A Hint of Autumn

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last week or so the mornings have been chilly. This morning I closed my windows for the first time since June. It's a sunny day, and it will be quite warm by afternoon, but for now, it's clear something has turned.

How fast or strongly this happens depends on just where you are. One late August my wife and I were camping up in Nakusp, B.C., on the upper Columbia. We woke up to ice in our canteens. Ouch!

Overall, it does not please me as I love summer. This year I traveled a bit in early August, and I likely will do any traveling in different months in the future. August here is too perfect to spend anywhere else.

Ha

Last edited:
Where I live, the weather seems to change around Labor Day. We had a cooler spell a few weeks ago, but this week is supposed to be hot again. My favorite season is autumn, so I'm looking forward to it.

We are only still heading into our warmest months (Sept, Oct) here in San Francisco. Autumn is pretty much inexistant in this area. Once DW retires, I hope we can spend the fall season in the south - beautiful foliage, mild temps, football season.

Here in NW Florida some of the hottest days are in late August and early September. It is 88 now with a heat index of 101. But we have a thunderstorm rumbling in. That will cool it down for a little while. Then if the sun comes back out, the steamy humidity will come back stronger than ever.

We have another month before it will really cool off. I work nights, and when I leave at midnight, it is still as hot as lots of places see in the afternoon. But then I don't have any snow to shovel in winter.

We over 80F today, so summer is still here.

I was in Discovery Park in Seattle on Saturday for a walk and noticed the elm trees are starting to drop their leaves. I often see the leaves turn earlier in the cities east of Seattle, so was surprised to watch the leaves flutter down.

As north Texas summers go, this one has been relatively mild. Can't find the exact number of >100 degrees this year, but I'd guess 20 or so.

Far cry from these years:

YEARDAYS >100CONSECUTIVE DAYS

Although still hot and summery where I live, the shortening daylight plays havoc with my internal clock.

Last week had a few low 40F at nights. This week back into the 80's daytime 50ies at night.

August 5 is halfway between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox (also my birthday :)) so I think of that as midsummer.

I love summer.

August 5 is halfway between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox (also my birthday :)) so I think of that as midsummer.

I love summer.
Happy birthday! :flowers:

Most of my life I lived in MO. I was used to the feeling of fall arriving on the first day of September. Even though I've lived in TX for over nineteen years, I expect that same feeling.

I can dream, can't I?

Back
Top Bottom