A Different Kind of "Drug" Problem

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
134930.jpg

I wonder how old that "concerned citizen" might be. If I recall there was plenty of drugs floating around from the sixties onward (before that people were boozing but we all know that alcohol ain't no drug ;)). So the "concerned citizen" could have a case of feel good amnesia (ah the good old days where everything was so perfect!). No really, "farmhouses" went from making moonshine to making meth. Different drug, same purpose!

And there are no cases where someone who was 'drug' to church ever did anything 'wrong' thereafter.

I wonder how old that "concerned citizen" might be. If I recall there was plenty of drugs floating around from the sixties onward ...
If you mean the 1860s, you could make the case that the Civil War created America's first generation of morphine & heroin addicts.

I think these are like Al's "Chicken Soup for the Curmudgeon's Soul" complaint-- heartwarming stories that are long on sentiment and short on substance.

I was raised in a corporal-punishment environment (home & school) and all it's achieved is to (1) give me a mean right cross, and (2) make me vow to not raise my kid that way.

If you mean the 1860s, you could make the case that the Civil War created America's first generation of morphine & heroin addicts.

You are right. After all in the late 19th century, cocaine could be purchased in drugstores and it was legally manufactured and sold in the US. A number of widely available products also contained cocaine, including some tonic wines, cigarettes and of course Coca Cola. At the turn of the century heroin was used in children cough medecine. Opium and its derivatives have been used as a recreational drug since the 15th century, though people started using "the joy plant" thousands of years before. Ah the good old days!

just in observing children spinning to make themselves dizzy, or their attraction to amusement rides which produce similar effect, i wonder if there is a natural inclination towards altering consciousness.

I remember those days. It was during that time when I walked five miles to school every day in a blinding snow storm uphill both directions. I miss all that.

Parents exerted discipline as did teachers and coaches. I still remember my first year of coaching little league baseball and asking when would we make the first cuts.(like it was when I came through) My reaction to the response that all who signed up got to play, was WHAT? Hence the pay, play and get a trophy generation began. If a kid never came to practice and I told him he would have to sit out a game, a quick visit by mom to the league director put me in my place... not to say a kid was sick, but as one mom told me, he wanted to go to the movies.

I think these are like Al's "Chicken Soup for the Curmudgeon's Soul" complaint-- heartwarming stories that are long on sentiment and short on substance.

Very well put

just in observing children spinning to make themselves dizzy, or their attraction to amusement rides which produce similar effect, i wonder if there is a natural inclination towards altering consciousness.

I'm not sure if it is altering consciousness. Don't many of the popular drugs - cocain; meth; :confused: ("the love drug" I forgot the name) mimic the natural chemicals found in the brain?

I remember those days. It was during that time when I walked five miles to school every day in a blinding snow storm uphill both directions. I miss all that.

I had to to the same thing but without shoes. I wasn't allowed to get them wet or allow them to lose their shine or else the nuns would beat me. The good old days.....

Back
Top Bottom