Join Early Retirement Today

$7.50 mo. telephone inside wire protection
Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

$7.50 mo. telephone inside wire protection

Hi All,

Would like your opinion. I live in an older 1972 house with older phone wiring. At&t charges me 7.50 a month for inside wire protection. In other words if my phone lines go out or get messed up, there is no service call fee for repairs. That amounts to $90 a year. Coincidently a service call for the first hour with At&t is either $90 or $99.

I have been here two years so far with no service calls, so $180.00 down the tubes. Do you all carry this on your home phones? Do you think it is a waste?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't carry any service contracts on anything in my home. I keep getting mailings trying to woo me for various things, most recently from the gas company, but articles I have read pooh-pooh these contracts as not worth the money.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Administrator

I think it is a waste of money, myself. But then, I am inclined to be very stingy with repeating monthly charges, since they add up to a lot over time. Besides, if the wiring went out, wouldn't you prefer to have the new wiring installed, instead? I would, anyway.

A friend moved into a 1960's house with an original built-in wall phone. Rent had been paid on the phone for almost half a century. He told AT&T to come get it and they said not to worry about it. The rent no longer appears on his bill. The phone still works.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a big waste of money. I'd only consider it for the first month I lived in a house, just until you're sure all the phone jacks work consistently (it's possible the previous owners have done something unconventional that you wouldn't want to have to troubleshoot). Then dump it. Phone wiring is simple, there's nothing to wear out, and there's nothing dangerous about trying to fix it yourself in the very unlikely event something does go wrong.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #5

I don't pay for this protection and in general I don't pay for any type of "extended warranty" or purchase protection. I figure that to make this type of service useful, I'd have to know which thing was going to go bad (the phone wiring? the refrigerator? my laptop computer? ... you get the idea). If I tried to guess, I'm sure I'd guess wrong so I buy none of it. Plus, I adhere to the policy that I don't pay for insurance for something I could afford to repair or replace if necessary.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It is a rip off. In 30 years of home ownership the only internal wiring problems I've ever had were caused by ME.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This is a typical upsell that phone companies push to make free money. I live in an 80 year old house with four phone lines. On several occasions the phone has died and in every case the cause has been outside the house. Usually it's squirrels chewing on the wires, or a fallen tree branch stretching them after a storm. Every single time when I called the phone company, they tried to sell me inside wiring protection. I always say no.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Do you think it is a waste?
Yes....unless you are the phone company collecting $7.50/month from all the folks who pay for this outrageously priced "insurance".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Waste of money. Last time I paid for any wiring, I figured the phone company had some magic ways of running the wires through the walls. Instead he just ran the wire along the outside wall, and drilled a hole into the house. "Heck, I could do that." I realized.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

BTW, it's usually very easy to tell if a phone problem is inside the house or outside. In most current installations, at the point where the phone wires enter the house there is a plastic box. Open the box and you'll find a few things, including a regular phone jack. Plug a regular phone into the jack--if you can hear a dial tone and the sound quality is good, then the phone lines coming to the house are probably fine and your problem is somewhere inside wiring in your house. (And maybe then you go sign up for insurance)
When you call for service, this is exactly what the phone repair person is going to do. It's how they decide whether the repair is one you have to pay for (wiring inside your house) or something they'll fix for free (wiring coming to your house).
Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

This sometimes works:

1. unplug all the phones
2. wait 5 minutes
3. plug in one phone
4. check to see if there is a connection
If yes, then plug the other phones in and you're done!
If no, repeat steps 3 and 4 until all phones are connected.
If there is no response, call the phone company (using your cell phone!).
Old 06-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If there is no response, call the phone company (using your cell phone!).
You can skip all the other steps and go directly to this last one. Tell them you no longer want your land line - we ditched ours three years ago and never looked back.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You can skip all the other steps and go directly to this last one. Tell them you no longer want your land line - we ditched ours three years ago and never looked back.
I can't ditch my land line because I am a physician, I do call, and I am required to have one.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I can't ditch my land line because I am a physician, I do call, and I am required to have one.
My advice was directed to the OP, not to you Doc. I understand you dedicated working folks still have chains around your lives.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When this fee was a dollar or two a month, I had it. When I was working from home and had two phone lines (pre-DSL), I felt it was worth it. But once this fee started rising more and more, I had enough of it and dropped it a few years ago.

I actually did have a problem with one of my phone lines years ago when I was working from home but the problem was with the line outside, not inside.

I think it is too costly to keep now and is simply more of a money-maker for the phone company.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 with it being a waste. The fix is easy, and there are plenty of handypeople out there to help if you need it (probably for a much lower price).
Old 06-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #17

The fee is a waste. Phone wiring is not rocket science - I suspect that anyone on this board could wire, troubleshoot, and repair a home phone wiring system with a little research.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Didn't the phone company also use to rent the handsets to customers for decades and decades for a dollar or so a month?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

My experience with this service is unusual. My house is built 1982 and I purchased in 1990. When I first cancelled my wire pro service, a month later my phone went dead. Thank goodness att gave us break and fix it. This was 1 year after we purchased the house. We kept the service since its only $3 at the time. When they raised it again we cancelled it and sure enough a month later our phone went dead. Always busy signal and no dial tone. We then purchased the wirepro and have them come out to fix our phone. Not one time did they go in the house to fix the wire. All they did when in the house was plugged in their service phone to see if we have dial tone. This time they fix it again after a few minutes messing with the box and working outside. Last november we noticed that they raised the wirepro service again so we decided to cancel it. Sure enough a month later same problem. We called att and they said the problem is inside the house. All this problem we have they claim is inside our house. I am glad that someone started this thread and I believe att is messing with us.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Didn't the phone company also use to rent the handsets to customers for decades and decades for a dollar or so a month?
Yes - and they used to charge to install phone jacks - UNLESS you also ordered a phone for each one. We ordered 8 phones, free installation of all the jacks, and cancelled most of the phones after a month or two. My one battle with ATT that I won!