Join Early Retirement Today

A dream came true today...literally
Old 05-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A dream came true today...literally

For the last 6 years, I've often fantasized about the day I just had.

All the hard work, frustration, problem solving, leaks, noises....they're all worth it.

The look on my son's face was priceless.

The words coming out of my woman's mouth were unexpected.

The look from the guys at the local tire shop as we drove by was something I've never experienced.

Today, I got to take my one year old son and fiance on a ride in my 90% complete 1979 Camaro.

First, I took the little one on a cruise since he was restless. He looked up at my with his big blue eyes from the back seat, smirk on his face, as to say "Daddy, why'd you wait so long to take me for a ride in your cool car!?!?!?". He fell asleep within 5 minutes of departure.

Then while he slept, my fiance and I took a cruise down the street to get some ice cream. People on corners waived, a few sports cars revved their engines in an attemp to intimidate us. A Chevy suburban TRIED to pass us on an empty country road. Then my fiance said what I NEVER thought I'd hear. After a few 0-60 pulls, and some choice expletives, she said "Honey....can I drive?" in a very timid voice. Funny how things are now that she UNDERSTANDS my addiction. This was her first ride in the Camaro...EVER!!

I've always daydreamed of they day I could cruise the country roads with a hot chick in the passenger seat, the envy of the people we passed....just cruisin'.

To bring the rest of my OTHER dream to fruition, I need to get my one year old son UNDER the car one day, wrenching away.

Just thought I'd share.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A dream came true today...literally
Old 05-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

Good for you.

I wonder what disease is it that allows us to get all emotional over such a magical mechanical conveyance?
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Love it. I have a parallel fantasy: Big, honkin Harley with high bars, a leather vest, helmet with a spike on top, tat on my arm that says "Born to Raise Heck," and a big bosomed biker wench in a tight, pink halter top snuggled close behind me. Just thinking of reving it up gets me excited! The day the DW comes home with a pink halter top, I'm heading for the local Hog dealer. Probably should sign up for some lessons too, since I've never even ridden a moped. Hey, I said it was a fantasy.

setab
Old 05-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

fed,

That totally kicks ass.* I completely understand your feeling.

My DW goes to car shows/cruises/etc, and has helped with my Chevelle, getting all dirty/ greasy.* She even hits me up on occasion about rebuilding my dad's 77 Chevy 1/2T truck.* I don't know that she shares the same intense passion that I have for cars, but she certainly has a come a long way since we first met.

I SOOO married over my head.* *
Old 05-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
People on corners waived, a few sports cars revved their engines in an attemp to intimidate us.
don't be so quick to intimidate.

revving is just a sound wave. a challenge, a salute.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
don't be so quick to intimidate.

revving is just a sound wave. a challenge, a salute.
agreed. but i couldnt think of the right word for what i meant...you got the idea though
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #7

I love the dudes in their 4 cylinders, with the "hi-po" 20 gallon muffler. The revving sounds like like a hacked-off bumble bee. Makes me snicker....
Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Used to go to street races in L.A. as a teenager, my buddy had a 5.0 Mustang with some minor mods. It was funny, the little 4 bangers would show up first, with those cherry bomb muffler packs you speak of, racing quarter miles in only 20something seconds! Then the 5.0's, Cameros, etc. would show up a coupel hours later and the civics would slink away. Only drove in a race once, what a thrill! But rode shotgun a few times, almost as fun.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #9

Heck, I just think it's cool that people can get excited over a late 70's car! I mean personally I love 'em and have two, but they're not exactly the most revered things in the world. They do perform better without the catalytic converters though. Ummm, not that I know that from experience. :
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
After a few 0-60 pulls, and some choice expletives, she said "Honey....can I drive?" in a very timid voice. Funny how things are now that she UNDERSTANDS my addiction.

Ahem...

Not to burst your bubble, but I'm not sure you've interpreted your woman's actions correctly. I can imagine asking to drive after my honey has dueled with a surburban and pulled a few "0-60s", but it wouldn't be because I understood the addiction.

I'd be trying to improve my odds of living for another day.

But what do I know? I drive an "Elderment."
Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #11

no caroline, her words were those of envy. she wanted to feel the power.

fyi guys, its a 79 camaro, alabama car (rust FREE). sweet paint job, nearly mint black interior, 500 HP 383 in front of a TH-350 and 3.42 rear end. headman headers, duals to 2 flowmasters. B+m megashifter to operate the manual valve body transmission (basically a clutchless manual).

Motor is a 383 with AFR aluminum heads, 750 holley, weiand stealth intake, msd billet distributor and msd ignition.

and I just finally took it up past 6k rpm today....wow

Old 05-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We want pics!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Every car, or truck, thay I ever owned had an ENGINE.
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
We want pics!
They are located here.

EDIT: Shortened URL