs.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

Once utility company rebates bring the cost down to the low 20's, people will start using them for hard-to-reach locations, and in applications where energy saving is more important than the cost of the bulb (people who are powered by solar etc.)

Then in a few years when the price has come down even more, we'll all be using them. I love the idea of LED bulbs.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
As long as the band keeps striking up the one-note subsidy symphony, what can we do but join in with our note?

(pitch pipe) hmmmmmmm - hmmmmmmmm - hmmmmm OK, I think I'm in tune now...

LEDs make a lot of sense. There is no need for subsidies. The first adopters will be places that need some combination of lights on 24/7, are in hard to reach (expensive labor costs to replace), and/or in cooled spaces (extra savings with less heat generated).

Or, as others have noted, in portable or other off-grid locations where energy savings create high cost savings.

Those early adopters will expand as the price drops, and producers will keep looking for ways to lower the costs to capture a larger market (like every other successful product). Or if a better technology comes along, that can compete - no need for the Govt to pick favorite technologies - how many engineers are there on Capital Hill?

If these things really last 30 years, as long as prices are dropping faster than 1/30th/year, it might make sense to wait (unless the KWhr savings offsets that).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #8

I plan to buy one and I'll gladly use the utility subsidy. Sometimes subsidies make sense to overcome inertia (or maybe it's momentum?).
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
I plan to buy one and I'll gladly use the utility subsidy. Sometimes subsidies make sense to overcome inertia (or maybe it's momentum?).
But why should any valuable product have any problem overcoming inertia on it's own?

People bought microwave ovens, Walkmans, iPods, laptops, and flat-screen TVs, etc. The fact that people liked them better than the alternatives was all it took to overcome inertia. What makes a light source any different?

-ERD50
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But why should any valuable product have any problem overcoming inertia on it's own?

People bought microwave ovens, Walkmans, iPods, laptops, and flat-screen TVs, etc. The fact that people liked them better than the alternatives was all it took to overcome inertia. What makes a light source any different?

-ERD50

1) Because, contrary to the Chicago School, people aren't economic automatons.
2) There are externalities hidden in the cost of higher energy devices (especially ones that give the appearance of the same work as the lower energy device). Some people have trouble with this term so I've provided the wiki definition,

Externality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

If I ever buy a $50 lightbulb, it won't be for environmental reasons, or LBYM reasons. It will be because I love the quality of light it produces.

Since I haven't seen the light from one yet, I don't know what the light is like that they produce.

A nice bright light of a pleasing quality seems like a much bigger deal to me now that I am in my 60's, than it did in earlier years. Vision dims a little bit with age for some of us, and a bright light can help.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Didn't take long.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2r View Post
if i ever buy a $50 lightbulb, it won't be for environmental reasons, or lbym reasons. It will be because i love the quality of light it produces inflation has eaten our lunch!
fify.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If I ever buy a $50 lightbulb, it won't be for environmental reasons, or LBYM reasons. It will be because I love the quality of light it produces.

Since I haven't seen the light from one yet, I don't know what the light is like that they produce.

A nice bright light of a pleasing quality seems like a much bigger deal to me now that I am in my 60's, than it did in earlier years. Vision dims a little bit with age for some of us, and a bright light can help.
I'm also interested in seeing what these would look like in my home, I agree that is very important (and somewhat subjective). I'm actually OK with CFLs in a lot of places, I use them in quite a few places where the lights are on a fair amount (and my porch lights), but I have a lot of dimmers, so that's limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
1) Because, contrary to the Chicago School, people aren't economic automatons.
I think my other examples counter that. And if they don't make the 'optimal' decisions, do we really think some govt group can make a better decision for them? Those end up being one-size-fits-all decisions, and often are not optimal. edit/add: as an example, the govt had decided that I should put a CFL in my attic in place of a 100W bulb. That light is on 10 minutes annually. Their decision is not optimal, economically or environmentally.

Quote:
2) There are externalities hidden in the cost of higher energy devices (especially ones that give the appearance of the same work as the lower energy device)
Fair enough. IMO, the best way to deal with that is to price electricity to include those costs (I assume you mean pollution). Then an unlimited number of market based solutions will arise to deal with those costs, rather than just a select few 'approved' solutions.

-ERD50
Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think my other examples counter that.
Your examples provide a better experience. Why get a Walkman? Portable music. Microwave? You can heat a frozen meal in 3 minutes instead of 15. iPod? You can carry ALL of your music with you. Etc. A light bulb provides light.

Quote:
edit/add: as an example, the govt had decided that I should put a CFL in my attic in place of a 100W bulb. That light is on 10 minutes annually. Their decision is not optimal, economically or environmentally.
Yep. However, to your point below, a tax on coal electricity ain't gonna happen. Banning 100 watt bulbs satisfies the objective to get a significant portion of the 100 watt light bulb users to stop using them in their lamps. Lighting an attic, as you mentioned, is a minimal use of energy. Switching out a living room lamp (or 3) with a CFL outweighs any loss with an attic bulb switch.

Quote:
Fair enough. IMO, the best way to deal with that is to price electricity to include those costs (I assume you mean pollution). Then an unlimited number of market based solutions will arise to deal with those costs, rather than just a select few 'approved' solutions.
Still waiting for the free market to fix this inefficiency....
Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I love to LED light bulbs that I own.

As of today, I have 9 that are like these:

A19 8.6-Watt (40W) LED Light Bulb-ECS 19 WW 120 at The Home Depot

These cast directionally, so I use them for task lights and ceiling fan lights.

I also have four that are these:

Amazon.com: GE 62180 9-Watt LED Soft White A19 Light Bulb: Home Improvement

These bulbs aren't directional and I used them in the vanity light of the bathroom.

I like the fact of having instant-on, no flicker, no time needed to heat up to get bright, no mercury used, and shouldn't burn out. Oh yeah, they are low in wattage too (only about 8 to 9 watts a bulb).
Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #17

Engineers have been working on LED brightness and color issues for decades. It's been difficult to match the color of light emitted by incandescent bulbs (which had themselves replicated the color of fire). One technique is to project the LED's bluish light through a yellow filter; it's a low-tech solution that IMO works fairly well.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #18

The use of LEDs in automobile tail lights has puzzled me. The incandescents are cheap, light weight, and when operating on a car's DC last for decades. I'd expect any energy savings from LEDs in a car to be offset by their heavier weight and, after an accident, greater replacement cost.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare
The use of LEDs in automobile tail lights has puzzled me. The incandescents are cheap, light weight, and when operating on a car's DC last for decades. I'd expect any energy savings from LEDs in a car to be offset by their heavier weight and, after an accident, greater replacement cost.
They're chosen for the appearance, rather than energy savings. LED strips can be fabricated to produce almost any shape or pattern desired, and fitted into spaces where a conventional lamp would be difficult or impractical.

I've selected some LED lighting in the home for the same reason, installing narrow strips tucked into milled pieced of cabinetry to produce a low temperature, low power, and safely low voltage very even light source where conventional bulbs wouldn't be safe or practical.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I am going to be one of those hard to convert people.... I do use CFLs around the house, but think they are a poor substitute when it comes to light output and color for the life of the bulb.... and real cost savings...

You lose any cost savings when...

A> you break the bulb
B> it burns out LONG before it says it will (happens to me very often, probably half of the bulbs I have bought have not lasted as long as a regular bulb)...

I hope the LEDs are not as bad....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote