Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The use of LEDs in automobile tail lights has puzzled me. The incandescents are cheap, light weight, and when operating on a car's DC last for decades. I'd expect any energy savings from LEDs in a car to be offset by their heavier weight and, after an accident, greater replacement cost.
I guess one advantage of LED taillight is that LED light turn on almost immediately whereas normal bulb takes time. So even 1/4 of a second gives atleast some more time (distance) to react (stop).
landover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I rarely pay more than a dollar for a CFL -- due to getting it from a promotion or a garage sale. Yes, there is quite a difference in quality from one brand to another. Usually, if it doesn't burn out after a month or so, it will last for years.

Quote:
I wouldn't say 'obsolete' - as long as we are still using 120V 60 Hz AC, it will keep on working.
So will a non-plain-paper fax machine, a corded telephone, an Apple II, a Bernouilli drive, a pager, a walkman, a VCR, payphones, and a dot-matrix printer.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
So will a non-plain-paper fax machine, a corded telephone, an Apple II, a Bernouilli drive, a pager, a walkman, a VCR, payphones, and a dot-matrix printer.
With LBYM I still routinely use 6 of the items on that list.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... as long as we are still using 120V 60 Hz AC, it will keep on working.
Quote:
Let me guess...you're currently using all of the above.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Depends on the definition of 'obsolete' that we are using. I was using a stricter one - it is no longer practical to use it for its intended function. Like a VCR would be 'obsolete' when you can't buy tapes for it anymore. They are somewhat obsolete with the switch to digital OTA - the internal tuner/timer no longer does what you want, you need a converter box and the VCR can't control the channel selection of that (w/o extra external stuff that probably isn't worth it).

A 'looser' definition would be - 'the newer versions are better'. A lot of people use the word that way, and I don't like it because it isn't specific. If I say 'obsolete' you know I mean there are problems using the old style. If I merely mean 'newer is better', I'll say that. When people use the looser term, I don't know which they mean w/o asking more questions.

Somewhere in-between is where the difference is so great, that it just doesn't make sense to use the old style. That Apple II probably doesn't run programs you would find useful, doesn't connect to the internet, etc - it just doesn't make sense to try to use it today for anything practical. A Walkman still works, but the pain of cassette tape versus small mp3 makes then unattractive. I doubt paging services are still available, are they? A corded phone performs its function as well as it did originally. I wouldn't call it obsolete (if you have a land line, it can function during a power outage), but you might prefer cordless.

But the LED gets plugged in and it produces light for (supposedly) 30 years. Sure, ten years from now you would not buy that same LED, newer ones would likely be a better value, but that doesn't affect the ability of the old one to continue to do its job.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I rarely pay more than a dollar for a CFL -- due to getting it from a promotion or a garage sale. Yes, there is quite a difference in quality from one brand to another. Usually, if it doesn't burn out after a month or so, it will last for years.

I have trouble parting from my Sony Mavica digicam that runs of a floppy disk. I know, it is obsolete and I don't use it anymore, but at one time that helped pave the digicam revolution.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I guess I see 30 years as so far in the future, that I expect wild increases in technology. Energy use of almost zero with special color temperatures that help you not feel hungry.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess I see 30 years as so far in the future, that I expect wild increases in technology. Energy use of almost zero with special color temperatures that help you not feel hungry.
Well, I don't know about color temperatures and appetites, but LEDs are already ~ 30% efficient, so there isn't a whole lot of room for improvement. I don't know if there are theoretical limits, but I'd guess doubling to 60% is about all we will see - a halving of energy consumption. Not exactly what I'd call 'wild increases'.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What burns me is that they let the Philips CEO claim his bulbs will last 30 years (possibly, but I've had a couple CFL bulbs burn out quickly so I'm not sold on that claim) while saying that incandescent bulbs burn out "in just a matter of months". I've had many bulbs I put in when I built my house 11 years ago not burn out, including some that are on for 3-6 hours most days. I've got a couple fixtures that did burn through bulbs quickly, and I went with lower wattage or CFLs there. Most are fine. Claiming they go in a matter of months is a lie.
Same complaint with CFLs. Some have gone out so quickly I had to check and make sure they weren't flash bulbs for one of my ancient cameras.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Same complaint with CFLs. Some have gone out so quickly I had to check and make sure they weren't flash bulbs for one of my ancient cameras.

+1

Edit to add.... For a 25 cent light bulb, no big deal, for a $5 CFL dimmable, it will get you chapped... for a $50 LED, I would be furious...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
By then we'll have all eaten enough radioactive waste mixed with plastic debris in our food sources we'll give off our own light. Hmmm...I don't feel so hungry now. Must be working!