Join Early Retirement Today

A Bank Error----HUGE
Old 09-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A Bank Error----HUGE

Talk about banking mistakes - my mother recently sold her house and bought a $100K CD from her bank. She wanted my sister and I on the CD. The bank sent the CD to sis for her signature, then it was forwarded to me. The bank listed the amount as one million dollars in two separate places instead of $100K. I KNOW mom does not have that kind of money.

I emailed the bank and asked them to look at the CD (assuming they had kept a copy). I told them it had an error. They wrote back and asked what was wrong with it. Then I emailed back and told them the amount was probably wrong. Their reply was, Yep, we'll issue a new CD. And I was not asked to return the original CD.

Think I'll frame it. Or try to cash it when mom passes.......
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They would have caught it sooner or later. Within a month.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
They would have caught it sooner or later. Within a month.
+1
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

+2.... perhaps you should have cashed it in accepting the early withdrawal penalty and moved the money to an offshore bank and moved to a contry with no extradition treaty.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:13 AM   #5

You did the right thing, A) it was the moral thing to do, b) some how if and when they caught the mistake, they ,might have caused problem for you. Awesome story to tell folks especially with the framed CD.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #6

I cashed $2400 in checks at a bank recently. They gave me the cash, and listed it as a deposit. It took six weeks, but the deposit was reversed.

Banks account for every penny. Sometimes they let amounts under ~$50 go to a "not worth it to track" bucket, but I can assume you they would have found that mistake.

I had a new co-worker that started at a company. They listed his pay as $41K per hour, rather than $41K per year. The company caught that too - after the pay period. The pay advice said over $900K, but the leading '1' was made the amount too long. It was actually a $1.9M deposit.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if anyone in payroll got fired for that one.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I wonder if anyone in payroll got fired for that one.
My guess is no. Branch office bank employees get fired for actual cash variances, not paperwork mistakes.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Back in 1986, I had a small bank error in my favor. I made a cash deposit of $100 but there was a problem with the printer ribbon on the device the teller used to process my deposit. What the teller did was to stamp each copy of the deposit slip with the following message I had seen tellers use before: "Deposits subject to collection, unless cash". He then handed me my copy of the slip.

I wasn't particularly worried because my deposit was cash. But when I received my next monthly bank statement, I saw that the $100 deposit had been credited twice to my account, perhaps because they had 2 stamped copies of the slip? I figured the bank would figure it out so I made sure to leave it in the account. At the time, I had just bought my first car so I had very little money at the time, so this was a welcome windfall. But the bank never undid their error. I remember being reminded of the Community Chest card in Monopoly which read, "Bank Error in your Favor - collect $200" and how this was a real-life version of that welcome card.

So when some little thing happens to me and I feel I got ripped off by a few dollars without recourse, I don't get too upset about it because I am still in the black thanks to this bank error.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You don't get to keep the money - but you get a great story and framing the million dollar CD is outstanding!

Lucky. Years ago I deposited some rent money and someone had passed me a couple hundred counterfeit bills. Little local bank called me in and reduced my deposit and showed me the bills and let me inspect them but not keep them. Would have liked them as souveniers.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
...but I can assure you they would have found that mistake.
I forget the guy's name, but one of the first major computer crimes was a guy who embezzled exactly $1 million from I think it was Chase Manhattan Bank in New York via a wire transfer using an unauthorized code. The funny part of it was the bank spent months looking for the misplaced decimal point and didn't find out about the theft until the guy couldn't stand the stress anymore and confessed to a lawyer, who got him a good plea deal.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

DW's coworker once stole $99 million from the major investment bank they worked at. Had she kept the amounts to a reasonable $30-60k at a time she might not have been caught for a long time (because she in fact wasn't caught for a long time, bought a luxury condo for cash, and spent tons of $$ for many many months IIRC). Eventually she increased the amount to high eight figures and someone finally paid attention to the break in the reconciliation process.

She (the coworker, not my incorruptible DW who wouldn't even delay her quit date by 2 weeks to use up her vested vacation time!) only got 7 years in Club Fed so it's not entirely unreasonable to take your chances at stealing six or seven figures considering the potential payoff.

Her group would routinely have large breaks sometimes in the eight figures in their group and the boss or boss's boss would say "it's okay we'll fix it with a ledger entry" (or whatever the appropriate accounting term is for what must have been reckless accounting, well documented in DW's emails to the higher ups). This was eventually noticed when there was a $15 million break in the books. I believe they had to restate earnings. DW's employee (not the thieving one; a different one) was transferred but otherwise not disciplined. DW was out on maternity leave and warned the higher ups about the nonsense in the years leading up to this but zero action was taken.

I understand audit time was somewhat stressful ( ) for them and I think I understand DW's decision to quit since it was a lot of stress (even working half time) for a pretty average $70k/yr paycheck.

So I would believe you if you told me a measly $900,000 bank error went unnoticed.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #13

You know how easy it is to daydream when the teller is counting out your cash? Don't do it. Last week I counted along with her, and then asked her to recount. She was $100 short on a $800 ($100 bills) withdrawal.

I think it was an honest mistake, but still.........
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like some old fashioned document being passed around with original signatures required. All my CDs are just sub accounts with titling and beneficiary details noted on the account.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
You know how easy it is to daydream when the teller is counting out your cash? Don't do it. Last week I counted along with her, and then asked her to recount. She was $100 short on a $800 ($100 bills) withdrawal.

I think it was an honest mistake, but still.........
Ours count AND run the cash through a counting machine.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was a bank teller we had to balance our cash drawer, deposits and withdrawals every night and anything over or under a dollar would put you on probation for 30 days, during which another "error " over .99 could get you fired. And it never mattered whether you had to much or not enough cash.
5j404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Back in the early 90s, when cash machines were glitchy, I had both a short and long transaction over the years. ($20 each time).

The next day, they "fixed" it for me without comment. The first time I called to ask (it happened on a Sunday) and they immediately told me I was credited. On the long transaction, I didn't bother calling, but still found the debit was applied a day later when I got my statement.

I have no earthly idea how ATMs work, and how they audit them, and how they knew it was my transactions. But they knew.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Ours count AND run the cash through a counting machine.
Same here. And I can see, barely, the readout on the teller's cash counting machine when she inserts the cash into it. Even then, I still count the cash before I leave the teller.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:43 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5j404 View Post
When I was a bank teller we had to balance our cash drawer, deposits and withdrawals every night and anything over or under a dollar would put you on probation for 30 days, during which another "error " over .99 could get you fired. And it never mattered whether you had to much or not enough cash.
Yea.... too much cash means you shorted a customer which is not good... too little and you are giving away the banks money...

I am surprised that it was $1 limit.... that just seems to be too strict...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Back in 1986, I had a small bank error in my favor. I made a cash deposit of $100 but there was a problem with the printer ribbon on the device the teller used to process my deposit. What the teller did was to stamp each copy of the deposit slip with the following message I had seen tellers use before: "Deposits subject to collection, unless cash". He then handed me my copy of the slip.

I wasn't particularly worried because my deposit was cash. But when I received my next monthly bank statement, I saw that the $100 deposit had been credited twice to my account, perhaps because they had 2 stamped copies of the slip? I figured the bank would figure it out so I made sure to leave it in the account. At the time, I had just bought my first car so I had very little money at the time, so this was a welcome windfall. But the bank never undid their error. I remember being reminded of the Community Chest card in Monopoly which read, "Bank Error in your Favor - collect $200" and how this was a real-life version of that welcome card.

So when some little thing happens to me and I feel I got ripped off by a few dollars without recourse, I don't get too upset about it because I am still in the black thanks to this bank error.
We all see things differently but were that my story I wouldn't re-tell it. I'd keep it quiet as I would be rather embarrassed by my actions.