A Late Life Decision...

Based on everything I have read from you this must be a joke. Way too much house for your taste. And way too much work to maintain.

I need to move.

I live in a 49 year old house...that is less than 1/2 that size...on a lot that is about the same size. With a yard that looks like a trash heap compared to that one.

And yet, our house would list for $550K unfurnished.

I know we live in a pretty HCOL, but sheesh. That's quite a difference.

We gave up 3700 sq feet, three levels because we realized that we only used three rooms on the main floor and one bedroom upstairs.

Never ventured into the finished basement. We did not want 5 bedrooms. DW did not want four full bathrooms or two sets of stairs. Not to mention the two furnaces, mtce summer and winter, taxes, and all the other items that pop up.

Now on one level, 1500 sq feet open plan and happier. It was not a financial issue for us, purely lifestyle.

Different strokes for different folks. Not for us but if that is what you want, go for it. You can consider all the reasons not to do something. We tend to look at the reasons why do something.

Last edited:
We look at a lot of real estate. Experience says that looking is way way WAY cheaper and easier than owning. I've been pruning small hedges this morning and keep sitting down and catching my breath for a time before clambering up on the 6' ladder to wave the trimmer around. At 65 I was walking on top of the block wall to do the trimming. Now almost 70 and not so spry. We get plenty of joy driving by places we've looked at; some we regret not buying, but we make the best decisions we can at any time. Looking is free. Owning is work.

Not sure why you would want to go with something so small. Buy something with a little 'elbow room'. Go for something with at least 20,000 sq feet, anything less will leave you unsatisfied. :cool:

Beautiful home. For me personally, it is too large, too many steps, and too much upkeep. However, if it would make you happy and is not a financial detriment, why not?

Back
Top Bottom