Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I glanced at the list and did not see my pet peve. I always cringed when a boss of mine said that we were a "family." I never hesitated to jump in and advise him that I only had one family and could not support another in the manner that I support the current one.

I have no problem with terms like "team" but not family.
I completely agree. You can't fire your family so let's not pretend. The only time family enters into it is that i have to take of mine, so i can't tell you what I'm really thinking.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where I woriked, when someone would finally get serious and share the real scoop, it was "opening the kimona". Sometimes people would act this out in meetings and led to some interesting looks.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know it´s off the topic, but......there is something to be said about the politically correct way of saying some issues/things....
Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I know it´s off the topic, but......there is something to be said about the politically correct way of saying some issues/things....
Oh yes, the fine art of office diplomacy.

From a Thursday project status management meeting, between alleged project managers:

"So, how long will it take you to make these changes?"

- "Roughly five man-days to complete the changes, test, and have everything ready for integration."

"OK, so Monday then."

- "No, this will take five man-days of effort, and we'll have to add that to the existing workload and shuffle people about."

"Well, it's Thursday, and... Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday... So it'll be ready Monday night, correct?"

- "That turns out not to be the case. You see, there's a difference between man-days and calendar days..."

A certain amount of patience is required.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
"Well, it's Thursday, and... Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday... So it'll be ready Monday night, correct?"
"TGIF, only two more workdays until Monday!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I can add some color here. To your point, I find that communication about anything other than low-hanging fruit is rarely value-add on a go-forward basis. At the end of the day, net net, we just need to focus, double-click and get out in front of our deliverables, while management needs to keep their powder dry to have the bandwidth to deep-dive and ramp-up on our go-to-market challenges.

BTW, I'll be out of pocket for a few days, so let's take any followup offline.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
I can add some color here. To your point, I find that communication about anything other than low-hanging fruit is rarely value-add on a go-forward basis. At the end of the day, net net, we just need to focus, double-click and get out in front of our deliverables, while management needs to keep their powder dry to have the bandwidth to deep-dive and ramp-up on our go-to-market challenges.
Are you the Antichrist?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #48

Quote:

BTW, I'll be out of pocket for a few days, so let's take any followup offline.
Wow. I had no idea I'd worked for you, Dizzy, from 1997-2002, until I saw this. How ya been?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Wow. I had no idea I'd worked for you, Dizzy, from 1997-2002, until I saw this. How ya been?
That reminds me Keim, I have something I’d like to discuss with you that I think will help us work together more effectively. I really want to hear your feelings about this and share my perspective as well.

See also,
Corporate Bullshit Generator - Use it to sound smart at your next meeting
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #50

Quote:
That reminds me Keim, I have something I’d like to discuss with you that I think will help us work together more effectively. I really want to hear your feelings about this and share my perspective as well.

See also,
Corporate Bullshit Generator - Use it to sound smart at your next meeting
Thats pretty good, old friend. Have you seen this one:
Bullshit Bingo [Random!]
Old 11-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #51

dizzy, you are a master.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #52

Another is "do work around" instead of "work on". This one seems to be creeping in everywhere. I noticed it at a meeting at w@rk today, and also at Diocesan Convention (regional church governing body) the end of last month.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:46 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Another is "do work around" instead of "work on". This one seems to be creeping in everywhere. I noticed it at a meeting at w@rk today, and also at Diocesan Convention (regional church governing body) the end of last month.
I would have thought that "work around" would mean something like avoiding/coming to terms with an issue...... like getting around. But then, what do I know...?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:31 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

How about "we have to do their thinking for them" which meant we are going to do this other departments job for them,Thus became our work forever.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #55

[QUOTE=vicente solano;998622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post

Quote:
I would have thought that "work around" would mean something like avoiding/coming to terms with an issue...... like getting around. But then, what do I know...?
That's English for you—multiple quite different ways to say the same thing, and similar-sounding phrases with differing meanings.

There can be a "workaround" which is an alternative solution to a problem e.g. "we ran into a problem with the original design and had to develop a workaround at the last minute". I'm trying to think if I've ever heard "work around" used in the sense you describe. I know I've heard "talk around" used that way—"everyone knows what the problem is but nobody wants to admit it, so instead of discussing a solution we spent the whole meeting talking around it".

But what I've been hearing recently is not either of those. It's use of "do work around" instead of "work on" or just plain "work". For example, a manager might thank the finance team "for the work they have done around budgeting", rather than "for their work on the budget" or "for their budget work". There is also "dealing with issues around X" rather than "solving problems with X" and other similar constructions.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
[QUOTE=kyounge1956;998679]
Quote:
That's English for you—multiple quite different ways to say the same thing, and similar-sounding phrases with differing meanings.

There can be a "workaround" which is an alternative solution to a problem e.g. "we ran into a problem with the original design and had to develop a workaround at the last minute". I'm trying to think if I've ever heard "work around" used in the sense you describe. I know I've heard "talk around" used that way—"everyone knows what the problem is but nobody wants to admit it, so instead of discussing a solution we spent the whole meeting talking around it".

But what I've been hearing recently is not either of those. It's use of "do work around" instead of "work on" or just plain "work". For example, a manager might thank the finance team "for the work they have done around budgeting", rather than "for their work on the budget" or "for their budget work". There is also "dealing with issues around X" rather than "solving problems with X" and other similar constructions.
"Tap dance around" (not used officially).
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hate that one too. I wish people would stop being so indirect and wishy washy. Just do it, dammit!