A golden retriever story.......

Oh Dawg, the tears are rolling down my face after reading this. The wonderful thing about sharing our life with animals is how they teach us how to live and love. The hard part is letting them go. Thanks for sharing this. I will give my kitties some extra special lovin' tonight.

Daisy.....

Oh my God, having had 3 goldens and losing our last one to cancer, I KNOW.....now we have a wonderful black lab, and it will be the same when it is his time.....hopefully not for a long time, even though he is 8 and has diabetes.....because this time I may go with him....I feel for you, though. Hang in there!

SON OF A B!t(H !!!!! I can't read that stuff.... Gets me every time. Now I am sitting here at work ready to go to lunch, but I can't... I gotta wait till my eyes dry up!

My dogs will certainly get some extra lovin tonight.

I tried so hard not to cry, but it didn't work.

Thanks for the link.

Dawg,

Thanks for sharing the Daisy story. We lost our beloved "Shelley" last May after 15 years and it still hurts. A few months ago we adopted our new puppy "Abby" and she has helped with our grieving.

I am convinced that dogs are God's gift to help teach us to love each other unconditionally as our pets do for us.

Thanks for sharing the story. My previous lab (Smokes) had a similar obsession with tennis balls.

At age 12.5, he had some serious health issues (laryngeal paralysis and megaesophagus, resulting in aspiration pneumonia) so I took him to Auburn U. Vet school. They tried antibiotics/fluids by IV but he was not getting any better. He had gone from 90 lbs to about 60 lbs in a few weeks. After a few days, he was sent home with me so he could die at home (was told he had a day or two at most).

I talked with my regular vet, and she gave me oral antibiotics to try for the pneumonia so I used a blender to prepare his food with the meds (due to the megaesophagus he could not eat solid food) and fed him with a syringe. After a month of the oral meds and eating blended food/baby food, he got well enough to take daily walks with me and even chase a tennis ball. I think being at home was what made the difference.

Over the next few months, he gained much of the weight back and had another good year before developing bone cancer (front leg). So, back to Auburn Vet school (they were amazed that he was still alive) for radiation treatment. After a few treatments with no improvement, he got to where he could not walk at all due to the pain. It was about 3 months after diagnosis of the cancer that the vet came out to my house on "the day". He got his favorite treats and wagged his tail to the very end. I know he had a good life of almost 14 years but it seemed like such a short time.

It was about a year and a half (6 months ago) before I adopted my current lab, Coal, who is almost 6 yrs old. They are great companions but it is tough to let them go.

Thanks for sharing the story. My previous lab (Smokes) had a similar obsession with tennis balls.

At age 12.5, he had some serious health issues (laryngeal paralysis and megaesophagus, resulting in aspiration pneumonia) so I took him to Auburn U. Vet school. They tried antibiotics/fluids by IV but he was not getting any better. He had gone from 90 lbs to about 60 lbs in a few weeks. After a few days, he was sent home with me so he could die at home (was told he had a day or two at most).

I talked with my regular vet, and she gave me oral antibiotics to try for the pneumonia so I used a blender to prepare his food with the meds (due to the megaesophagus he could not eat solid food) and fed him with a syringe. After a month of the oral meds and eating blended food/baby food, he got well enough to take daily walks with me and even chase a tennis ball. I think being at home was what made the difference.

Over the next few months, he gained much of the weight back and had another good year before developing bone cancer (front leg). So, back to Auburn Vet school (they were amazed that he was still alive) for radiation treatment. After a few treatments with no improvement, he got to where he could not walk at all due to the pain. It was about 3 months after diagnosis of the cancer that the vet came out to my house on "the day". He got his favorite treats and wagged his tail to the very end. I know he had a good life of almost 14 years but it seemed like such a short time.

It was about a year and a half (6 months ago) before I adopted my current lab, Coal, who is almost 6 yrs old. They are great companions but it is tough to let them go.

Good story. Yes, it seems like time sure does fly by. Mine will turn 8 later this week and seems just like yesterday I drove across state to Vicksburg, MS to pick her up. Boy, what a good decision it was too. Not only is she good company for me, she really brightens up the day for my Mom and Aunt. They keep her for a few hours every day.

Lakedog,

I gotta tell you how much I admire your devotion to Smokes. Since I retired, I have been volunteering at our local municipal animal shelter. It is very depressing to see how many people dump their pets at the first sign of a problem, even a minor one easy to overcome. I wish there were more people like you out there. Coal is the luckiest dog in the world to have been adopted by you.

We had a standard poodle, Spike, that died at only 7 years old of liver failure. Like the dog in the story, he was active and fit. It was tough. I still have dreams with Spike in them. Smartest dog I have ever had. He could walk off leash anywhere, even downtown. We could go inside stores and he would wait patiently outside, ignoring everyone else. If we let him "go" he would sit and wait for you at the corner before crossing the street. If he was out on the beach running around and began to chase something, we could say "drop" and he would stop dead and drop to the ground.

Our little weiner dog Judy is a dim but cuddly little dog. She is almost 14. I really am seeing her age. She won't chase a ball more than twice.

I can't read that stuff. I too have a golden named Daisy, that was just too much for me.

Two years have gone by very quickly. It wasn't that long ago she looked like this
img_777671_0_eed1493b3685831f80d78258ce6c8c5a.jpg

I can't read that stuff. I too have a golden named Daisy, that was just too much for me.

Daisy is just about the cutest pup I've ever seen. Goldens are great dogs, so gentle and loving.

Two years have gone by very quickly. It wasn't that long ago she looked like this
img_777957_0_eed1493b3685831f80d78258ce6c8c5a.jpg

She is a pretty one. Look at those ears. Dark colored golden. I guess she is dark all over by now.:)

She is a pretty one. Look at those ears. Dark colored golden. I guess she is dark all over by now.:)

She got darker, but not that deeper reddish color like some Goldens do.

img_778065_0_b45b7a89eff08e90cd1967fa38b128a9.jpg

I gave mine a bath just yesterday, but she was not that dirty.:eek:

My wife left the house when she saw her standing at the back door. It's my job to bathe her which seems to happen a couple times a week.

She swims at every opportunity. :LOL:

My wife left the house when she saw her standing at the back door. It's my job to bathe her which seems to happen a couple times a week.

She swims at every opportunity. :LOL:

I still see that adorable little pup in there. What a cutie pie! :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom