Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
.... As some have observed, it's not like me to let things go without commenting...
Were you this way as a child as well?

Anyhow, it's been a good ten years of samclem* of which I've experienced nine of (or, maybe about 7 1/2 of, as a bit of samclem's time seems unaccounted for). But, even if it's only been 7 1/2 years, I know I've learned a lot from samclem's postings.

* Do not attempt this project in this manner, Serious injury or death may result due to overpressurization of a sealed container and resulting explosion, with concomitant rapid dispersal of magma-hot hair product. Never heat a sealed container--redduck.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Every new post is pushing an old one off the back of the truck!
That's a phenomenon that concerned me greatly at one point.
I was extremely fluent in one foreign language, but then I went into intensive study of another. I found that every new word I learned in the second language caused me to forget that word in the first. It honestly bothered me a lot!

However, time heals most wounds, and the first foreign language gradually came back. Who knows, maybe those original posts are still stored on reels of magnetic tape or punchcards somewhere and will eventually be restored!

Old 05-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #43

Of course, sometimes samclem would finesse me into doing some research:

What does SSAN stand for?*

Your abbreviation search returned 8 meanings

Simple Search Advancing Network *** SSAN Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate ** SSAN Statewide Systems Advocacy Network ** SSAN Such Sums As Necessary (funding) * SSAN Stock Sector Analysis Newsletter * SSAN Storage/System Area Network * SSAN Sage Software Accountants Network * SSAN Social Security Account
* Do not attempt this project in this manner, Serious injury or death may result due to overpressurization of a sealed container and resulting explosion, with concomitant rapid dispersal of magma-hot hair product. Never heat a sealed container--redduck.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, you made me look. I have been a member for ten years also! I seldom post. I guess if there was prize for long, long, long time lurker, I would win.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #45

Atta go....

An inspiration for some of us younger folK.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Okay, you made me look. I have been a member for ten years also! I seldom post. I guess if there was prize for long, long, long time lurker, I would win.
Good listeners are hard to find. 👌
Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OMY syndrome grabbed me, and now it has been 10.
Just as long as you don't fall prey to the dreaded OMD syndrome.

Quote:
... so all I now need is a dignified name for it so I can properly call it a hobby.
"Research" or "writing a book"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The answer is probably obvious and right in front of me. I Need To Just concentrate...
It's very subtle, too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My first post was July 13, 2006 discussing cell phone plans with Dreamer. Memory lane!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleeplus View Post
Congrats and happy anniversary!! I am more of a lurker than a poster and love, love, love the knowledge the members bring to this forum!! Hey and it's my kind of knowledge......FREE!
And worth twice what you paid!

Congrats samclem, ten years of good conversation.

Just checked and found one of my first posts in April 2006 saying that I was FI but might work a couple more years to increase my standard of living. Her I am 8 years later still working, joining the class of 2016. This time I really, really, really mean it!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #50

Quote:
Yes, I'm a big fan. I don't agree with all he wrote, but as an observer and commenter on the human condition, he remains unmatched (IMO).

And I will >not< change my identity. It took a decade to build up this armor of curmudgeonly barnacles, I won't shed them without a fight.

John Hartford recorded an album, Mark Twang, that is intended to recall the music and style back in the riverboat heyday. I love it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote