Join Early Retirement Today

8 dead marines in Iraq monday.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
gone traveling

8 dead marines in Iraq monday.

Why are we still there?

What is the purpose?

Oil? Look until we divide the place up the Kurds up north the Shia down south and the sunnis near bahgdad nothing will change. It will look like this for 50 years, Ie the gaza and west bank!!!!

Take out the box of crayons and make 3 new countries all with oil under their feet and give them a mandate, lets see what country looks the best in 10 years!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 8 dead marines in Iraq monday.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And good morning to you too!!

As much as I hate this war, I fully support our men and women who serve this country in both a military and civil fashion. My Army Ranger son has been to Iraq and Afganistan several times and as much as I worry about the obvious, he fully understands the deadly risks involved in serving his country. He is willing to lay down his life for our freedom.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a support our military tangent (even though we ALL should).

Note: Not only do I not partake in flamey threads, I also don't participate in discussions about religion, wars or politics, so please don't bait me with opposing view points about supporting our military.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Note: Not only do I not partake in flamey threads, I also don't participate in discussions about religion, wars or politics

Same here. They are no win threads.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Note: Not only do I not partake in flamey threads, I also don't participate in discussions about religion, wars or politics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Same here. They are no win threads.
Well I don't even partake in discussions of not partaking in discussions....except when I get sucked into doing it. Willpower man, willpower!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

As much as I hate this war, I fully support our men and women who serve this country in both a military and civil fashion. My Army Ranger son has been to Iraq and Afganistan several times and as much as I worry about the obvious, he fully understands the deadly risks involved in serving his country. He is willing to lay down his life for our freedom.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a support our military tangent (even though we ALL should).

Note: Not only do I not partake in flamey threads, I also don't participate in discussions about religion, wars or politics, so please don't bait me with opposing view points about supporting our military.

Fully understand where you are coming from.
Our son served in Iraq also. We separate supporting our troops, and not supporting the Iraq war. These kids are dying for nothing, they deserve better out of our leaders.........Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woah.. I think the War on Terror is George W. Bush's gift to mankind, and yet I like newguy's idea of dividing the country in three and seeing which one is best in 10 years (Kurds)... twilight zone moment.

N.B. This was my hazy pre-coffee post.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:

Cube, Hey we have the power and we now own the place, why not separate the waring groups and do as I have stated. Funny how I have said this approach since day one and now the dems are talking that way.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
gone traveling

By the way, I thought when you went to war against a country the idea was to destroy it all take no prisoners and then rebuild. We let people go home to fight another day. Rumsfeld, is an old man who is past retirement age. sorry. he might still be mentally on at near 80 years of age but I know my father and father in law and they are his age and boy I sure would not want them leading much of anything these days except giving some worthy elder advice at the kitchen table over a cup of coffee and a sandwich.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #9

Just my 2 cents, we probably do need a national and maybe local discussion of the topic but this thread doesn't strike me as the right approach. More like "what would have to happen" for us to withdraw "successfully" (or unsuccessfully). I am not a Bush fan and have a brother who has been called up twice (but stayed stateside). It looks like a lot of mistakes were made but these need to be addressed and then an appropriatw way to proceed developed. IMHO the current administration will not admit some fundemental errors and no one else has stepped forth with a better way to proceed.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Just my 2 cents, we probably do need a national and maybe local discussion of the topic but this thread doesn't strike me as the right approach. More like "what would have to happen" for us to withdraw "successfully" (or unsuccessfully). I am not a Bush fan and have a brother who has been called up twice (but stayed stateside). It looks like a lot of mistakes were made but these need to be addressed and then an appropriatw way to proceed developed. IMHO the current administration will not admit some fundemental errors and no one else has stepped forth with a better way to proceed.
Agree totally.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
What is the purpose?
Apparently no one remembers the 12 years of OPERATION SOUTHERN WATCH and the numerous air/cruise missile strikes between Gulf War I and II. That era was the nastiest optempo the Navy's seen since Vietnam.

This is no fun, but no one wants to return to the status quo ante either.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Woah.. I think the War on Terror is George W. Bush's gift to mankind ...
I don't understand why "War on Terror" (a term also used regularly by the DNC and their party stalwarts) now seems to be used regularly as a synonym for the war in Iraq.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Apparently no one remembers the 12 years of OPERATION SOUTHERN WATCH and the numerous air/cruise missile strikes between Gulf War I and II. That era was the nastiest optempo the Navy's seen since Vietnam.

This is no fun, but no one wants to return to the status quo ante either.
The British and our Air Force also dropped a lot of bombs during that time. Mostly with little effect on the Iraqi regime, they kept doing what they were doing. It was a waste of time and money if you ask me.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well it was this crazy idea that Iraq had WMD's. Since proven false.

That somehow Saddam was linked with Al Quaeda. Great idea for a Hollywood movie but also totally absurd.

The Yanks and Brits are stuck in Iraq and more will die. All this thanks to those eminent statesmen, Bush and Blair. Thankfully both will be gone in the not so distant future. Maybe sanity will then prevail? One can only hope!

Meawhile I have to feel sorry for all those useless deaths. One would have thought Vietman was a lesson. How soon we forget. Or could it be the Yanks never learn?

benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:48 AM   #15

I'm as disgusted with this mess as much as most others. There's one thing we could do:

Get a bumper sticker that says "Support our troops--fire Rumsfeld"

It seems to me, we need to actively support the administration by letting them know that they're NOT doing enough, that we need more troops on the ground to do the job right. I'm disgusted with our current straddle position--not enough troops to improve the situation but just enough so that corruption flourishes and lesser Iraqis rise to power in government. I can't imagine a worse situation (unless it was going over there in the first place). Tell W to "S*** or get off the pot." It appears to me we are just waiting for some outside event beyond our control to determine our next movement. From this point, do it right or don't do it at all.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse

It seems to me, we need to actively support the administration by letting them know that they're NOT doing enough, that we need more troops on the ground to do the job right.... From this point, do it right or don't do it at all.
Greg, I don't care what Martha says. You're OK in my book...

Old 10-05-2006, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Greg, I don't care what Martha says. You're OK in my book...
And you didn't roll your eyes when you said it.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
It seems to me, we need to actively support the administration by letting them know that they're NOT doing enough, that we need more troops on the ground to do the job right.
You really, honestly think that more troops would accomplish anything other than more Merkin deaths, more Iraqi deaths, and the creation of more ill will toward us? I find that astonishing.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
You really, honestly think that more troops would accomplish anything other than more Merkin deaths, more Iraqi deaths, and the creation of more ill will toward us? I find that astonishing.
Someone has to buy into the bush administration BS. Look I want to know why Bin Laden and Al zwahiri are stilll alive and an old fart like rumsfeld is still running the pentagon.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Look I want to know why Bin Laden and Al zwahiri are stilll alive and an old fart like rumsfeld is still running the pentagon.
Why do you hate America?

It's all Clinton's fault.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote