Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My closest friend at work is 10 years my senior, and a former US Army chopper pilot in Vietnam. He rarely talked about those years. Most people did not know about his background. He did say that the experience made him study harder in college when he got out of service. Damn good engineer; he's very well recognized and paid (almost 2x the usual salary of an engineer of his experience). I used to argue politics with him all the time, because of his avid libertarian viewpoint. He's the colleague I missed the most since leaving megacorp.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Though I respect all veterans, and anyone who has committed his/her self to national service, there are some interesting anomolies associated with the term "veteran".
I am not a "Veteran" by US Army definition although:

I am a qualified Infantry Unit commander PMOS 1542.
Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant
Studied (8 semester credits) as an ROTC Cadet
Spent 6 Weeks at Summer Camp during college.
Signed on for a minimum of 2 years active duty, and a lifetime commitment to the Armed Services (end of duty indefinite)
Spent Six weeks of accelerated Officer training at Fort Benning GA plus basic Ranger training.
Was assigned to Fort Devens MA as a Platoon Leader.

Then..after six months of active duty, due to the surplus of officers because of the battlefield commissions in Korea, the army officer cadre was overstrength by 50%. An option and encouragement was offered for an early out transfer to the US Army Reserve. Since my wife was 8 months pregnant (difficult pregnancy), and my orders were already cut for Korea, I took the option, to forego a lifetime career in the military. Transferred for the interests of the US Government to the Reserves

The transfer to the active reserves, meant at that time, monthly meetings, and two weeks of summer camp each year. Meetings meant 6 hours of travel including the Ferry trip back and forth from the Vineyard to Providence RI, plus the 4 to 5 hour meeting itself... All of this time, subject to call to duty

After ten years (plus the ROTC time) I transferred to the inactive reserves, with the rank of Captain, US Cavalry (Armor).

All in all, a great experience. Enjoyed it all and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Despite the time in service, and the voluntary commitment to full time service, the multiple achievement awards and commendations...and an honorable discharge, I am not recognized as a veteran.

I do get $1 per month added to my Social Security check. I am not eligible for any benefits at all... except for a military funeral. I recognize that this is the law, and I do not expect anything, or feel left out of the many Veterans organizations.

note:Some benefits were allowed for those were in service from 1985 or later.

Once in a while, it does hurt a bit, to not be included in with the recognition of those who have voluntarily or involuntarily served, especially when it was at the request of and for the benefit of the US Government. Just a matter of pride.

If ya get a chance, you might want to thank a Reservist, even if he or she is not a "Veteran".

Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Then..after six months of active duty...
It is my understanding that serving six months or more on active duty is the classic definition of a veteran. Why is it you don't think you qualify?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I had no idea you were that old...
DUH. Now I get it.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
DUH. Now I get it.
Better late than never...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I served during the era between Vietnam and the Gulf Wars. I was still on active duty during the short Iraq "War" in 1991, but I don't include that. In 24 years service, the closest I came to being in harms way, was 3 years aboard an aircraft carrier. The only danger there, was the somewhat inherent risk of being on a carrier, not any incident that occurred while I was on board. The remainder of my time was served in climate controlled Control Towers and Radar rooms, on terra firma.

I don't consider myself worthy of the same respect given to those who have served in wartime. Especially those who have served in the Army or Marines in battle zones.

I don't consider all veterans as being equal, although current public sentiment seems to do so. It's a strange environment, where veterans are now honored as celebrities, but also seen as victims.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It is my understanding that serving six months or more on active duty is the classic definition of a veteran. Why is it you don't think you qualify?
Except when classified as ACDUTRA (Active Duty for Training). One more day would qualify... but that's the way the rules are written.

