99 Cent Store

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do you have one hear you? Not everything is a bargain but some things certainly are, ipod case for 99 cents. What good deals have you found? Sometimes things look so cheap I leave with more than I intended going in.

I normally stay away from such places as they induce impulse buying of things I don't need. However, a few weeks ago I visited one while waiting for my car to be serviced. I picked up some kitchen items that I needed anyway, like nice coffee mugs for $1 each. I would avoid buying imported knockoffs of plastic food containers, because you never know what nasty chemicals might leach out. And I would never buy anything electrical at a dollar store.

We have Dollar Tree stores in my area and I think the greeting cards at 2/$1 are a great deal.

I don't have a 99 cent all item store close by.
I use other dollar type stores for cleaning products, laundry detergent, health and beauty name brand items, paper goods, candy, plastic storage containers, decorations, and name brand only dry goods and canned/bottled foods.
If it is edible and labelled Made in China, no thanks. :nonono:

I would avoid buying imported knockoffs of plastic food containers, because you never know what nasty chemicals might leach out.

I would also be cautious of materials used in the manufacture of other items that touch food.

Let me Google that for you:

ceramic dishes lead - Google Search

more specifically:

http://cchealth.org/topics/lead_poison/pdf/ceramics.pdf

Homemade and hand-crafted tableware, either from the U.S. or a foreign country, unless you are sure the maker used a lead-free glaze.

In any event, I, personally, am very leery of any "bargain" product that touches something I intend to eat.

Do you have one hear you? Not everything is a bargain but some things certainly are, ipod case for 99 cents. What good deals have you found? Sometimes things look so cheap I leave with more than I intended going in.
There are two of them near me. Thanks, Yakers, you’re inspiring me to take another look, inquiring/retiring minds want to know. My first impression, some time ago, was that they have dusty stuff that doesn’t move and a lot of cheap wine that is not very good, we did try one or two bottles. Two Buck Chuck is very competitive with that. btw, I’ve heard that Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw brand (Two Buck Chuck) wins tastes tests and seems good enough to me for table wine, if that is where you want to cut expenses. I’ll take another look at the dollar stores sometime.

Regarding the cheap iPod case; I spent $9.99 including free shipping at Amazon, for a set of iPod accessories; it included three skins, a case, cord chargers for car and home, and screen protector. Once I got over the fear of using magnets around the iPod I chose the case over the skins and like it very much. So it’s possible that there are a lot of good inexpensive cases out there to be found at .99 stores.

Friends from work got me into the dollar store (a true one; everything was $1.00, no more, no less). Our purpose was to buy decorations for the office holiday party, but i gave the whole place a pretty good once-over.

1. Laundry, bath, or food items - anything that gets used up over time - were a very poor value in $1 packages, compared with buying larger containers of same stuff. I feel for people whose budgets/dwellings force them to buy such things at the dollar store.

2. Cheap holiday decorations (stockings, Santa/reindeer hats, colored tissue paper, red and green plastic candy dishes, and a paper menorah for our Jewish vice-director) were a pretty good buy. It's not like you are going to keep these things around for posterity.

3. Small household/office/school items (stirrers, spatulas, pot holders, notepads, pencil sharpeners) were OK if you just need something to tide you over till you get a decent one. Like, when you are between homes or something. The exception is a paper scissors I bought for my husband, so he would stop raiding my sewing basket for something to cut coupons. We really like it.

4. Everything else = not worthy of house room, as my mother liked to say.

I've heard there are "Dollar stores" that have better stuff, but it costs more than a dollar, which seems like cheating :LOL:

-A.

We have Dollar Tree stores in my area and I think the greeting cards at 2/$1 are a great deal.

Same here. We buy some stuff there....greeting cards are our #1 purchase there, but we also buy a lot of stuff that we normally use too....snacks, some soaps and cleaning supplies, kitchen utensils, etc.

It's really convenient for us too, since it's right next door to Aldi's and across the road from Krogers.

I've heard there are "Dollar stores" that have better stuff, but it costs more than a dollar, which seems like cheating :LOL:

When I was a kid, we used to go to "dime stores". Now they are "dollar stores". Maybe soon they will be "ten dollar stores". :)

I second the holiday stuff. Also, the little cotton facial pads are perfect for toner - but I have to be careful of the texture. Found a Bill Clinton hardback for Mom for Christmas there too. The coloring books and puzzle books are great for stocking stuffers too!

I love the Dollar Stores! Bought 5 sticks of bamboo that are green, put in water they grow for ages for $1 each vs. the ones I bought at Chinatown in Houston for $3 a piece.
Bought a number of kitchen utensils that are strong plastic like spoons and containers. Good deal.
Bought a set of 6 12 oz. Coca Cola glasses that are green and thicker glass that we use daily. Love them!
Have purchased some cookies from Belgium and Canada maple leaf cookies that we ate. Good.
Purchased some name brand household cleaners there that would have cost $3 in a regular grocery story, but buy only name brand there as I know the quality.
Tissue paper for wrapping gifts is cheap there.
Once in awhile they have a magazine for $1 there that is recent and would cost $3 at a stand.
Some great deals at the dollar stores if you really find a good one.

Dollar Stores are fun because I feel like I can afford anything in them. The challenge for me in shopping at a Dollar Store is to refrain from buying anything that I would not otherwise buy.

If I buy 3 things that are junk and going to end up in the trash, I would be wasting $3+. Not that I can't afford that, but it could add up if I made a habit of doing that.

In any event, I, personally, am very leery of any "bargain" product that touches something I intend to eat.
This is especially true based on the disturbing news stories regarding stuff made in China (and probably elsewhere) where lead paint has often been used, including on toys. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these cheap-labor imports have lead paint on stuff that comes into contact with food.

In this case, cheapskates may be getting what they paid for.

I was in one yesterday. I bought gallon, quart and 30 gal. storage and trash bags. 30 ct of ibuprofen, 10 pack of twin blade shavers and two 10 oz wine glasses. $7 plus tax.

Pre-holiday stuff (post-holiday we buy at 75% off at walmart for the following year)

seasonal things like pool toys/beach toys

kid's toys - you can get a whole bunch for not a lot - I went xmas shopping here for our kids since our cash flow was a little low due to my salary reduction. They loved the $1 toys at least as much as the ones that cost 5-20x as much.

stocking stuffer type things

didn't get them, but holiday mug gift sets with mug, card, and candy were $1 and looked really nice.

books and puzzles can be a good deal, but we have bought low quality puzzles that are warped and end up in the trash quickly.

I bought some incense from the $1 store last week called "Amber." Smells really nice, and I forgot about it until someone just walked in and remarked how good the house smelled. Some nice things can be found for a buck if you look.

I second the idea of getting stocking stuffers at the dollar store. I've found good deals on things like glow sticks, gift bags and candy. For candy I only buy the kind that has clearly marked expiration dates that haven't yet passed.

Back
Top Bottom