Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

A 25 Year Old Battery
Old 05-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A 25 Year Old Battery

I was going through some of my stuff in my desk drawer and found an old Sharp scientific calculator. This is a battery only (non-solar) calculator that I got at a college bookstore about 25 years ago.

Much to my surprise, when turning it in, the calculator still works. Though I haven't used it in that long, I expected the calculator wouldn't turn on after all these years.

If only a battery could last so long in my LCD fever thermometer .

Update: More like about 30 years than 25. I'm older than I think

Oh, here's website down down calculator memory lane.

Calculator Museum

The model I have is the Sharp EL 506H. The main reason got this (at that time a major purchase for me) was the ability use hex!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It will be interesting to find out how much has the battery voltage dropped. Your calculator may be working at lower voltage.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Those calculators can operate with a miniscule amount of energy. I have one now 29 years old I use regularly and the original battery still powers it.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When I bought that calculator, I almost decided against the purchase (remember, I was on a college kid budget) for fear the calculator was a battery hog. Well, about 30 years later, I suppose no more need to worry .

My calculators that I use now (yes, a physical calculator and not a phone or on the computer) are a solar TI-1795 that's been going about 20 years and counting, and a combo solar/one-AA battery operated Office Depot calculator.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

HP 12C I bought around 1984, last year it needed new batteries. Most impressive.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah but my slide rule still works as well as it did many years ago. At least if I could read the little lines and numbers it would.
folivier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I found it hard to hold a magnifier and push the slide around, which is why I gave up the slide rule. Eventually will need calculator with bigger buttons and display
Old 05-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #8

Here ya go...

http://www.amazon.com/Calculator-Dis...ton+calculator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calculator.jpg (30.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Nice find.

I hope by the time I need it there will be one which will project through my glasses and I just have to think the numbers to manipulated and likewise for what calculations to perform.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
... The model I have is the Sharp EL 506H. The main reason got this (at that time a major purchase for me) was the ability use hex!
Hey, that looks almost like a Sharp that I still have, but mine got a small photovoltaic panel.

I bought it sometimes in the late 70s, when I was in graduate school. I still have it, but am on travel and cannot look to see if it has a small button battery in addition to the solar panel.

More recently, a few years ago, I saw a cheap Chinese calculator with the same keypad layout and with exactly the same functions in a dollar store. For 99c, I could not pass it up and bought it, though I did not know what to use it for.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thats neat.

My TI59 Battery Pack will still hold a charge if I recharge it. And the motor still works too. I might try to see if any of the magnetic cards still hold data, although I'll have to refresh my memeory on the procedure.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Funny. I have a digital bathroom scale that has to be 27 or 28 years old. NEVER changed the batteries even after hopping on it just about every day.

I was thinking about "how long will these batteries last?" just last week.

Next scene.......