Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2015, 02:07 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Have you updated to iOS 9?

The two finger gesture is a big improvement IMHO over the old tap and hold loupe. Just place your index and middle fingers on the keyboard (keep them touching each other, not spread out) - the the labels on the keys fade and moving your fingers around moves the insertion cursor.

Here's Apple's web page describing this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205408
mpeirce and others who have chimed in w/helpful tips: Thanks for the ideas. I saw your message this AM and got excited because I had indeed previously put two fingers of one hand spread out or 1 finger from both hands on the keyboard so I was sure what you wrote here was going to be the solution.
We had to leave on a trip today so I didn't have time to try this before we left.
When we got back, I tried what you suggested here and...............................
unfortunately the same nothing happened. I checked for version of operating system..........(settings/general).........it say v 9.0 (doesn't say iOS).

btw............what you said originally validates my pet theory: The best teachers are those who have recently fallen into the pit and successfully climbed out because they remember the pit. The experts assume too much and cannot comprehend how much havoc we idiots are capable of because we read and understand literally what you say and nothing more.
Here's what you said originally: "On the iPad using iOS 9 or later you can control the text cursor from the keyboard. Just place two fingers on the keyboard at once. The individual keys will fade out and it acts just like a trackpad. Move you two finger around to move the cursor.".......nothing about having having them together......so I can tell you're an expert

I'll try again in the AM..........

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 02:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Kanehoe, are you using apple or chromebook or android? Just realized I do not know which way you're coming from.
ipad.......as stated in OP

Old 11-28-2015, 03:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But if it is so well thought out, why do so many here find it clumsy?
The rest of my message explained why.

Quote:
It's not just web sites I'm talking about
There are a similar set of developer standards, I'm sure. I am not an app developer. My business is web.

Quote:
And it's not just a matter of adapting, IMO.
Yet, there are millions more people engaged through the web now that mobile technology is so accessible to them.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
trying to learn how to use a tablet on the fly:

1)when using a laptop and you make a typo, you can move the cursor to the
error region and then delete/correct. Can you do something similar w/ a tablet. The only way I know is to backspace/delete all the way from the end to the error. If the error is in the beginning, that's a lot to erase and retype.
2)how do you edit copy/edit paste to copy something; I can do ctl-c,ctl-v on
a Chromebook but don't know how to do that on a tablet.

just fyi, I'm using an Ipad.
To copy / edit / paste with an iPad, once you are in a dialog window, tap twice on a spot. The "select / select all " bubble appears. Choose it, and that word is then just highlighted in blue, with black dots on each side. With this highlighted area you can copy, cut, paste, replace. Slide the dots to expand the highlighted area.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Quote:
But if it is so well thought out, why do so many here find it clumsy?
The rest of my message explained why.
Sorry, I really didn't see any 'why' in your 'explanation'. If anything, it just seemed to blame the user?

There are a similar set of developer standards, I'm sure. I am not an app developer. My business is web.

Quote:
Quote:
And it's not just a matter of adapting, IMO.
Yet, there are millions more people engaged through the web now that mobile technology is so accessible to them.
Why throw in a red herring? Mobile technology is popular for many reasons. That doesn't mean the interface doesn't have serious gaps, it only means those gaps aren't so bad that it keeps people from using their devices at all.

Heck, I can use my tablet for hours w/o having to go in and edit text, or do much of the things I find clumsy. But when I do need to do those things, I wish it was easier. That doesn't keep me from using my tablet, or others from using their smart phones. With your logic, we'd still start our cars with a crank - they sold plenty of crank start Model T Fords, why make it better?

-ERD50
Old 11-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Sorry, I really didn't see any 'why' in your 'explanation'. If anything, it just seemed to blame the user?
On the contrary. Here is the portion of my message which you skipped over:
Quote:
Quite the opposite: They thought it through and established mobile accessibility standards and design principles for websites and web applications. The problem occurs when developers ... fail to update their software to reflect these standards and principles, or when they do so they fail to do so effectively.
Quote:
Why throw in a red herring?
Why call a substantive point a "red herring"?

Quote:
Mobile technology is popular for many reasons.
And that would not have been possible if mobile was clunky. What you should note is how, when done correctly, the technology is very well received and not deemed clumsy at all. It's really all the fault of (us) (application and website) developers. When we did our jobs well (and that was very often the case) there was no clumsiness, and adoption was vigorous.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On the contrary. Here is the portion of my message which you skipped over:
Quite the opposite: They thought it through and established mobile accessibility standards and design principles for websites and web applications. The problem occurs when developers ... fail to update their software to reflect these standards and principles, or when they do so they fail to do so effectively.
I didn't skip over it - it didn't address my issue. I pointed out - these problems don't exist only in web pages - a text editor has some clumsy issues - that's why I said it wasn't an explanation.

Quote:
Why call a substantive point a "red herring"

And that would not have been possible if mobile was clunky. What you should note is how, when done correctly, the technology is very well received and not deemed clumsy at all. It's really all the fault of (us) (application and website) developers. When we did our jobs well (and that was very often the case) there was no clumsiness, and adoption was vigorous.
I can only repeat myself - the problems don't make the device unworkable - it's still a 'value proposition' for many. It is just clumsy in certain modes, and I think it could have and should have been made better.

You are saying 'success' indicates there is no room for improvement - that's just wrong, so I'll drop this as it won't go anywhere with you but in circles.

-ERD50
Old 11-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #28

Quote:
I didn't skip over it - it didn't address my issue. I pointed out - these problems don't exist only in web pages
To which I replied:
Quote:
There are a similar set of developer standards, I'm sure.
Quote:
I can only repeat myself
As I was forced to. The answer is there in my responses.

Quote:
You are saying 'success' indicates there is no room for improvement
No I'm not. I never said anything close to that. It seems like you're working really hard to come up with something to argue against. As a matter of fact, I even went so far as to outline the paths for future enhancements:
Quote:
Rather, the solutions to these problems involve either doing away with the need for complex mouse or mouse-and-keyboard gestures, or replacing some of them with some touch-specific gestures - gestures that are impractical with a mouse, such as two finger gestures, and gestures that differentiate effect based on the pressure applied.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
To copy / edit / paste with an iPad, once you are in a dialog window, tap twice on a spot. The "select / select all " bubble appears. Choose it, and that word is then just highlighted in blue, with black dots on each side. With this highlighted area you can copy, cut, paste, replace. Slide the dots to expand the highlighted area.
And the teacher of the year award goes to MichaelB..........tho I won't tell you how long it or if it's reproducible........logged in w/ random typing to hopefully evade the key loggers.............a "took " belongs after "it" but life is too short to fix error.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #30

Quote:
And the teacher of the year award goes to MichaelB..........tho I won't tell you how long it or if it's reproducible........logged in w/ random typing to hopefully evade the key loggers.............a "took " belongs after "it" but life is too short to fix error.
I feel cheated........this library iPad didn't have that "sent from my iPad" signature message at the end.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #31

Quote:
I feel cheated........this library iPad didn't have that "sent from my iPad" signature message at the end.
Next training session: "Look in settings and find where to customize the signature"
Old 11-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

ERD50 is absolutely right. Tablets work OK for simple touchy-feely tasks, but every once in a while, one has to do something that is just not currently possible. When using EMACS, for example, I routinely drop to the LISP interpreter using the usual Control-Alt-Meta-(double-click button 3) shortcut, but there's no Control, Alt, or Meta key on the virtual keyboard, and I don't see how a gesture can be set up to do the double-click on button 3 as quickly and efficiently as I can do this on the Symbolics keyboard and trackball.

The tablet makers clearly have not thought through how to accomplish these mundane everyday tasks. One button, and it doesn't even do anything beyond leave the program for the desktop! Good grief. Nobody's going to buy these things.

(Cackles as he fills out deposit slip and signs royalty check from tablet company...)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I just look for a kid, preferably 12 or younger, when I need help with electronic devices.