Quote:
The term “active duty” means—
(A) full-time duty in the Armed Forces, other than active duty for training;
(B) full-time duty (other than for training purposes) as a commissioned officer of the Regular or Reserve Corps of the Public Health Service
(i) on or after July 29, 1945, or
(ii) before that date under circumstances affording entitlement to “full military benefits” or
(iii) at any time, for the purposes of chapter 13 of this title;
(C) full-time duty as a commissioned officer of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or its predecessor organization the Coast and Geodetic Survey
(i) on or after July 29, 1945, or
(ii) before that date
(I) while on transfer to one of the Armed Forces, or
(II) while, in time of war or national emergency declared by the President, assigned to duty on a project for one of the Armed Forces in an area determined by the Secretary of Defense to be of immediate military hazard, or
(III) in the Philippine Islands on December 7, 1941, and continuously in such islands thereafter, or
(iii) at any time, for the purposes of chapter 13 of this title;
During the time of the reduction in force (May 1959 I think) there were some 500 officers who were in my situation. Those who hired a lawyer received reinstatement with benefits, but those, who like me, didn't think about the situation, lost out as the statute of limitations ran out.
No matter... just one of those.... anomolies...
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
I served during the era between Vietnam and the Gulf Wars. I was still on active duty during the short Iraq "War" in 1991, but I don't include that. In 24 years service, the closest I came to being in harms way, was 3 years aboard an aircraft carrier. The only danger there, was the somewhat inherent risk of being on a carrier, not any incident that occurred while I was on board. The remainder of my time was served in climate controlled Control Towers and Radar rooms, on terra firma.

I don't consider myself worthy of the same respect given to those who have served in wartime. Especially those who have served in the Army or Marines in battle zones.

I don't consider all veterans as being equal, although current public sentiment seems to do so. It's a strange environment, where veterans are now honored as celebrities, but also seen as victims.
This is what the Old Testament has to say about that.

Samuel 30:24
New International Version (NIV)

24 Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #29

I enlisted delayed enlistment while in High School. After I finished I went on active duty for four years.

When I enlisted the Vietnam war was still technically on. By the time I went active it was over. Since I never spent a day on active duty during wartime I cannot join the American Legion.

My Dad was drafted during the Koran war. Spent the whole time in Kansas. Two years. Within driving distance of his home town. He is in the American Legion and wears his hat in the parade.

I have had a few people thank me for my service when I was wearing an Air Force T-Shirt or cap. Surprised me the first time. Don't feel that any thanks is required. I did nothing compared to many.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

My daughter was voluntold to help with the Veterans Day ceremony at her college. I got a panicked e-mail about "Help me write my speech!" but she did just fine: Rice honors veterans
Nords, I watched this several days ago on another veteran's site and was very impressed with her delivery, at least the small part they had in the piece. It was clear to me that showing any more of her speech would have been an unkind comparison to the CO. She appeared totally in command of her delivery.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #31

I used to get uncomfortable with people thanking me. To me, its like people thanking me for breathing, or eating.

Now I just say "thanks" or "it was my pleasure" (because it was).
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #32

Nords,

Your daughter's delivery of her speech was wonderful. You must be so proud of her.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Nords, I watched this several days ago on another veteran's site and was very impressed with her delivery, at least the small part they had in the piece. It was clear to me that showing any more of her speech would have been an unkind comparison to the CO. She appeared totally in command of her delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Nords,
Your daughter's delivery of her speech was wonderful. You must be so proud of her.
Thanks! She gets that from her mother.

I just suggested that she read it out loud in the privacy of her room before going up on the podium...

Her NROTC unit CO is USNA '85, who was having his plebe year when I graduated. He's doing a good job at the unit of straightening out some long-term problems.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post

Ditto on this...when I'm wearing my uniform out and about in Los Angeles, it is weird to me - I'm an officer and someone wanted to pay for my lunch at a restaurant.....uhhh, pay for the enlisted guy who has the weapon and is running around in some desert or backwater area truly putting his/her life at risk. It is very uncomfortable to me as I haven't been in harm's way like what I've seen with some of the youngsters and the other *real* vets to me. Do I understand that could change or could have been different, yes, it's all timing. My Dad flew in Vietnam and my GrandDaddy flew in WWII over the hump nearly starving to death in China...they are the heroes to me.