Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since then about twice that many US service-people have died in Iraq and Afghanistan as died on 9-11.

About ten times that many US service people have been wounded.

Multiply the number of 9-11 deaths by well over 100 to get the number of Iraqi and Afghanistan civilians who have died violently in the wars since then.

We were attacked by Al Quaida. Our response was to attack Saddam Hussein's regime. Not Al Quaida. I fear our nation has gone down a bloody path and put a blight upon our national soul.

The loss of Americans, Iraqis, Afghans, and all others both military and, to an immensely disproportionate degree, civilian, is a waste. The pain is without border.

We are better. People are better.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Since then about twice that many US service-people have died in Iraq and Afghanistan as died on 9-11.

About ten times that many US service people have been wounded.

Multiply the number of 9-11 deaths by well over 100 to get the number of Iraqi and Afghanistan civilians who have died violently in the wars since then.

We were attacked by Al Quaida. Our response was to attack Saddam Hussein's regime. Not Al Quaida. I fear that evil men in power have led our nation down a bloody path and put a blight upon our national soul.

The loss of Americans, Iraqis, Afghans, and all others both military and, to an immensely disproportionate degree, civilian, is a waste. The pain is without border.

We are better. People are better.
+1

Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread demonstrates, if we ever needed it, that there is much confusion about life/death, good/evil in our society and the world of people. I suppose that will always be so.

We can generally seem to agree on basic decency within the US, I hope. I personally am always looking for some strong rules that will help me to cope but it's really hard to find them. You only have to look at nature to see senseless destruction -- thermonuclear life/death in stars and whatever might have existed in their neighborhood. One can get into quite a philosophical fit over this stuff.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
This thread demonstrates, if we ever needed it, that...
...any thread on this forum can turn political with a single post.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Breathtaking, isn't it?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I know this is an emotional issue for a lot of people, not just in the human tragedy aspect but also in terms of the subsequent impacts to public policy. For the sake of those touched by the former, to honor their memories and sacrifices, I'd hope we can stick to the former and not the latter. Thanks.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I may be four days late, but the title of this thread is 9/11/11-- so I'll tell a (non-political) story about what I did four days ago instead of how I felt 10 years ago.

(REWahoo! or one of you Houston Air Force vets, maybe you know more about this "aircraft owner". In retrospect I wish I'd had more time with him.)

While I was in San Antonio for USAA's blogger conference, I did a hit&run road trip to Houston to visit my daughter. (I'll be back next month for a proper E-R.org chapter meeting.) On Sunday she invited me to haul supplies for watch her NROTC unit's participation in the 9/11 Travis Manion Memorial 5K at Ellington Airfield. I figured it'd be a few midshipmen & cadets jogging around a training building... but it was over 4000 racers and a professional timing system, including a dozen military units wearing boots & utes who ran in platoon formation. This being Texas, the runway was sloshing knee-deep in country-western testosterone and you could've cut the patriotism with a chainsaw. And the "starter's gun" was a piece of field artillery.

Lone Star Chevrolet | New Chevrolet dealership in Houston, TX 77065

We arrived at dawn, and as the sun rose I saw an impressive static display assembling along the runway. A private collector there has a Phantom which still flies. He said it had spent most of its career in Europe and he'd kept up its good condition. Other Phantom enthusiasts scour the world for scrapped airframes and surplus parts, and sell their salvage on eBay to keep the remaining jets flying. Of course this Phantom had been "demilitarized" by cutting most of the electronics cables, so the radar and weapons systems no longer functioned. But looked like it had three coats of wax, and he could fly it VFR. He was even taking up a couple of paying customers this week. I decided not to tease him about his "missing" tailhook...

F-4 continues long-time service to Air Force with new mission

I didn't get much time with him (a big crowd was gathering) so I don't know who he is or the aircraft's whole story. I doubt those officers actually flew this specific aircraft for BOLO. All the teenagers and 20-somethings knew nothing about the history they were observing, so I held a short training session. (There were a few 30-somethings in the class as well.) I may not be a dinosaur but I certainly felt like a woolly mammoth.

Operation Bolo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When we went back to the campus my daughter wanted to introduce me to her roommates. My head was still buzzing with USAA awareness from the blogger conference, so the very first thing I noticed on entering her new dorm room was the USAA logo. It was engraved on a citation plate attached to a very nice desk clock, announcing the owner's receipt of the USAA Spirit Award. Like me, you may be wondering "What's the USAA Spirit Award?!?"

Me: "Hey, honey, what's that for?"
Her: "Oh, our unit gets that from USAA for some spirit thing."
Me: "I see your name's engraved on it. Did you have to pay extra for that?"
Her: "No, they gave it to me."
Me: "Sooooo... does this mean that you won the unit's 2011 USAA Spirit Award?"
Her: "Um, yeah, I guess so. But I just think it's a really nice clock."

Teenagers. Engineering students. Navy officer candidates. Future submariners. Or maybe it's a "blissfully oblivious" gene.

Her college doesn't even mention the award on their website, but a few minutes with Google produced this from another ROTC website: "The USAA Spirit Award is given annually to the midshipman who best exemplifies the spirit of the unit, community, and the nation. Midshipmen receive a special award and certificate, and have their names engraved on a plaque in the ROTC building."

I sent an e-mail to my new USAA friends, who forwarded my thanks to the Spirit Award guys.

I don't miss active duty one bit (!) but I enjoyed the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9110015.jpg (345.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P9110020.jpg (439.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P9110011.jpg (530.6 KB, 0 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote