Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Dumb lady........she got what she deserved. Of course, she will sue. I think the dash cam from the police will show the officer acted in the correct fashion.

I always cooperate with law enforcement in my dealings with them. They have guns, tasers, pepper spray, shotguns, and more training than me........
It occurred to me that the deputy KNEW he was being recorded, while she might not have even thought about that in her anger at being pulled over.
This will send a strong message to her type...Smile, you're not on candid camera, this is real live video and it is real evidence.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What is with these cops?

This guy should be ashamed of himself.
jambo - did you and I watch the same video?

I cringe every time I see a cop having to stand outside a stopped car on a busy road. I am afraid he will get hurt in the line of duty. He was right to get her and him off to the side. She resisted.

She started out with an attitude - " you gonna put a 72 YO woman in jail?". And it went downhill from there. I didn't know that the law states that at 72, it is OK to do 60 in a 45.

I'd stop at putting her in jail though. I'd pity her cellmate.

But I'd like to see the book thrown at her, resisting arrest, etc. Might be a lesson for the next jerk that thinks they are above the law, and that a cop has no right to protect themselves during a traffic stop.

-ERD50

Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
jambo - did you and I watch the same video?

I cringe every time I see a cop having to stand outside a stopped car on a busy road. I am afraid he will get hurt in the line of duty. He was right to get her and him off to the side. She resisted.

She started out with an attitude - " you gonna put a 72 YO woman in jail?". And it went downhill from there. I didn't know that the law states that at 72, it is OK to do 60 in a 45.

I'd stop at putting her in jail though. I'd pity her cellmate.

But I'd like to see the book thrown at her, resisting arrest, etc. Might be a lesson for the next jerk that thinks they are above the law, and that a cop has no right to protect themselves during a traffic stop.

-ERD50
Speeding tickets are not worth getting tasered over. Go to traffic court, pleade your case, get a lower fine or less points and move on........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Speeding tickets are not worth getting tasered over. Go to traffic court, pleade your case, get a lower fine or less points and move on........
Plus, it may not have mattered going 15 over in an active construction zone, but in more borderline cases your attitude can also be the difference between a ticket and a warning.

You'll get a lot more warnings with "yes, sir" and "no, sir" than by doing what she did.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I canŽt prove it, but my impression is that no well-mannered, polite and reasonable person is mistreated by the police.
If your Law enforcement officials donŽt let the media see the above youŽll never dump the very bad press you have arond here. IŽve always been in doubt, pro cops.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I canŽt prove it, but my impression is that no well-mannered, polite and reasonable person is mistreated by the police.
If your Law enforcement officials donŽt let the media see the above youŽll never dump the very bad press you have arond here. IŽve always been in doubt, pro cops.
There are bad cops no doubt. However, in my life all my dealings with law enforcement have been positive.

Except that onetime when I did...
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The cop could have taken this attitude
The rest of the story: It's Walter Brennan in that car!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post
She surely didn't sustain any injury to her lying filthy mouth and so what's the beef. She is trash.
I'm not condemning the officer in the video, but your statements
are scary. Please tell me you're not a police officer, at least not
one who deals with the public.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Well, she (literally) asked for it! No sympathy from me...
Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The cop could have taken this attitude...
That motorist audio had to be dubbed in. There is no body language reaction at all from the officer except for the clipboard grab and littering segment. In the face of all that verbal abuse and swearing, it just doesn't fit. Whatever he was saying, the trooper had the patience of a saint.
I think the motorist was indeed agitated, but not anywhere near the level on the audio track I heard.

I got a major belly laugh when the amount of the fine (2:13 elapsed time) was told to the driver.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I think the fact that she had children and those children had children is not pertinent to the issue. I wonder why the media emphasized that? Would their opinion of her actions and foul mouth been different if she had chosen to be child-free?

Also, the fact that she lied in regard to her behavior during the arrest when interviewed prior to the tapes being released tells a lot about her character, her mental health status and her outlook on life. This was probably an experience she would have benefitted from decades ago.

For the safety of the public she should not be allowed to drive again. Of course, since she'll have more money than Oprah by the time the law suites are settled, she'll be able to afford a chauffer anyway.........
Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #32

IMHO the woman was uncooperative and defiant and the policeman used excessive force.

Amazing how quickly people choose sides, even when there's no need.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good thing he had the option of a tazer or he would have thought she was such a threat to his safety he would have had to shoot her.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Good thing he had the option of a tazer or he would have thought she was such a threat to his safety he would have had to shoot her.
What would you have thought if it were a 22-year-old male acting exactly as this woman did?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
What would you have thought if it were a 22-year-old male acting exactly as this woman did?
It wasn't a 22 year old male, it was a 72 year old defiant and belligerent woman.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It wasn't a 22 year old male, it was a 72 year old defiant and belligerent woman.
But the point is: Does someone deserve "kindler, gentler" treatment because they are old and female instead of young and male, regardless of how much an ass they are making of themselves?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But the point is: Does someone deserve "kindler, gentler" treatment because they are old and female instead of young and male, regardless of how much an ass they are making of themselves?
Is the use of force and physical aggression justified because of a bad attitude or in response to a physical threat or aggression toward the policeman? I'm not siding with either - her attitude was unacceptable and his response was excessive.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I've been pretty busy today, so at this point, I don't think I would want to tangle with either one of them...
Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #39

Taser isn't so bad. He could have used his nightstick.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is the use of force and physical aggression justified because of a bad attitude or in response to a physical threat or aggression toward the policeman? I'm not siding with either - her attitude was unacceptable and his response was excessive.
You did see the physical threat and aggression, right? The cop had not frisked her, so he had no way to know whether she had a knife or gun on her (it's Texas after all - I'm sure no offense will be taken!). The officer is allowed to use reasonable force necessary to effect the arrest. Reasonable force seems to have been applied here.