Join Early Retirement Today

A Day in Hell
Old 03-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A Day in Hell

My partner gave me the flu bug that's been going around, fever, aches, sore throat ... She came down with it last Friday and I came down with on on Monday. I was out of work from Monday through Wed. I went into work yesterday then came home and called yet another contractor to give us estimates on some home repairs. He said he'd be here at 10am Friday morning and I told him my partner would be home as she is still sick. I've called a ton of contractors and the few that showed up and presented me with an estimate have been grossly over charging.

Well, I woke up this morning with the worse sore throat I've ever had. I also had the aches and the fever so I called in sick. At 10am the contractor and his work partner showed up. They were really nice. I started showing them things I need repaired, a new deck, kitchen flooring, sliding doors, fencing etc. Then I showed them a small amount of roof damage in the carport from the December storm.

One of the guys started pulling ivy off the retaining wall that hosts the support beams to the carport. They both freaked out. The wall has pulled away from the cement floor and is cracked in several places. They explained the wall could crumble at any moment from the weight of the carport roof and will snap the roof in half and collapse the carport.

So my sick partner and I spent four hours hauling everything out of the carport including several cords of wood. Nothing like doing that when your body aches and your throat is on fire. The contractors are coming tomorrow morning to install some temporary support beams.

The good news is I found two really good contractors who seem to be very honest and show up when they say they will. And, I think I've caught the problem before it became catastrophic.

But God it kills to have to spend this kind of money on repair work (and a retaining wall is so boring). We only paid $100k for the house 17 years ago. I'm guessing we have to put another $50k into it to get it ready to sell.

Thanks, I feel better after bitching.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A Day in Hell
Old 03-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Get well soon. Glad that you can't infect us.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It can only get better....right?
Old 03-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #4

Wow, I feel for you. I went to my sister's house in VA and came down with it. I spent 2 1/2 days in a bedroom and would hardly come out. The bedroom had its own bathroom, so one day I did not come out at all. She called my spouse at my home to find out if he had talked to me. I had not felt that bad in a long, long time. I can't imagine trying to do any work!

Glad to hear that you found some good contractors. Hope that everything goes well for you.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear that, helen. My petri dish daughter gave me a nasty cold this week, so I have an inkling of what you went through.

But allow me to yell at you for a sec: why the hell did you bother moving the cord wood in your condition?! You can still burn it after theroof falls on it.

Feel better. And hang onto the honest, reliable, decent contractor. If nothing else, for the rarity value.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

That was one of the worst flu's I ever had .It hit me tuesday night .Body aches ,coughing ,headache and nausea.I spent all of wednesday on the couch just staring into space .I would still be there but I have a doctor's appt.. You helen are superwomen to even get out of bed with that thing .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hope you feel better!

How come no flu shot? I haven't had the flu in about 8 years, ever since I started getting a flu shot in the fall.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #8

I get the flu shot every year, but I still came down with it.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote