Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

a food processor or a 'boat motor'?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

a food processor or a 'boat motor'?

I would like a kitchen tool for pureeing soups and making pesto, nothing else. Which is better for my needs? A food processor seems like a good choice but they cost close to $100 and I don't want or need one for cutting/slicing things so they can do things I wouldn't use it for. A hand held mixer, Emril calls it a boat motor, is cheaper and would be good for pureeing but can you make pesto with it or does that require a food processor?

Thanks!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #2

The "boat motor" can make pesto but it needs to be a good heavy duty one that will cost almost as much as a blender. If you don't need to it to slice then a blender may be a better choice. I have a Ninja brand food prep device that does very well for about $60.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely the boat motor for what you describe, we have both. As long as you don't get too carried away with recipe size (and I mean huge like 12 quarts), a decent boat motor will be very effective. And you will love the easier cleanup with the boat motor. You basically have to take a food processor apart and clean 3-4 parts, so we use our food processor only when we are chopping, slicing large quantities. When I finish with the boat motor, I just run it under a stream of water from the faucet and it's almost clean already. Our boat motor is a Braun MR 72 (however we bought a few of the attachments intended to make a boat motor more versatile, none proved to be worthwhile IMO). Good luck...

Edit: I just noticed a KitchenAid "boat motor" at Target for $49.95 FWIW...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I make potato leek soup fairly often and used to use a regular blender. That worked fine but there are issues with stuff shooting up through the center part of the lid. I started using one of those immersible hand blenders and it works great (also called stick blenders). Mine is a Braun 160 watt. I couldn't find one online but there are lots of others that looked good in the $40-$60 range.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #5

Buy a blender with a small food processor attachment. Soup in the blender, pesto in the mini-chopper.

Mine is a Hamilton Beach.

-- Rita
Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have both.

My food chopper is a simple rotating dual blade model, older but similar to this type of design
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-H...3802000&sr=1-2
All the parts are dishwasher safe. No silly discs or complicated parts to deal with. Mine has a variable speed slider switch and a pulse control button.

I use the boat motor very rarely. It vibrates too much for my hands. I do like it for pureeing soup.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #7

If you already have a blender (I have an Oster brand), this can be used for both pureeing and making pesto. When I make cream of mushroom soup, I always make multiple servings (1/2 - 1 gal batch) the volume is too big for my small/medium processors and would burn out my cheap immersion unit. If I owned a large/xl processor, then I would use it, but I learned from experience the blender can do the job in 1-2 passes. I find the immersion blender (free promo item from a bank) is best for 1 cup or less, great for making small amounts of fresh mayo. I did see a nice unit for sale at Costco recently (Kitchenaid? brand) that was selling for $29.99 in the event mine broke.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Get a blender. If you go to a second hand/thrift shop, I'll bet you find some nearly new ones there.

I have a very small food chopper - holds about 1 cup. That thing is so handy - not just for mixing smallish amounts but for chopping things like nuts, onions and even shredding cheese.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Both. Garage Sales.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote