A clever malware attack

Nowadays I'm running Firefox in my account as administrator. I've done this for years now. It would seem to me that setting my privileges to non-administrator would be a (major?) inconvenience. In Windows 10, wouldn't I have to switch users to do admin things?

It used to be (before Win 7 I think) that there was a way to run the browser as non-admin from an admin desktop. I think the term is sandboxing? This link might be relevant for Firefox sandboxing future possibilities: https://www.currentresults.com/Oceans/Temperature/pacific-ocean-temperature-california-summer.php

I don't mind saying that when it comes to security I have a lot of insecurities i.e. I am no expert. :cool: On a scale of 1 to 10, maybe I'd be at 7. But that is a log scale I think. ;)
No, Windows (since 7 at least) has been pretty good at prompting for permission if an install or app needs admin rights (the UAC prompt). This just ensures you can't click through it, you have to enter the admin password. I've rarely had to switch users to install something, usually it's handled just fine with a prompt for the admin password. Once software is installed, most apps run just fine without admin rights, unless it needs special access, like a hardware monitoring app for temps, fan speeds, etc. You can of course set the shortcut to such apps to run them as admin.

Back
Top Bottom