Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

A clever malware attack
Old 09-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A clever malware attack

Unfortunately hackers are getting better and better. If you use Firefox, you could fall for this very convincing enticement to compromise your PC. The most convincing effort I've seen so far, but I know Firefox doesn't update with random popups. Please don't...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everyone should have spyware and virus protection on their computer . Once the malware gets a foothold on your computer system it is very difficult to get rid of it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yeah some of these browser popups reel you in. So easy to respond to the prompt before your brain registers what is going on. Many people will never even realize they made a mistake.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Unfortunately hackers are getting better and better. If you use Firefox, you could fall for this very convincing enticement to compromise your PC. The most convincing effort I've seen so far, but I know Firefox doesn't update with random popups. Please don't...
Thanks Midpack. I will show this to DW who came to me concerned yesterday with a voicemail from the IRS telling her she would get a court action and to respond to the phone number given .

I do use Firefox. I am guessing that having the popup blocker active would remove this theat. So how to run that popup blocker? Here is some introductory info which I had to review myself: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pop-blocker-settings-exceptions-troubleshooting

Under that link is a link to pop up blocker settings: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ocker-settings

You can turn the popup blocker off. Then in various web pages like your bank's, you can create exceptions easily that get put into the exceptions list.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

This attack is not so simple:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1127436

Could be from an ad on a page, going to a bad result in google search, etc. Bad guys seem to always be a bit more clever than all the blocks on your device. Since the attacks may be morphing in a continuous fashion, one fix does not cure all.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Midpack, what was the action that took you to that web page?

I notice that the URL for that page starts with "feehacitysocializing.net". I don't always look at URL's but this is one clue to the observant.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

I never update from a popup, but go to the official site instead. Same when I get a phone call with message left from cc wrt fraud. I again, always call the number on the cc rather than the one left on my answering machine.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I always (mostly) glance at a URL before I click on it, whether it's in an email or on a webpage. It's the best method of avoiding malware that I know of. However, that's not the usual practice. So much for counter-phishing training: Half of people click anything sent to them | Ars Technica

Quote:
For those who admitted to clicking on the link, the majority said they did so out of curiosity. Half of those who didn't were warned off because they didn't recognize the sender's name, and a small minority avoided clicking because they were concerned about the privacy of the person who may have accidentally sent them the link. "I think that with careful planning and execution, anyone can be made to click on this type of link, even if it’s just out of curiosity," Benenson said.
Also, if you are interested to know if you've been affected by any of the major security breaches, you can go to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and enter your email address or any usernames you use. They'll run it against the databases of compromised sites. The username part is probably not that valuable, since they get reused, but the email part is useful. It's a pretty cool app, and is run by a respected security dude. If you have any questions about it read the FAQ.

Quote:
How do I know the site isn't just harvesting searched email addresses?

You don't, but it's not. The site is simply intended to be a free service for people to assess risk in relation to their account being caught up in a breach. As with any website, if you're concerned about the intent or security, don't use it.
As of the time of this post they have identified 138 pwned websites and almost a billion and a half pwned accounts. I came up with 1 on my email.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

side note: your desk top layout would drive me nuts.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Dollars to donuts that's not the OP's desktop (I too have fun with the details creating imaginary people, and some of the folders look like they're for a parent of an eagle scout candidate who is taking the ACT, and I don't think that defines the OP).
Old 09-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a similar window on Chrome this morning and closed it without clicking the link.
user5027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Midpack,

Thanks for the alert. I use Firefox and had I come across that pop up, probably would have feel for the trick. Especially since not having much sleep the night before.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #13

This happened to me a couple of times, when I was using a streaming radio site that required me to disable my ad blocker on that page if I wanted to listen. In my case it's not a popup. Rather, the browser just switches from the radio station page to the fake Firefox update page. I'm guessing this happens when the radio station page would be updating to show a new ad, but can't prove it. I can see how a lot of people would fall for this.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #14

Thanks Midpack
I vaguely recall seeing that popup early this week. Could not recall if I had seen, so ran Malwarebytes. Sure enough there was malware. Now gone. It looked like one of the could have been serious.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Thanks Midpack
I vaguely recall seeing that popup early this week. Could not recall if I had seen, so ran Malwarebytes. Sure enough there was malware. Now gone. It looked like one of the could have been serious.
Nwsteve
I wonder if Malwarebytes can detect this and warn. This app is one of the few l have paid for so it is always active.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I notice that the URL for that page starts with "feehacitysocializing.net". I don't always look at URL's but this is one clue to the observant.
+1
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #17

Also beware of making typos in the url bar:
Typosquatting Scam Infecting Computers with Dangerous Malware – AARP
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had an Adobe Flash pop-up recently. Almost clicked it reflexively. Glad I did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Capwest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
side note: your desk top layout would drive me nuts.
Not my desktop...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Was watching morning news today and malware was in the news again (Olympic athletes medical records hacked, Powell hacked gmail) with a mention that the hackers run circles around the traditional ways of protection with anti-virus and firewall.

On the front lines against cyber hackers - Videos - CBS News