A Few Things I Discovered While in Nebraska.........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
1)You could film Deliverance there, and there's no need to build a movie set :eek:

2)I have never seen so many 20+ year old vehicles up on blocks in my life......

3)There's no good attorneys in the town of Wahoo (real town 30 miles north of Lincoln)

4)I kept hearing faint sounds of "dueling banjos" as I drove around.........

5)I am convinced there's a bunch of homemade moonshine I can get my hands on...........

6)They have a gorcery store that not only delivers to your house, but helps you load your groceries, and you can't tip them................ :confused:

To be continued...............

Ah, but did you notice the "Nebraska No See"? Hemp growing alongside every rural road and many other places, escaped from when the farmers were encouraged to grow it in WWII.

Yep... Nebraska is a terrible place. Iowa is even worse. ;)

HFWR said:
Ragweed...
Ditchweed.

bow-tie said:
Yep... Nebraska is a terrible place.  Iowa is even worse.  ;)
Do they have fire ants, scorpions, rattlers, dust storms, hail, and tornadoes like Texas?

REW, Ol' Rancher, did I leave anything off the list?

FinanceDude said:
1)You could film Deliverance there, and there's no need to build a movie set :eek:

Deliverance was filmed on the Buffalo River in north central Arkansas.  The Buffalo was the first river to be preserved as "free flowing" by a federal act.  Fabulous canoeing and kayaking. Great smallmouth fishing.  And trout fishing for rainbows, browns and cutthroats is excellent at the confluence with the White River.

I usually associate Nebraska more with pheasant hunting. 

FinanceDude said:

2)I have never seen so many 20+ year old vehicles up on blocks in my life......

3)There's no good attorneys in the town of Wahoo (real town 30 miles north of Lincoln)

4)I kept hearing faint sounds of "dueling banjos" as I drove around.........

5)I am convinced there's a bunch of homemade moonshine I can get my hands on...........

6)They have a gorcery store that not only delivers to your house, but helps you load your groceries, and you can't tip them................ :confused:

To be continued...............

I drove through there last year. It's a radio wasteland as well!

Cut-Throat said:
I drove through there last year. It's a radio wasteland as well!

That's strange.......... Same satellite sigs hit your antenna in Nebr as in Minn.

Deliverance was filmed on the Buffalo River in north central Arkansas. Fabulous canoeing and kayaking.

As long as you don't meet up with any locals who think you're fabulous.

Nords said:
Do they have fire ants, scorpions, rattlers, dust storms, hail, and tornadoes like Texas?

REW, Ol' Rancher, did I leave anything off the list?

Yep, just a few: Killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs (I shot one in my "back yard" at 7:45 this morning - photo below), oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, rednecks, unbelievably high property taxes, and lack of real estate appreciation.

I think that covers most of it...

img_427424_0_87fb6ae6fdd21df86bf0fa89a5338904.jpg

youbet said:

Me too

although I've made several cross state trips on my way to Colorado. The 75MPH speed limit is the only gift

REWahoo! said:
wild hogs (I shot one in my "back yard" at 7:45 this morning - photo below)
Yummy, you've solved the ominvore's dilemma!

You'll have to let us know whether you prefer corn-fed or "free range"...

TromboneAl said:
As long as you don't meet up with any locals who think you're fabulous.

And, of course, the most famous local was the man himself, Billy "Bubba" Clinton.  His "Whitewater" property is right there adjacent to the area where the movie was filmed!   

Did you know Nebraska has a provision for an 'emergency divorce'?

That's for when a man with wealth and power wants to dump his wife and children without harmful publicity.

now, you GUYS.

I visited Omaha last year with my SO and, while I was NOT convinced to add it to the list of places I'd consider for retirement, I was pleasantly surprised, overall.

The people were VERY nice, the real estate was increadibly reasonable relative to California, and they've got a nice downtown and some coming museums.

And there's Johnny's steakhouse... A lot of pioneer history if you like that sort of thing...

Caroline

P.S. Isn't EVERY divorce an "emergency," Kahn? ;-D

Caroline said:
now, you GUYS.

I visited Omaha last year with my SO and, while I was NOT convinced to add it to the list of places I'd consider for retirement, I was pleasantly surprised, overall.

The people were VERY nice, the real estate was increadibly reasonable relative to California, and they've got a nice downtown and some coming museums.

And there's Johnny's steakhouse... A lot of pioneer history if you like that sort of thing...

Caroline

P.S. Isn't EVERY divorce an "emergency," Kahn? ;-D

Ask Bob Dole's first wife.

Went to school in a small state college in the panhandle region of NE.  This was from '84 to '85 and again in '93 to '94.  That's in the northwest corner of the state and is not as flat as the eastern portion.  It was quite pretty, actually, with the bluffs and pine trees.  I think the town elevation is 3000+ feet.  It was about 3 hours south of Rapid City and the Mt. Rushmore area.

It was more of a cattle-ranching area rather than consisting of crop farms.  I have fond memories of it since it was the first place I lived in the U.S., although it was a shock to come to such a small city, with only one traffic light in town and more cattle than people, it seemed.  Not at all like the big US cities we saw in movies (NY, SF, LA, Chicago), so I had a hard time believing I was in America.

Out there, when people said they were moving or going "out east", they meant Lincoln or Omaha.  :D

youbet said:
Deliverance was filmed on the Buffalo River in north central Arkansas.  The Buffalo was the first river to be preserved as "free flowing" by a federal act.  Fabulous canoeing and kayaking. Great smallmouth fishing.  And trout fishing for rainbows, browns and cutthroats is excellent at the confluence with the White River.

Actually, the movie was made in norther Georgia.

"Deliverance (1972) is British director John Boorman's gripping, absorbing action-adventure film about four suburban Atlanta businessmen friends who encounter disaster in a summer weekend's river-canoeing trip. It was one of the first films with the theme of city-dwellers against the powerful forces of nature. The exciting box-office hit, most remembered for its inspired banjo duel and the brutal, violent action (and sodomy scene), was based on James Dickey's adaptation of his own 1970 best-selling novel (his first) of the same name - he contributed the screenplay and acted in a minor part as the town sheriff.

The stark, uncompromising film was nominated for three Academy Awards (Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Film Editing), but went away Oscar-less. The beautifully-photographed film, shot entirely on location (in northern Georgia's Rabun County that is bisected by the Chattooga River), was the least-nominated film among the other Best Picture nominees..."

source:http://www.filmsite.org/deli.html

Never lived in Nebraska but have drive through it many times. It was not a state that I would want to live in (in more ways than one).

Caroline said:
now, you GUYS.

I thought it was funny that the Movie 'About Schmidt' had it's opening scene of Omaha in the winter. I think they were trying to portray a bleak existence. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom