Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
$73 per person for 4th of July food? Yeah right
Old 07-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
$73 per person for 4th of July food? Yeah right

Here we go again, Where do these people get these numbers from? 500k for medical expenses, now its $73 per person for hot dog and a burger.Americans to spend $7.1 billion on Fourth of July activities. My mother in laws 2nd husband was wealthy. He knew how to throw a 4th of July party. It happened to be his mothers birthday as well. He pulled out all the stops, burgers, hot dogs, shrimp cocktail, steaks(rib eyes), booze, beer soda you name it. As usual I got the 2 am left overs because I always got stuck working the holiday. But even he didnt spend $73 a person.
__________________

__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Here we go again, Where do these people get these numbers from? 500k for medical expenses, now its $73 per person for hot dog and a burger.Americans to spend $7.1 billion on Fourth of July activities. My mother in laws 2nd husband was wealthy. He knew how to throw a 4th of July party. It happened to be his mothers birthday as well. He pulled out all the stops, burgers, hot dogs, shrimp cocktail, steaks(rib eyes), booze, beer soda you name it. As usual I got the 2 am left overs because I always got stuck working the holiday. But even he didnt spend $73 a person.
Check your math. Mine says 320 million people @ $22 each comes out to $7.1B. Not excessive, if you include the beer, fireworks, and trips to the hospital.
__________________

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 13,079
The cited article says
Quote:
Of those celebrating the Fourth of July, 162 million people will take part in a cookout of picnic, spending an average of $73 dollars per person just for food.
I'm assuming that includes a lot of alcohol, and maybe some expensive steaks and a lot of sides that will largely wind up in the trash.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,332
I spent $11 on a big club sandwich with fries and a diet Coke, at the bar down the street. That's including tax and tip. Then I brought half the sandwich and fries home for dinner. Frank did the same. That's a lot more than we usually eat, but what can I say, it's a holiday. (burp!)

Guess we are cheapskates by comparison with the average American. Apparently eating at a sports bar is way cheaper than a cookout.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Here we go again, Where do these people get these numbers from? 500k for medical expenses, now its $73 per person for hot dog and a burger.Americans to spend $7.1 billion on Fourth of July activities. My mother in laws 2nd husband was wealthy. He knew how to throw a 4th of July party. It happened to be his mothers birthday as well. He pulled out all the stops, burgers, hot dogs, shrimp cocktail, steaks(rib eyes), booze, beer soda you name it. As usual I got the 2 am left overs because I always got stuck working the holiday. But even he didnt spend $73 a person.
We usually invite the whole neighborhood over for Wagyu steaks and Dom Perignon big gulps. Maybe I'm bringing up the average.......NOT!
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 4,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I spent $11 on a big club sandwich with fries and a diet Coke, at the bar down the street. That's including tax and tip. Then I brought half the sandwich and fries home for dinner. Frank did the same. That's a lot more than we usually eat, but what can I say, it's a holiday. (burp!)

Guess we are cheapskates by comparison with the average American. Apparently eating at a sports bar is way cheaper than a cookout.
I got you beaten. I made the chicken dish for less than $5. Garlic and rosemary are from the garden. Abundant fresh tomatoes from my garden. It's fresh and free.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Check your math. Mine says 320 million people @ $22 each comes out to $7.1B. Not excessive, if you include the beer, fireworks, and trips to the hospital.
Did you read the article? Its says 73 per person for food. 3rd paragrah "Of those celebrating the Fourth of July, 162 million people will take part in a cookout of picnic, spending an average of $73 dollars per person just for food. Many people - 44% will watch fireworks. 14% will see a parade." What link did you look at? Mine says nothing about 320 million etc?
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
We usually invite the whole neighborhood over for Wagyu steaks and Dom Perignon big gulps. Maybe I'm bringing up the average.......NOT!
Thats what I mean. Where do they get these number?!!!
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 29,339
That article was written by a writing bot with bad grammar and poor math skills. But yeah, they do mention the $73, even if it doesn't add. Peace ..
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That article was written by a writing bot with bad grammar and poor math skills. But yeah, they do mention the $73, even if it doesn't add. Peace ..
They also stated that only 162 million people went to cook-outs. Maybe that is responsible for some of the discrepancy. I didn't check it very closely, but possibly the author's math may be a little wonky. At $73 each for each of 162 million people, $11.8 billion.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I got you beaten. I made the chicken dish for less than $5. Garlic and rosemary are from the garden. Abundant fresh tomatoes from my garden. It's fresh and free.
I sprung for corn on the cob, 10 for 2 dollars (we bought 6). Nathans hot dogs(hahaha go figure) 2.99, potato rolls 1.99 about 2 pounds of hamburger 2.49 a pound and another 1.99 for those potato buns. Home made cole slaw Id say 4 bucks. A bottle of soda , a buck. Bride had 1 mikes hard lemonade 1.50? OK lets include dessert apple pie 2.99 (the one with crumbs on top.) later some coffee another 2 bucks? Mustand? salt and pepper lets bid big and throw another 50 cents in. Yeah this was cheaper than most of my dinners. 12 bucks a person. Oh by the way, half of the meat is still here uneaten. But Ill throw it all in the mix.
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That article was written by a writing bot with bad grammar and poor math skills. But yeah, they do mention the $73, even if it doesn't add. Peace ..
Thanks
__________________
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 10,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Guess we are cheapskates by comparison with the average American. Apparently eating at a sports bar is way cheaper than a cookout.
That's where we are going tonight (Sports bar). No big parties in a 55+ community (early bed times ) and the "kids" have plans without us. We will spend around $25 for both of us including tip.
__________________
Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That's where we are going tonight (Sports bar). No big parties in a 55+ community (early bed times ) and the "kids" have plans without us. We will spend around $25 for both of us including tip.
Sounds good! We don't especially like parties anyway so for us it was just right.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
Administrator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 29,339
Just goes to show we can argue over anything.

Here's the press release from the NRF. https://nrf.com/resources/consumer-d...dependence-day

The $73 figure is per household, not per person - that's the way it was in prior years announcements . In another, earlier press release, same author, they do mention again a $73 per person (up from last year's $71 per household). No matter how you do the math, $7.1B divided among 350M, 216M, or 166M people doesn't come close to $73 per person, but it does add up as a per-family number.

I think CNN and the NRF need employees with better writing and math skills.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
MRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,991
If you disagree with the number maybe you didn't go to the grocery store last week.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just goes to show we can argue over anything.

Here's the press release from the NRF. https://nrf.com/resources/consumer-d...dependence-day

The $73 figure is per household, not per person - that's the way it was in prior years announcements . In another, earlier press release, same author, they do mention again a $73 per person (up from last year's $71 per household). No matter how you do the math, $7.1B divided among 350M, 216M, or 166M people doesn't come close to $73 per person, but it does add up as a per-family number.

I think CNN and the NRF need employees with better writing and math skills.
Better thinking skills too! They should be embarrassed that they said $73/person is more than $71/household, especially with people checking the articles before publication, but I'll bet they aren't. Personally I think everyone on this forum could do better than that even if we were blind drunk or sleepwalking or both.

Thanks for the explanation. I was sitting here with a spreadsheet wondering what gives, and looking like this little emoticon:
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 13,079
My excellent cookout (baby back ribs, corn on the cob, and baked beans) worked out to a little over $10 per person, but that includes the beer.

Damn! Looks like I wound up beneath my means again.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 4,032
I thought $73 sounds like per household because I was self congratulated myself for beating that price tag. I spent less than $10 for the whole family. Haha

@BCG, I didn't buy corns at one store we shopped yesterday because they didn't look good. We just got back from our trip so we only did a quick shop for milk and stuff.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My excellent cookout (baby back ribs, corn on the cob, and baked beans) worked out to a little over $10 per person, but that includes the beer.

Damn! Looks like I wound up beneath my means again.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!
Sounds delicious, and thrifty! Plenty of beer (or diet Coke, for me) is important, to help wash down those baby back ribs, corn on the cob, and baked beans.
__________________

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whatcha doing for 4th of July? freebird5825 Other topics 66 07-06-2009 03:36 PM
American Independence Day - July 4th freebird5825 Other topics 6 07-02-2009 12:40 PM
4th of July Reenlistment ceremony clifp Other topics 1 07-04-2008 06:12 PM
Happy 4th of July weekend! What are your plans? Nords Other topics 47 07-06-2006 04:38 AM
4th of July Dawg52 Other topics 43 07-10-2005 02:48 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.