60 minutes and regular programming

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
Seems now that football season is underway one of my favorite shows 60 Minutes gets put on after the game is finished which is kind of irritating but i can live with it ,what really gets me irate is this year my cable provider or some where up the chain has been cutting 60 minutes in mid story and switching to regular programming at 8pm which in my area is some idiotic reality show called Amazing Race:rant:

Why cant they put 60 Minutes in a time slot that isnt affected by football.?

It was probably CBS that made the decision. The network slides programming up to a certain time; then it cuts down on the length of 60min

It will only be the weeks that CBS hosts an NFL doubleheader (which should only be 8 of the 17 NFL weeks).

Or move to the west coast.

I guess you just figured out which of the three shows is the least important to the networks ratings.

Sports kills a lot of shows that are scheduled right after. Futurama on Fox was pretty much killed because it was regularly run over by a preceding football game, and then the network was surprised when nobody watched it. ::)

I wonder why the networks cant allocate a reasonable time period for a sporting event, say 4 hours for a football game, and then fill any residual empty time with something fluffy and related like a post game show. I suppose theres some sort of benefit to doing it the way they do it for ad revenues or somesuch. After all, the viewers aint paying them.

I wonder why the networks cant allocate a reasonable time period for a sporting event, say 4 hours for a football game, and then fill any residual empty time with something fluffy and related like a post game show. I suppose theres some sort of benefit to doing it the way they do it for ad revenues or somesuch. After all, the viewers aint paying them.

When the game goes over viewers do tend to stay with the network.
If the game goes long enough, they do cancel 60 min and fill to the next show.
They don't want to delay local news too long - the stations get pissed.

It was probably CBS that made the decision. The network slides programming up to a certain time; then it cuts down on the length of 60min

Nope... I don't have cable and I got the whole 60 minutes program recorded.... and the Amazing Race which is what I want to watch.... I record an extra hour just to make sure I get it all...

It was a cable decision... probably something with time zone etc... who knows...

As I remember it, 60 minutes initially survived because of the NFL. Then, with only a few options, a built-in audience watching the Sunday game just hung around for 60 Minutes. Today, that audience just moves to NBC for Sunday nite football or grabs the laptop and surfs.

I do remember the NBC game and Heidi. This fiasco might have something to with networks staying with the game.

Heidi Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't answer the OP's original question: Why don't they move it away from sports. It must be making money because it's the longest running prime time program ever.

Back
Top Bottom