A friend sent this to me today...

If there really was a large contingent of Angry White Men then Ron Paul would be leading the Republican primary.

Then again, maybe Ron is a little too intelligent to get elected...

How many platitudes can you cram into one article...

To be honest, I thought it was just going to be a few thousand words of feel-good until that surprise twist at the end with the Clinton slap. I laughed, I cried. Would read again.

To be honest, I thought it was just going to be a few thousand words of feel-good until that surprise twist at the end with the Clinton slap. I laughed, I cried. Would read again.

You could almost hear the violins playing in the background. :D

The Clinton comments are consistent with what I have read elsewhere and what I have heard among my friends, so I wasn't surprised at all to read them.

And there are no non-white, non-male police officers, National Guard soldiers or volunteer firefighters in Louisiana or Mississippi.

Good point! A good proportion of local law enforcement (probably most? 2/3? I don't know but that is my subjective perception) are black, as are the New Orleans chief of police and sheriff of Orleans Parish.

Also, I recall reading a statement from Frank Minyard, the coroner, that close to 50% of the bodies found in New Orleans due to Katrina were white. But only about 33% of the population of New Orleans was white before the storm. Of course, maybe none of those white bodies were males? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good point! A good proportion of local law enforcement (maybe most? I don't know) are black.

Also, according to the coroner close to 50% of the bodies found in New Orleans due to Katrina were white. But only about 33% of the population of New Orleans was white before the storm. Of course, maybe none of those white bodies were males? :rolleyes:

OR angry ^-^

Sounds a lot like me.........

Maybe I need an "Angry White Guy" T-shirt?? :)

Gary Hubbell is a regular columnist with the Aspen Times Weekly.
I can guess that he's a guy, now I wonder what his emotional state & skin color are...

The fact that four million angry white men who voted for Bush twice (and would be glad to vote for him again, since admitting mistakes is apparently a show of weakness in the angry white man code)... the fact that they aren't going to vote for Hillary is supposed to be newsworthy? They aren't going to vote for any other democratic party candidate either, they're not exactly swing voters. Whatever.

The fact that four million angry white men who voted for Bush twice (and would be glad to vote for him again, since admitting mistakes is apparently a show of weakness in the angry white man code)... the fact that they aren't going to vote for Hillary is supposed to be newsworthy? They aren't going to vote for any other democratic party candidate either, they're not exactly swing voters. Whatever.

Well, I'll admit I voted for Bush. But consider the alternative. For me it was a 51% v. 49% thing. I was NOT enthused about either, nor have I ever been in any election.

It's always been an issue of "Which one do I think will do the least amount of damage?" But because of our political system and the way it's funded, the last two standing are always whores anyway.

It is looking like voting for Hillary won't be an option anyway. She's fading fast!!!!

Well, I'll admit I voted for Bush. But consider the alternative. For me it was a 51% v. 49% thing. I was NOT enthused about either, nor have I ever been in any election.

It's always been an issue of "Which one do I think will do the least amount of damage?" But because of our political system and the way it's funded, the last two standing are always whores anyway.

Are you having buyers remorse? or are you one of the 19% who still think Bush is doing a good job? If it's the latter, would you mind saying why? I am really interested and I don't know anyone in that category to ask.

The angry white man piece has some truth to it... there are quite a number of men who do not like Hillary or Obama. Many of them are dissatisfied with GWB over the war and of course the looming recession has added to the anger.

Obama and Hillary symbolize change to a some people (about 1/2).

I suspect that is is going to be a tight race. McCain symbolizes change also to many people (moderates).

The question is: Will the change that the new President elect tries to implement be the type of change you actually want?

I think the race is up in the air. It is a throw the bums out election year and each party has a candidate that symbolizes some level of change. I see it because I am not committed to a candidate yet. However, many that have already selected a candidate probably do not see it (just caught up in some unrealistic fuzzy idea or ticked off at gwb).

I have prioritized the candidates at this stage. After the primaries, and the nominees are announced... I will be writing a check to the one I think is best suited to implementing the programs that I think are important. For me that means status quo is some areas and change in others. I think the US is a great country... it could just use a little tune up.

Are you having buyers remorse? or are you one of the 19% who still think Bush is doing a good job? If it's the latter, would you mind saying why? I am really interested and I don't know anyone in that category to ask.

No, of course I don't think Bush is doing a good job. The war in Irag is one of the the dumbest thing he ever did. But would Edwards have done any better? No one can say.

But that's the problem - by the time the election comes around both parties are trying to "please all the people all the time" and none of them stand for anything.

Both parties seem unable to make the hard decisions to balance the budget - which I think is crucial - because neither will make the hard decisions that they claim they will do. Instead they borrow from the future for today's immediate gratification.

Just like people upside down on their mortgages and credit cards. The difference is one of scale. The piper will be paid. The only question is when and how much.

No, of course I don't think Bush is doing a good job. The war in Irag is one of the the dumbest thing he ever did. But would Edwards have done any better? No one can say.

But that's the problem - by the time the election comes around both parties are trying to "please all the people all the time" and none of them stand for anything.

Both parties seem unable to make the hard decisions to balance the budget - which I think is crucial - because neither will make the hard decisions that they claim they will do. Instead they borrow from the future for today's immediate gratification.

Just like people upside down on their mortgages and credit cards. The difference is one of scale. The piper will be paid. The only question is when and how much.
Thanks. I really have been wondering about the reasoning of the 19% people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom