Join Early Retirement Today

Re: 8 dead marines in Iraq monday.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
You really, honestly think that more troops would accomplish anything other than more Merkin deaths, more Iraqi deaths, and the creation of more ill will toward us? I find that astonishing.
Under our current leadership, not very likely. But the proper thing for us to do at this time (if we had an Executuve branch capable) would be to do the right thing for the good Iraqi people. I just don't think our current leaders has the backbone to escalate troop numbers to clean up the mess. Politics, those who live by the polls, die by the polls, especially near election time. What we currently have is the worst possible choice of three alternatives. Did you expect something different? But I can hope, can't I?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really don't think more troops is the answer. Didn't work out so well in VN, and I suspect it would be even worse in Iraq, where US soldier = target.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #23

Brewer:

You may be right. I read a WSJ article a couple of days ago (editorial page) where a young officer just back said that the biggest problem as he saw things was the lack of troops to get anything accomplished. Enough soldiers were provided to each location where he was stationed to secure the barracks and the supply line. Nothing more. His question to the administration was in summary 'how can one accomplish anything with that level of support; how does one provide safety in a community of 100,000 with 500 troops?' I think his observations and conclusion was very good.

Whether the we got into the war for the correct reason is ALMOST irrelevant at this point, we still need to try to do the correct thing--to my mind. I suspect that any other alternative will lead to worse problems at some future date.

It's different this time! Communism was waning in the '70s; terrorism MAY now be waxing. I think we need to get in there and do it right, bringing some stability and hope to those people who want a decent, productive life. Otherwise, every terrorist we shoot now turns into 10 future terrorists. We made the mess; we clean the mess.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a chemistry set as a child. While I remember that, following written instructions closely, some mixtures would turn pink or blue in the test tube, however adding chemicals at random always produced a black, sludgy mess eventually. And nothing I added after that would change the situation. We have a black, sludgy mess in Iraq. There is nothing we can do to fix it. It is time to go home and heal, and let the Iraqi people do the same.

While we weren't looking our own treasury has been raided, our constitution assailed and our basic liberties infringed upon. We have our own stupid mess to clean up. We have been given a lesson. It is time to grow up and finally learn from our mistakes. We must change the current reckless, thoughtless course. We are running out of time.
Elderdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
You may be right. I read a WSJ article a couple of days ago (editorial page) where a young officer just back said that the biggest problem as he saw things was the lack of troops to get anything accomplished. Enough soldiers were provided to each location where he was stationed to secure the barracks and the supply line. Nothing more. His question to the administration was in summary 'how can one accomplish anything with that level of support; how does one provide safety in a community of 100,000 with 500 troops?' I think his observations and conclusion was very good.
One of my more senior bosses used to say: "The problem with junior officers is that at moments of extreme stress they have an unfortunate tendency to blurt out the truth."

It'd be interesting to see how many billets were assigned to his platoon, how many bodies were actually assigned to those billets, and how many of those bodies had been sent "temporarily" on other duties at the direction of senior authority.

But what did we expect this JO to say-- "There are so many U.S. soldiers and well-trained Iraqi army & police troops that we kept tripping over each other!"?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #26
Administrator

I say we declare victory, have a parade and go home.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
. . .

Get a bumper sticker that says "Support our troops--fire Rumsfeld"

. . .
Not bad. But I want a little magnet that says "I support our troops. I question war."
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote