Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
OP here... DM called me last night to tell me she bought a Sears Craftsman for about $1,200. She had already taken it for a spin around the back yard and was thrilled to have accomplished something she hasn't done in years, but enjoys doing. I think she'll have a month or so to cut grass until the heat sets in.. Still worry about her falling off the darn thing.

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
At the risk of being cantankerous, I have to ask at what point can the 'elderly' no longer think for themselves? Short of dementia, Alzheimer's, or personal safety, why not let us 'old-folks' enjoy what we 'enjoy' doing? How much longer will your Mom or Dad live if you manage to protect them from evil-outsiders, like riding lawm mowers? In the OP's case why not buy her a riding lawnmower with hydrostatic drive, air ride seat, and a sunshade? If the 'old-farts made the money why can't they enjoy it in their 'golden' years? Do you really think old-folks enjoy the isolation of being a couch potato, versus riding around their yard on a '4-wheeler'? Perhaps mowing the grass might give them an excuse to stop and talk with a new neighbor?

I'm not questioning whether children should help parents in need, but I have witnessed far too many instances where a parent dies and self-absorbed, well intentioned, children take over as the head of the 'family' and literally dictate lifestyle and spending habits, and God forbid, sometimes even try to insure maximum inheritance for themselves or their children.

Notice- I was paid to write this ad by old-fart friends who have children

btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:49 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Exactly! Keep an eye open for real danger, but remember they earned their money by working hard all their lives and they didn't survive to old age without at least some common sense. While they still can enjoy themselves, they should. Life is not without risks.

I'm not saying an adult child should ignore real danger. I am saying that one shouldn't try to override a parent's choice just because it's not as the adult child would prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote