Join Early Retirement Today

55+?
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

55+?

Today DW and I went to check out a "55+" community under development. Turns out this 55+ community is part of a larger development, a combination of age-restricted and non-restricted buildings containing condo apartments. The few amenities - clubhouse, parkland - are shared. I'm thinking, what's the point? If what you're after is an "active adult" lifestyle, whatever that is (and we're still not convinced we are), how are those needs met by living in a building in a complex that also houses families? Is this common?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

I would rather have a mix. The only reason I'd want to move to a 55+ is if it were significantly less expensive. A normal mix of ages is entertaining to me. But then again, I'm the only one on the culdesac that digs the teen drummer and his band.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Your point about the price reminds me: why buy in an age-restricted building in a mixed age complex? If you need to sell, you are limiting your potential market.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Perhaps noise level? Loud parties and screaming toddlers are less likely in such a place.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like living in a neighborhood where people aren't commuting to work twice a day, and aren't mowing their lawns on the weekend. I also don't have to worry about kids using the pool and exercise equipment. It's quite peaceful here.

I don't think I would want to live in 55+ plus development that was really mixed, especially not without separate facilities.

There is a regular housing development across the street, and once you exit our development to do stuff you see plenty of families. But I really like the peace and quiet of a neighborhood where most people are not commuting to work and school, etc.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Perhaps noise level? Loud parties and screaming toddlers are less likely in such a place.....
True, but we don't have that problem in our house either

Frankly I think the mixed residences makes buying 55 restricted a lousy deal.
Its really just a way for a developer to market the property,
1 building is 55+
1 building is young families
1 building is for singles
1 building is for drug addicts and crackheads.

Everyone is happy and can move to another building at a cost if their needs change
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in a very large 55+ community and it's a blast. Like college all over again, except that everyone's at home and in bed by 10 [emoji3]. There's always something to do and the music, food and clothing are designed for our demographic. It's not for everyone - I have a few friends who are extreme introverts and they would not be happy here. But if you like socializing and enjoy going out to classes (included in the amenities fee), it's a great place to live.
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Today DW and I went to check out a "55+" community under development. Turns out this 55+ community is part of a larger development, a combination of age-restricted and non-restricted buildings containing condo apartments. The few amenities - clubhouse, parkland - are shared. I'm thinking, what's the point? If what you're after is an "active adult" lifestyle, whatever that is (and we're still not convinced we are), how are those needs met by living in a building in a complex that also houses families? Is this common?
Are there several strata within the larger development? If the over 55 building is its own strata, the cost of wear and tear on that building is probably less so your strata fees should go further. Of course you will be paying for your share of common property as well. If sharing the pool with families would bother you, then a mixed community is not for you.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
True, but we don't have that problem in our house either

Frankly I think the mixed residences makes buying 55 restricted a lousy deal.
Its really just a way for a developer to market the property,
1 building is 55+
1 building is young families
1 building is for singles
1 building is for drug addicts and crackheads.

Everyone is happy and can move to another building at a cost if their needs change
Singles, families, 55+; it's the Circle Of Life! Funny, they didn't mention the crackhead building on the tour, but I did spy a Soylent Green booth at the food court. ;-)
Old 08-03-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Kinda sounds a little too much like being on a compound in Riyadh.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:16 AM   #11
gone traveling

I guess it might allow you to have an apartment in a lower noise building than one with Kids. We currently live in a gated community of smaller homes, but its mixed with families with Kids, childless couples and retirees. We like it a lot, although no amenities other than ponds and walking paths, so we have to supply our own activities.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #12

Never having lived in a 55+, I can't say, but I've visited, and it looked too cookie-cutter for my tastes. A community with a little spice? That's why they invented ear plugs.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We moved in a small, 55+ community 1.5 years ago from a normal neighborhood where we lived for 22 years. Our two story house was too big and the up and down was becoming a burden for DW who has COPD. The 55+ location house is smaller and is 15 years old - The community contains 432 single family homes ranging from 1650 to 2800 square feet in size. The HOA fees are reasonable and cover front yard mowing/trimming, gutter cleaning and fence repair.

It's quiet and boring here (except when the ambulances are screaming up and down the streets). The community center is nice and the activities appear to be geared to the over 70 crowd, of which there are many of in here. We tried participating in some activities, but it was like watching paint dry for me. I'm still very active and don't really communicate with folks that are in wheel chairs and on oxygen. I'm a little sarcastic here, but that's how I feel. Personally, I think we (at least me) feel we made a mistake buying in here at this time in our lives.

Our next door widow neighbor fell over dead in her front yard a few months ago @ 92 years old and there were several other houses on our street where people died or were moved into assisted living or nursing homes in the last year or so. DW doesn't like it when I call our street "the circle of death", but that's what's going on in these places, especially if they have been around for 15 or more years and have an aging population.

Our neighbor on the other side of us is a 78 year old widow who is very nice, but has become a royal pain in the @$$ ever since I fixed a few things on her property. Now I'm "Mr Fixit" to her and she never shuts up when I help her. I guess she is lonely.

There are lots of widows and widowers here as I witness when I walk the dog in the morning and late in the day. Lat week, a house on our street came up for sale and I saw an older woman get out of a car to have a look at it with her RE agent. She had a hard time getting her walker up the slanted driveway. She does not need a house like these.

One thing that surprised me about these neighborhoods is the lack of visitors the residents have. I have rarely seen children visit their parent(s), even on holidays. It appears that about 1/2 the residents drive cars and I see many cars in the garages that never move. You very rarely see anyone outside working in the yard or just puttering around. I seem to be the only one on our street that does things like that.

I'm kind of rambling here, but all of the above is factual and probably true of many smaller 55+ communities. Trouble is, DW loves it here . It's close to church, the hospital, shopping and her children and grandchildren. For me, I escape to the old neighborhood to hang with some old friends whenever the opportunity arises.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I like living in a neighborhood where people aren't commuting to work twice a day, and aren't mowing their lawns on the weekend. I also don't have to worry about kids using the pool and exercise equipment. It's quite peaceful here.

I don't think I would want to live in 55+ plus development that was really mixed, especially not without separate facilities.

There is a regular housing development across the street, and once you exit our development to do stuff you see plenty of families. But I really like the peace and quiet of a neighborhood where most people are not commuting to work and school, etc.
Sound like Heaven to me.

After almost 30 years in the loudest, most invasive place on the planet (Lost Angeles), I am looking forward to moving soon and reducing the noise, frenzy, and unconsciousness experienced daily at my current location. Not interested in screaming kids or young people in their 20/30's "partying" at 3:00 am like they were teenagers (my current location). I'm looking forward to not having anyone remotely connected to the entertainment industry within miles of me.

OTOH, while I really enjoy being around people around my age and much older, I'm not sure about hanging with the "aches and pains" crowd. During my doctor's visit today, blood tests revealed I've lowered my bad cholesterol while raising the good considerably without medication and based on diet alone, something my doctor said only the top 5% of patients experience. I saw the chart state that I look much younger than my age, and the only aches/pains I experience is after my intense workouts. I have no health issues and don't like engaging in discussions about having less energy, being able to do less, etc., because it doesn't apply to how I live or experience aging.

I can very well see myself at a 55+ park as your description and that of others I've read sure sound like what I'm looking for: peace and serenity.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote