Join Early Retirement Today

7 bad financial choices from 'Breaking Bad'
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

7 bad financial choices from 'Breaking Bad'

I probably should have attached this to the recent Breaking Bad thread. If you have viewed it you are probably aware of the many financial missteps that all of the characters make. I guess that's what makes it so interesting~What new stupid mistake will they make with there millions.

Quote:
Spoiler alert: If you haven't watched "Breaking Bad" up to the season four finale and plan to, you might want to save this article for later.
The Emmy-winning hit drama "Breaking Bad," which launched the first half of its fifth and final season July 15 on AMC, is all about radical transformations. And not the kind that are good -- or legal.
Lead character Walter White (Bryan Cranston) transforms from a rumpled New Mexico high school teacher diagnosed with terminal lung cancer into a millionaire maker of crystal meth. He does it to provide financial support for his wife, their teenage son with cerebral palsy and their baby daughter.
Walt and other family members make terrible, shocking choices, from Walt killing business accomplices to his wife, Skyler (Anna Gunn), deciding to help launder his illegal money. Walt's quest to provide for his family after he's succumbed to his illness turns into a mission filled with danger and death. He's the Everyman gone haywire.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I probably should have attached this to the recent Breaking Bad thread. If you have viewed it you are probably aware of the many financial missteps that all of the characters make. I guess that's what makes it so interesting~What new stupid mistake will they make with there millions.
Wow. Thanks. You just saved me hours of watching re-runs!

I bet we can predict the "Breaking Bad" ending, too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

That maybe the worse Breaking Bad article ever.

Quote:
So he keeps the diagnosis a secret, quits the car wash, falls in line with ex-student-turned-meth-maker Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) and produces high-grade methamphetamine to make more money.
It would have been better for Walt's family if he'd just bought weekly lottery tickets, says Lewis Perkins, a financial adviser at California-based Comprehensive Financial Solutions Inc.
But seriously, a variable annuity is a good way to provide for loved ones, Perkins says.
So when faced with incurable cancer instead of turning making meth, Walt should have bought a variable annuity. I guess it is better than making meth but only slightly.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
That maybe the worse Breaking Bad article ever.

So when faced with incurable cancer instead of turning making meth, Walt should have bought a variable annuity. I guess it is better than making meth but only slightly.
Yea my exact thoughts. Seems like the article is a VA sales piece for the financial advisor that was quoted.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote