Join Early Retirement Today

Re: A Few Things I Discovered While in Nebraska.........
Old 09-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to school in a small state college in the panhandle region of NE.* This was from '84 to '85 and again in '93 to '94.* That's in the northwest corner of the state and is not as flat as the eastern portion.* It was quite pretty, actually, with the bluffs and pine trees.* I think the town elevation is 3000+ feet.* It was about 3 hours south of Rapid City and the Mt. Rushmore area.

It was more of a cattle-ranching area rather than consisting of crop farms.* I have fond memories of it since it was the first place I lived in the U.S., although it was a shock to come to such a small city, with only one traffic light in town and more cattle than people, it seemed.* Not at all like the big US cities we saw in movies (NY, SF, LA, Chicago), so I had a hard time believing I was in America.

Out there, when people said they were moving or going "out east", they meant Lincoln or Omaha.*
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Deliverance was filmed on the Buffalo River in north central Arkansas.* The Buffalo was the first river to be preserved as "free flowing" by a federal act.* Fabulous canoeing and kayaking. Great smallmouth fishing.* And trout fishing for rainbows, browns and cutthroats is excellent at the confluence with the White River.

I usually associate Nebraska more with pheasant hunting.*
Actually, the movie was made in norther Georgia.

"Deliverance (1972) is British director John Boorman's gripping, absorbing action-adventure film about four suburban Atlanta businessmen friends who encounter disaster in a summer weekend's river-canoeing trip. It was one of the first films with the theme of city-dwellers against the powerful forces of nature. The exciting box-office hit, most remembered for its inspired banjo duel and the brutal, violent action (and sodomy scene), was based on James Dickey's adaptation of his own 1970 best-selling novel (his first) of the same name - he contributed the screenplay and acted in a minor part as the town sheriff.

The stark, uncompromising film was nominated for three Academy Awards (Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Film Editing), but went away Oscar-less. The beautifully-photographed film, shot entirely on location (in northern Georgia's Rabun County that is bisected by the Chattooga River), was the least-nominated film among the other Best Picture nominees..."

source:http://www.filmsite.org/deli.html

Never lived in Nebraska but have drive through it many times. It was not a state that I would want to live in (in more ways than one).
Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
now, you GUYS.

I visited Omaha last year with my SO and, while I was NOT convinced to add it to the list of places I'd consider for retirement, I was pleasantly surprised, overall.

The people were VERY nice, the real estate was increadibly reasonable relative to California, and they've got a nice downtown and some coming museums.
I thought it was funny that the Movie 'About Schmidt' had it's opening scene of Omaha in the winter. I think they were trying to portray a bleak existence.