Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am very happy with Windows 8. I have a touchscreen laptop and a desktop that came with windows 8 and have since upgraded to windows 8.1.

I came from windows XP, skipped Vista and Windows 7.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I currently have XP. Been thinking of going to Win 8 with that Classic Shell program. But I've heard talk of Win 9. So, I'm back to procrastinating.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I have Windows 8 on my desktop. I don't have a problem with the Windows 8 environment, but I also would not recommend it as an upgrade. It needs a touch screen to be really useful. The interface is a little different, but if a developer doesn't keep up, they will get left behind in a hurry. (Anyone used the CPM operating system recently?)
I kinda liked the touchscreen option based on limited experience, but you'd still use keyboard and mouse/trackpad a lot too. I've read several reviews suggesting the touch integration is a novelty with very little utility. I don't know so I am asking for hands-on opinions (DW is on the market for a Win laptop and we're on the fence re: touchscreen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I currently have XP. Been thinking of going to Win 8 with that Classic Shell program. But I've heard talk of Win 9. So, I'm back to procrastinating.
They may keep Classic desktop as an option but I can't believe they will drop the new UI, that would be too big an admission of a mistake. But who knows...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

For about $5 you can buy an add-on that brings back the Start screen and makes Win8 more like Win7.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...-in-windows-8/

From all I have heard Win8 is best used with a touch screen computer.

XP? Microsoft is going to stop supporting it in early April. Some security analysts believe there are criminals holding back on their XP exploits until after this date because they know that MS will leave XP users defenseless against new attacks. "Yuri, we can put new malware in computer of rich, stupid Americans, and Microsoft will no longer fix. Will make Target hack look like hike in Urals. Vodka for everyone!"

Good Luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I found Win 8 intuitive enough when I first tried it (probably because I'd been using an iPad for years), so I have been inclined to give Win 8 the benefit of the doubt when asked. If I needed one I'd buy a Win 8.1 laptop, but I'm basically neutral on the OS. DW is thinking about a new Win 8.1 laptop - she hates Macs.

But there's no question Windows 8 has not been well received by customers or hardware suppliers. Windows 8.1 has seemingly been a little better though maybe because it's so much easier to switch it to the old Windows desktop mode. I seriously doubt Win 7 will just come back, or that Microsoft could abandon Win 8.x, but we'll see.

At the same time, the new Win UI is so different, I am sure my reasonably tech savvy parents could never adapt to it.

It's interesting, desktop PC sales are declining ever faster in favor of more and more capable mobile devices and the cloud(s). Reportedly Win 8 has hastened the decline, and the Mac computers make less and less sense vs mobile every day as well. Only serious power users/gamers and professional users even need desktops anymore.

I recently read that Dell is recommending Win 7 to buyers and have gotten approval of that from Microsoft...

I hate Win 8..... I will have to look for Win 8.1 and see how it works.... but even MS is now starting to admit that it is a big failure....
Old 01-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I read an article comparing Win 8 to Win 9 as Vista to Win 7.

In otherwords, put a release out there, let consumers complain, then fix it up as a new release.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
+1 for the Mac Mini. I have one that's two generations old and still our primary computer. It's rumored that Apple is going to update the Mac Mini sometime in February, so if you're not in a hurry, it might be worth waiting.

I don't use Numbers, but it's my understanding that there's no XIRR function. That would be a deal breaker for me. I use GoogleDocs instead. It has XIRR plus a GoogleFinance function that makes it incredibly easy to get stock/fund info into your spreadsheets. The only downside for some is that all your data is stored in the cloud. I use two-factor authentication with a strong password, so this doesn't worry me. the plus side is that you can access all your data from your other devices, such as your iPad.
Thanks for passing on that rumor! I checked it out and it would be easy enough to wait until the end of February if my current one still works. Apple updates usually mean an upgraded item and a price drop on the one it's replacing. Then again, it's a rumor, so I won't count on anything.

I also use Google Docs for most of my spreadsheets.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #28

My stepmom is 87 - but very tech savy. To the point she was teaching online graduate courses for a well known for profit university until a few months ago. (She's the antithesis of an ER type... feels if she slows down, she might stop... so she won't retire.)

She got a new laptop, and it had Windows 8. She spent a very frustrating day trying to figure it out till I showed her the magic corner thing. The top right corner and bottom left corner do special stuff if you put your mouse there... but unless you know it, it's frustrating. I was warned about this by a friend who'd spent a lot of time when windows 8 was in beta - writing a how to book about it.

She'll be thrilled to know she can return to straight desktop mode... but was getting the hang of it after her first frustrating day.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Thanks for passing on that rumor! I checked it out and it would be easy enough to wait until the end of February if my current one still works. Apple updates usually mean an upgraded item and a price drop on the one it's replacing. Then again, it's a rumor, so I won't count on anything.

I also use Google Docs for most of my spreadsheets.

Here's the link for the rumor: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini

I always take a look at this site before purchasing an Apple product. I'm not sure about their past accuracy, but I appreciate the numbers they provide since last release.