Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Couldn't have started the book without you guys, and I definitely couldn't have finished it without you. Thanks again.

I've also learned to be nearly immune to trolling, both online and in real life...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Too many tips and tricks to count. Cutting paper towel rolls in half to save money. Rolling a 401K into the TSP after retirement from the gumint. Asset allocation done 10 different ways.

It's great to get other opinions before making a decision. I usually learn a new, better possible course of action. Even if I don't, there's value in knowing I haven't overlooked anything important.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I learned that when it comes to knowledge of economics, I'm still in kindergarten

I mean really! There are some very highly educated and/or well read people on this forum. Sometimes the discussions are way over my head, but eventually someone comes along and helps make it more understandable.

I agree that this was a place of refuge during the big market dive. The humor and "we're all in this together" atmosphere kept me from doing something stupid in the dark days of last winter. Thanks all.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Why bunnies with pancakes on their heads matter...

How the heck to interpret FIRECalc.

A reasonable level of moderation can help an online community thrive, and help everyone get along. (Thanks, moderators!)

101 fun things to do with a GPS box...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #25
Administrator

The most important things I have learned:
- Make your bets on asset classes not fund managers
- Invest in low cost index funds
- Everbank for currency diversification
- LBYM
- Most importantly, this site is full of amazing people who are extremely smart, listen and learn.
- Everything I ever needed to know about Cougars and that Rich was a cougar tamer cabana boy.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I am a fan boy too. Best forum I have ever heard about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

The public library. It seems so silly that I never thought of getting books from the library, but I didn't. When I started here I was spending thousands of dollars a year for books. I didn't realize libraries now let you check catalogs online and reserve books and just pick them up. Nords, you saved me a lot of money.
I used to spend a bundle on books before ER. I can't remember precisely when I learned the DC library has online ordering but I think I too may have check after reading one of Nords' posts. Thank you, thank you, thank you Nords -- I have saved thousands.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I could fill volumes too, but what probably drew me in the most:
  • Other LBYMers, we're not a majority in mainstream society. It's a relief to get away from all the folks engaged in a (hopeless) search for happiness in that never-ending next material possession.
  • Other Boglehead/Bernstein type investors, I am resolutely the latter. I did go the full-service broker/active trader route in my early years, but fortunately recognized the pitfalls long ago.
This is a great online community, there are people here I admire and listen to. I have learned a lot, more than I've contributed.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I learned of The Adventures of Tioga and George in this Forum. My day is not complete until I read his daily post. He lives my idea of the perfect retired life. This morning, for example, he tells of needing to get to the U.S. in a "hurry":

Quote:
This morning the TiogaRV Team will head north for the United States! This trip is especially to visit our Datastorm dealer and friend Steve O'Bosky, to get our Mr. Datastorm working again.
We plan to drive about four hours each day. Wherever we are after a four hour drive, that is where we will make our Camp.
How he survives that kind of pressure, I'll never know.

BTW, his website should be listed under "Quick Links" in the infamous Right Column.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I love to exchange posts with other LBYM'ers, and learned money saving tips from other members.

But what I found most astonishing was that 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do.

It took me a while to get used to it, but I initially thought "What a bunch of horny geezers!".
Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NW-bound: Well, you know what St Agustin said: Dear God My Lord...give me chastity, ...but not yet.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But what I found most astonishing was that 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do.

It took me a while to get used to it, but I initially thought "What a bunch of horny geezers!".
We aren't geezers. The US is a giant youth cult, but that attitude is quite mistaken. My brother who is younger than I am has a 75 yo GF. He says she is cute, has her head on straight and effs like a high school girl on prom night. Furthermore, they aren't buying any KY jelly.

How's that for a LBYM tip? Get a horny old gal and end your trips to Walgreens for lube.

Ha
Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

And to proves NW-Bound's point (" 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
We aren't geezers. The US is a giant youth cult, but that attitude is quite mistaken. My brother who is younger than I am has a 75 yo GF. He says she is cute, has her head on straight and effs like a high school girl on prom night. Furthermore, they aren't buying any KY jelly.

How's that for a LBYM tip? Get a horny old gal and end your trips to Walgreens for lube.

Ha
Old 10-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Really? Hmmm.... My thought is you are the first one to bring up sex in this thread.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post

I mean really! There are some very highly educated and/or well read people on this forum. Sometimes the discussions are way over my head, but eventually someone comes along and helps make it more understandable.
I agree. There are some amazing people here. As a small fish in a big pond I find it best for me to sit in a corner, listen carefully, and take notes.
I even search out posts by a certain few because I know I'm most likely going to learn something.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And to proves NW-Bound's point (" 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do.")
I am not sure what you are saying. What I am saying is that older people are no different from younger people, they like food, they like diversions, and they like sex. Perhaps for some that is a circumstance for tittering, for others is part of a good life.

Ha
Old 10-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Between this gang and the Bogleheads gang (many of the same folks) I feel that all that I have to do is read the threads and make an occasional comment that hopefully adds to the discussion and I have as much in depth knowledge about the issues that concern me as are obtainable anywhere on earth.

I take it for granted that you will all be here forever.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am not sure what you are saying. What I am saying is that older people are no different from younger people, they like food, they like diversions, and they like sex.
Seriously?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Between this gang and the Bogleheads gang (many of the same folks) I feel that all that I have to do is read the threads and make an occasional comment that hopefully adds to the discussion and I have as much in depth knowledge about the issues that concern me as are obtainable anywhere on earth.

I take it for granted that you will all be here forever.
Oh, sure! Well, as a group we might be here forever.Like anywhere, individual members do come and go - - but as much as I miss those who have left us, I really do appreciate some of the articulate, intelligent, insightful, and even funny "new" folks who have shown up during the time I have spent here.

I think the Bogleheads board is a fantastic resource and I read there a lot. In fact, I discovered this board from a mention on the M* Vanguard Diehards board, from which Bogleheads branched off like a Phoenix when the need arose. So these forums seem like brothers, sisters, and offspring in a sense.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When I started here I was spending thousands of dollars a year for books. I didn't realize libraries now let you check catalogs online and reserve books and just pick them up. Nords, you saved me a lot of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I used to spend a bundle on books before ER. I can't remember precisely when I learned the DC library has online ordering but I think I too may have check after reading one of Nords' posts. Thank you, thank you, thank you Nords -- I have saved thousands.
You're welcome, guys, I had no idea.

In my teens & 20s I probably spent over $100/month on paperbacks and various "book of the month" clubs. (That's an average-- ages 23-26 I was spending a solid seven months a year overseas or underwater.) This entertainment category came under significant pressure right after the wedding... hence my inter-library lending experience.

Coincidentally when our kid was born we started putting roughly the same amount aside for the college fund. Worked great.

Quote:
And yet, somehow, people still wonder what we do all day!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I could never list them all, but a few came to mind for me today. (snip)

The public library. It seems so silly that I never thought of getting books from the library, but I didn't. When I started here I was spending thousands of dollars a year for books. I didn't realize libraries now let you check catalogs online and reserve books and just pick them up. Nords, you saved me a lot of money. (snip)
Not only that, libraries often enable you to borrow books they don't have in their own collection. By online search in WorldCat you can find out which libraries have the book you want, then request it via interlibrary loan. There may be a fee for this, but often it's free and it almost certainly costs less than buying the book.