Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #41
Administrator

A few things I learned:

How Forums work - this is the first forum I ever joined (4+ years ago)

How FireCalc works - I found the forum through using FireCalc - can't remember how I found FireCalc

Advice and pointers to all sorts of useful stuff, CD's, Credit Cards, AA and far too many other things to list

How Annuities work and their problems

There are LOT's of LBYM'ers out there ready to share, and some of them are really nice folks, miserly with money but not so with advice, humor and friendliness.

A good place to share health issues, including Health Insurance and costs. This particular forum was not around originally but it is a great forum - thanks very much to Rich for agreeing to moderate this.

And finally, thank you to all the moderators, they devote much time and effort to keeping the forums well regulated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I learned that despite what mainstream media likes to say, there are real people who retire successfully without having a millions of dollars.

PenFed rocks.

I like having a place where people talk openly about money and personal finances. I appreciate all the cost cutting tips. And the travel blogs and the photography posts.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... older people are no different from younger people, they like food, they like diversions, and they like sex...
How true! One would be lying if he said otherwise. Or he has some other problems. Ahem.

I still have not frequented nor even lurked at any other forum. However, I have recently spent some time scanning full-time RV'er blogs. Initially, it was for their travel experience, but some also have interesting philosophical viewpoints. Two years ago, I surfed the Web mainly for technical info in my field of work, and to read articles published by "established" media sources.

I am glad to see that many members here are still avid readers of books, either in printed or electronic forms. For in-depth discussions and reflections, books cannot be beat and will be with us for a while.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I miss those who have left us,
Well, in case I wake up missing:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that was amazingly out of context, RonBoyd, from my post which follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oh, sure! Well, as a group we might be here forever.Like anywhere, individual members do come and go - - but as much as I miss those who have left us, I really do appreciate some of the articulate, intelligent, insightful, and even funny "new" folks who have shown up during the time I have spent here.

I think the Bogleheads board is a fantastic resource and I read there a lot. In fact, I discovered this board from a mention on the M* Vanguard Diehards board, from which Bogleheads branched off like a Phoenix when the need arose. So these forums seem like brothers, sisters, and offspring in a sense.
In over a quarter century of reading message boards and usenet posts, I believe that is the most out of context quote I have ever seen!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...But what I found most astonishing was that 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do.

It took me a while to get used to it, but I initially thought "What a bunch of horny geezers!".
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Oh the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees...
Your serve.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Some are talkers and some are doers. Oops, wrong saying.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Oh the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees...
Your serve.
I'm still trying to shake the fact that I am considered a horny geezer at the age of 51....
Old 10-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Another thing this forum does for yours truly is it triggers me to go research terminology I've never heard of and financial subjects I had previously encountered in my investment books but just kinda skipped over.
I've always been an avid life long learner type, and this site has motivated me to rekindle that natural curiosity.
I was stuck in a bureaucratic j*b for way too long and really felt my mind idling from not being challenged anymore. Not so here!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Sorry! Let me fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm still trying to shake the fact that I am considered a horny geezer at the age of 51.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #51
Gone but not forgotten

I've learned how to cook perfect wings ( thanks Connie ) and Brewer , I have been listening every time you speak about bonds so thank you for some great hints . I 've also got to look at travel outside the box and I really can see the RV draw . Thank you everyone !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
I even search out posts by a certain few because I know I'm most likely going to learn something.
Could be an interesting poll there, but there would be too many choices and someone deserving would get left out no doubt...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #53

....that DW and I are not weird because we think it is shortsighted and foolish to finance every "I wanna..." with credit cards and home equity loans, and we think Zero Debt is a good place to be, not an opportunity to take out more loans.

....many others are dealing with what to do about elderly parents who refuse to recognize that what worked last year isn't going to work anymore.

....no one else has an economic crystal ball either.

....watch what amounts to debates over what's the most cost-effective and efficient way to have fun.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #54

I wish my non cyber friends were as entertaining as all of you folks....!
Old 10-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I learned I have nothing to say on this forum if I don't get out there in the real world. Or is it that I have nothing to say. Where to edit that first sentence? Less is more?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I learned I have nothing to say on this forum if I don't get out there in the real world. Or is it that I have nothing to say. Where to edit that first sentence? Less is more?
True! I also realized I have less to say since I stopped reading the WSJ and Business Week. Business Week is now crap, but maybe it is time to look at the journal again.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
True! I also realized I have less to say since I stopped reading the WSJ and Business Week. Business Week is now crap, but maybe it is time to look at the journal again.
Oh! That's interesting. I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice that I, too, have found, since ending up here, that almost (if not all) the magazines I previously found worthwhile are now in the "crap" file -- and the list is extensive. I have, during that same time, placed the online equivalents (MarketWatch, Morningstar, etc) into that same bin. The quality (and, I might add, the diversity) of the discussions here put everything found elsewhere in the 101 category.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Well, we have members from all walks of life, different life experiences, and even different cultures, like yourself.

Sometimes, in trying to be entertaining, we may accidentally offend, like I might have just done with the term "horny geezers".

Don't know about horny, but I have said that though I look young in person, I mentally age before my time. I wonder about my body too. I drive like a geezer (55 mph on the freeway that allows 65), and actually dislike talks about speed, fast cars, motorcycles, bicycles, etc... You didn't see me participate in any of those threads. I don't like loud music. Rock music upsets me.

I AM a geezer before my time. Not proud of it or anything, just stating the fact.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm still trying to shake the fact that I am considered a horny geezer at the age of 51....
I just ignored it.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Cuppa: What do you mean? I donīt see the connection between your post and mine?