Join Early Retirement Today

90 million Obama Clinton last month who is giving?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
gone traveling

90 million Obama Clinton last month who is giving?

Seriously folks who is sending these two money?? the middle class?? Heck 3+ a gallon gasoline, food prices upup and away, housing in the toilet. Who is sending these two clowns cash?
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Obviously someone who isn't quite as pissed off as you always are
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

not me.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know anybody who has sent money to Clinton, Obama, or McCain, for that matter.

I would guess that most presidential hopefuls get money from lobbyists, special interest groups, people hoping for political favors/positions, their political party, and so on.

As for grass roots support, who has any extra money to send off, with gas prices spiralling upwards, food prices not far behind, and rampant foreclosures? And in our cases, an economy/market that is not doing so well and chipping away at our ER money.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #5

Warren Buffet has extra money. He likes both democrats. I wouldn't call WB a clown either .
Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #6

... and I thought there were limits put on how much a single person can give ....
Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
... and I thought there were limits put on how much a single person can give ....
To a specific candidate, yes. The 527s are a massive loophole around that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

According to Baraks Website:
"...more than 90% of donations were $100 or less." So not many big donors gave into that 55 Million last month.
EarlyRetiree1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #9

Wow thats alot of clowns.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRetiree1978 View Post
According to Baraks Website:
"...more than 90% of donations were $100 or less." So not many big donors gave into that 55 Million last month.
I don't know if this factoid tells us anything. It doesn't say that 90% of the money came from donations of $100 or less. It's probably true in almost every campaign that the vast majority of "contribution events" are small $$. So, there could still be a few huge donors who are contributing the majority of funds. As we've seen, there are many ways to work around the individual donor limits.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not me. I rarely donate.

The internet has changed the way funding works. The masses can make a difference with a few bucks.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave $333. Try to find me here.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Obama has done a remarkable job in getting serial smallish $50 donations from millions(?). The couple that give Barack $80 instead of going out to dinner, I think is probably pretty typical.

My sister who voted for Bush in 2000, has given several times to Obama's campaign.

The $2300 hard money limit isn't easy to get around.

I give money to McCain in the summer (before the the campaign tanked) and again in Dec. when he was still in trouble.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

A single person can give 2300 for the primary fund and the same for the general election fund. That person could also send equal amounts in the name of spouse and children. There are rules about kids donations: must be the kid's money(or trust fund), must not be reimbursed by the parent, and must be made knowingly and voluntarily... In other words, yeah, sure, who's gonna check?

So, hypothetically, a wealthy supporter could give 4600 themselves, 4600 for their spouse, and 4600 x their 3 kids = total of $23,000. Then they could also give $65,000 per family member to PACs and state and national party committees, and the PACs are the ones running most of the TV ads anyway.

So if someone quite wealthy was determined to max out, they could give $350,000 through their hypothetical family for every 2 year election cycle.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:

yeah, 99 $100 or less and one big whopper donation.

I've given to local candidates ... but not the national level. Reason that the locals might actually help ME.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
A single person can give 2300 for the primary fund and the same for the general election fund. That person could also send equal amounts in the name of spouse and children. There are rules about kids donations: must be the kid's money(or trust fund), must not be reimbursed by the parent, and must be made knowingly and voluntarily... In other words, yeah, sure, who's gonna check?

So, hypothetically, a wealthy supporter could give 4600 themselves, 4600 for their spouse, and 4600 x their 3 kids = total of $23,000. Then they could also give $65,000 per family member to PACs and state and national party committees, and the PACs are the ones running most of the TV ads anyway.

So if someone quite wealthy was determined to max out, they could give $350,000 through their hypothetical family for every 2 year election cycle.
Scanning various donation websites I see very few kid donations. So I think the practice is fairly rare. PACs are still a major source of money, but thanks to McCain-Feingold the value of PAC money to a campaign is much lower than hard money.

In particular it can't be use to fund the I am joe candidate and I approve of this message ads.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
PACs are still a major source of money, but thanks to McCain-Feingold the value of PAC money to a campaign is much lower than hard money.

In particular it can't be use to fund the I am joe candidate and I approve of this message ads.
I have to disagree here. I think it's clear that the most influential TV ads in the last two major elections have been the negative and scaremongering ads, and those are the ones most often paid for by PACs and do not include the candidate's endorsement. They often include questionable "facts" and the candidate does not want to be seen as playing dirty, so will not sign off on it officially, but will not disavow the groups responsible because they are really helping the cause.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Seriously folks who is sending these two money?? the middle class?? Heck 3+ a gallon gasoline, food prices upup and away, housing in the toilet. Who is sending these two clowns cash?
This comment does seem rather angry for a guy newly retired to the genteel environs of Cahahlina! You OK newguy?
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #19

I gave $25 to RP in Dec and still feel like I got my money's worth (it was my first political donation ever -what can I say, I'm cheap!)
Old 03-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Are the dollars reported actual cash received or just pledged?
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote