Join Early Retirement Today

A Good Week
Old 05-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A Good Week

My house went under contract on Tuesday, not even 2 weeks on the market and to just the 3rd person who looked at it. $2300 under my asking price, and I can stay in the house a few days after DD's graduation, so the dates work perfect for me. I was a bit worried about having to move out a week or two early and dealing with a motel and storage. I was more worried that the market was drying up here and it might take time and a price drop to get an offer. Call it luck, but I did pick this house carefully and made improvements with resale in mind.

This was the last thing putting my summer calendar in question, so now we're free to set dates and plan our trip to Europe.

My request at work to go 1/2 time with 1/2 pay and reduced benefits was approved today. That will start on June 2. I'm fully aware I'm suffering from "one more year" syndrome, but this should be a good transition to retirement. I'm not at all sure I'll be able to hold to 20 hours, but if I work more hours one week I plan to balance it with less the next. If too many weeks are too busy to do that, I'll just put in a date to leave for good.

Smaller things too:
At the same time I got the 1/2 time news, I also got a small bonus for keeping up with multiple hot customer situations over the last month. Wasn't much, but nice to be appreciated.

DD continues to be excited about entering college this fall, even though she's not going to her first choice school. She was thrilled to get her email address yesterday.

Had a fun day trip up to Ft Worth on Sunday, to play floorball with players in the DFW area.

30K trail run coming up this Sunday, with cool weather promised for the race start--a real bonus for May in Texas! DD is doing the 10K.

It's a charmed life right now. But I did do a lot to set myself up for this, nothing has just fallen into my lap.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My house went under contract on Tuesday, not even 2 weeks on the market and to just the 3rd person who looked at it. $2300 under my asking price, and I can stay in the house a few days after DD's graduation, so the dates work perfect for me. I was a bit worried about having to move out a week or two early and dealing with a motel and storage. I was more worried that the market was drying up here and it might take time and a price drop to get an offer. Call it luck, but I did pick this house carefully and made improvements with resale in mind.

This was the last thing putting my summer calendar in question, so now we're free to set dates and plan our trip to Europe.

My request at work to go 1/2 time with 1/2 pay and reduced benefits was approved today. That will start on June 2. I'm fully aware I'm suffering from "one more year" syndrome, but this should be a good transition to retirement. I'm not at all sure I'll be able to hold to 20 hours, but if I work more hours one week I plan to balance it with less the next. If too many weeks are too busy to do that, I'll just put in a date to leave for good.

Smaller things too:
At the same time I got the 1/2 time news, I also got a small bonus for keeping up with multiple hot customer situations over the last month. Wasn't much, but nice to be appreciated.

DD continues to be excited about entering college this fall, even though she's not going to her first choice school. She was thrilled to get her email address yesterday.

Had a fun day trip up to Ft Worth on Sunday, to play floorball with players in the DFW area.

30K trail run coming up this Sunday, with cool weather promised for the race start--a real bonus for May in Texas! DD is doing the 10K.

It's a charmed life right now. But I did do a lot to set myself up for this, nothing has just fallen into my lap.

Sounds fantastic!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. Hope you have more weeks like this.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Administrator

Congratulations!!! Sounds like a dream come true.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Sounds great!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations ! I also retired in stages and it was great !
Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats and good luck on that 30K!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

And today the home inspector just told the buyer this house was in the best shape of any 11 year old house he's seen in years, and congratulated her on finding a great house. He noted 2 small things that might cost me $200-300 to repair. Woo-HOO!