Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd be looking for some really good deals on muscle / sports cars.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #22

Regardless of future gas price increases I will always drive a 4cyl. small suv with 4/all wheel drive. At 6'6" I need the height of an suv and 4/all wheel drive gives me piece of mind in 8 inches of fresh snow when driving home at 5:00am on unplowed roads. $7,10, or 50 a gallon won't change that. I don't have room for a second vehicle and i'm not going to sell my condo and buy one that's $100,000 more just to save a few hundred a year on gas. I only drive about 4000-5000 miles per year, consolidating trip whenever possible. I did that even when gas was 1.xx per gallon. The only thing that will change for me is I may eventualy, finally, use a debit card to pay for gas instead of handing over $100+ in cash.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #23

I think that I'm more concerned with the price of food if gas goes up to $7. If the price of food reaches a new peak...no more eating out, I guess.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #24

Ill move out to the country. Get some horses. Live off the land! Oh Ill grow peaches too.. and eat them..

Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #25

Not change much. Look at smaller pickups when the GMC Sierra wears out in about 15 years, it only gets driven about every third day as it is, average 753 miles/month since new, that's about a tank and a half a month. I can afford that even at $7/gallon.

And I just got the notice of what my COLA is, that will cover it and then some.

Most of DW's driving is back and forth to FIL's house, he is moving closer (I hope) when we get his house fixed up and sold. When he's in a retirement community there will be less need for her to look after him, so we'll do other stuff, perhaps longer but less frequent trips. I dunno, we'll manage, we always have.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The major impacts would be macro, not micro.

Even at $7/gal, I don't think I'd change much in my fuel consumption habits. We don't drive a lot, so there's no major $$$ to be saved there. I'd look to consolidate trips more than I do now.

I'd expect that fuel prices this high would significantly increase the cost of everything we buy. Also, these fuel prices would put a big hurt on the economy, so equity returns (and our long-term income) would also be impacted adversely.
With fewer dollars coming in and more dollars going out for necessities, we'd need to take a harder look at the household budget, discretionary spending overall, and how much part-time work I do. Overall, I think there would be impacts far beyond mitigation with a smaller car or higher tire pressures.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If gas hits $7 a gallon, I'll carpool with DW. It would take some effort, but we've already decided on it.

It's not an affordability issue, more of a principle issue. Why not do it now? Because it's not $7 a gallon yet.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hummmm.......... At $7 a gallon I might just be tempted to park my truck out on the street, leave the windows down and the keys in it.

Actually it's not too bad at $4/gal but I hate paying for some oil company executive's early retirement so I keep the usage to a minimum. I had to fill up last Saturday, the first I bought gas since May 6. Got 53 days on 20 gallons.

Going to see if I can stretch this new tankfull to 60 days.

So far YTD gas purchases are $355 and I have a full tank and DW has 1/2 tank left.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

To look for the silver lining, this could be a good thing. Americans will stop being so wasteful and, theoretically, maybe certain aspects of life could be better. We'd all have to learn how to tighten the belt.

Ok, well, I'm just lookin' for the good in this whole deal.

As for me, though, I would start walking places if everything here wasn't so spread out and walking any place in 110 degree heat is not an option. I walked home from a hospital a month or so ago, which was like four miles in 100 degree heat. I had to stop off several times and look for shade. Thank God two miles into it there was a grocery store so I could get some water, which was hot by the time I got home.

BTW, UncleHoney, you must share your secret for stretching gas out so much!

I don't know what else I could do to preserve on things, aside from just not going anywhere.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #30

Many Europeans have long paid more than $7 per gallon for gas. The last time I was there, things didn't seem to have ground to a halt. People there generally did drive more fuel-efficient cars (and motorcycles and scooters), and weren't shy about putting 4 or 5 people into a very small car. Everyone adapts, and life goes on. I think we're just in the early, painful phase of the adaptation.

I don't see much changing for us personally if gas goes to $7. I only drive my SUV 8k miles a year, so even though it gets lousy mileage, fuel is not a huge expense. Our next new car purchase, in 4 years or so, would probably be an efficient 4-door that's still fun to drive (e.g. a Honda Fit).

I love cars, so the best part about this "crisis" is that we'll finally start getting some of the sporty European hatchbacks here that the manufacturers could never make a business case for before. For example, Ford is going to bring their Euro Focus to the States (it's infinitely cooler and sportier than the current Focus sold here). VW has just started selling their turbo-diesel Jettas, which will also be available with sport suspension packages, and get mid-40s gas mileage along with big torque numbers. Good stuff!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #31

Since I started biking to work (50 mile round trip) once a week and taking off Friday's I've cut back about 30 gallons of gas per month. I'm going to start biking twice a week next week.

If $7 a gallon happens, I better bike every day.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #32

One round trip at 50 miles and taking off Fridays = 100 miles a week = about 400 miles a month. 30 Gallons = 400 miles? Nice way to save a good $1200 or so a year though
Old 07-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn48 View Post

BTW, UncleHoney, you must share your secret for stretching gas out so much!
The best method I've found so far is stay out of the drivers seat as much as possible. Even when I was working I could squeeze about 28-34 days out of a tank, only 9 miles round trip.

I do a lot of trip planning trying to conserve as much as I can. Hit the post office, then the dentist office, then the grocery store.... I keep a running list of things that I need from Lowes and maybe go once a week.

No weeds in the yard and the grass gets mowed about twice a week so that keeps me off the streets too.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
The best method I've found so far is stay out of the drivers seat as much as possible. Even when I was working I could squeeze about 28-34 days out of a tank, only 9 miles round trip.

I do a lot of trip planning trying to conserve as much as I can. Hit the post office, then the dentist office, then the grocery store.... I keep a running list of things that I need from Lowes and maybe go once a week.

No weeds in the yard and the grass gets mowed about twice a week so that keeps me off the streets too.
Since Jan 1:
Gasoline:
23.55 gallons
$82.24
Miles:
Old 07-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
One round trip at 50 miles and taking off Fridays = 100 miles a week = about 400 miles a month. 30 Gallons = 400 miles? Nice way to save a good $1200 or so a year though
Since months are a little longer than 4 weeks, I think I'm saving about 9 trips or 450 miles per month, plus I'm a little more efficient in my other driving trips, plus my Jeep only gets 16 MPG. So 30 gals at 16 mpg =480 miles which is probably close
Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Right now its a 100 mile RT to visit the MIL each week and usually 28 mile tr to the nearest town once a week. When Mil passes we'll probably drop to one 100 mile RT to the big city for a COSTCO run once per month and a weekly run to town.

I've been retired for a year today and mileage on the vehicles dropped from 20K per on the car and 10k per year on the truck to 7k on the car and 1.5k on the truck. Of course I've doubled the run time on the tractor doing work around the place working on the honey do list