Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
....I am not sure about mounting it on the wall in an apartment, can I do that Seems like it would do some damage to the walls!....
Shouldn't be a problem. My 46" mount is four 4" lag bolts that secure the mount to the wall. Like easysurfer said, it is important to find the studs (use a studfinder - about $10 at the hardware store if you don't already have one).

When you leave, just take down the mount, spackle the 4 holes (only about 3/8" each and paint. Should be no big deal.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am not sure about mounting it on the wall in an apartment, can I do that Seems like it would do some damage to the walls!
Talk to the apartment maintenance/supervisor. Maybe they can install the wall mount for you for some $$. They may be familiar with the location of the studs on the wall.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Talk to the apartment maintenance/supervisor. Maybe they can install the wall mount for you for some $$. They may be familiar with the location of the studs on the wall.
I actually have a bit of experience locating studs and can handle that part .......
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have a 60" HDTV about 10 feet in front of my easy chair (a big no-no, ask all the know-it-alls), and I LOVE being able to see TV clearly for the first time in my life. My vision is bad and for me, this is perfect.

As for a stand, I went in the opposite direction towards something pretty big and unconventional. While I was shopping for a stand, I temporarily put it on a 7' massive, heavy, ornate, antique oak dining table that wasn't being used. I love the stability and sturdiness, and the vast room on the table for components and such. The height is perfect for me. By now, I have had a chance to shop and find the TV stand I like best, but it could never be as sturdy or convenient as the dining table. So, I have the stand in mind but have not bought it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I actually have a bit of experience locating studs and can handle that part .......
You have a very clever wit. You will be quite popular here.

Ha
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I have 4 mounted on walls. I installed 3 into wall units using brackets that I built myself. These are all stationary and are very sturdy. My exercise room tv is on a swivel mount and seems less sturdy, but can easily be adjusted.

Like others have said - mounting to studs is the only way to go. You should be able to find a bracket listed for the weight of your tv, and then lag bolt the bracket to the wall. Some brackets are 2 piece. One attaches to the wall. One attaches to the tv, and then you hang the tv and its mount on the wall mount. Very simple and sturdy.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't hesitate to use the stand. Contrary to the OP, my mother would have figured this one out in a flash but my father wouldn't.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Input from a woman here...

I also have a 60" HDTV that I originally had thought to mount on the wall but changed my mind when it was delivered. I think it is the perfect size for my den off the kitchen as I can watch the TV while preparing a meal.

It sits on the old TV stand which was purchased with my previous Sony Trinitron and it extends about 6 inches on either side of the stand but seems quite stable. Not ideal, but I don't have small children to worry about. I have been trying to find a mid-century modern credenza large enough to hold the TV with a little space on either side, but have not located one so far. I have been eyeing up a new retro-looking media stand from the Design Within Reach website, but I am hoping for a sale with free delivery before I consider springing for something like that.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

And I've never had any complaints that it's "too big"...

BOT, for ergonomic reasons, best to mount the thing near eye level. Your neck will thank you!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #30

Hola, now I know what early retirees do all day and night.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
BOT, for ergonomic reasons, best to mount the thing near eye level. Your neck will thank you!
I saw a number of statements like this when I was trying to decide where to mount our 48" TV in our family room. The best location was above the fireplace in the center of the room but the mantle is 5 ft off the floor. Since the stand for the TV was the same depth as the mantle, I placed it there as a test to see how it worked. Two years later and it is still there - and our necks haven't suffer at all.

The distance from the TV and the type of chair you sit in for viewing has a huge impact on how well an elevated wall mount will work for you.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a 60" HDTV about 10 feet in front of my easy chair (a big no-no, ask all the know-it-alls), and I LOVE being able to see TV clearly for the first time in my life. My vision is bad and for me, this is perfect.
I have poor vision as well, so I have a 70" TV and designed a table to match underneath it. Easy chair is very close as well.

70 TV.jpg
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
I asked my sister and a girlfriend this question and they both told me that I need to ask a man for the answer as it was a "man" question.

I just bought a 60" LCD TV and was planning on buying one of those stands that you can mount it on so it sits a bit higher. However, most of them, that are reasonably priced at least, say for up to 50".or up to 100 -120 #'s. Now, the TV is less than 100# and actually is only 50" across if you are not measuring diagonally. So, can I make it work? or do I have to purchase one specifically for a 60" and above?

I did ask at Bestbuy and got disagreement from the sales clerks, so anyone (man or woman ) know the real answer?
It is best to have a stand rated for a 60" screen, but it is critical for the stand width to be greater than the width of the LCD base and very important for the stand to be a bit wider than the LCD screen. To avoid tipping the LCD base needs to be strapped or screwed to the stand.

Wide stands have a large footprint, one reason wall mounts are so popular, but there are lots of options. If you set up speakers alongside sometime down the road it can look really nice. Here's one site I have used in the past for ideas (and purchases).

TV Stands For Extra Large Flat Screen TVs | 60", 63", 64", 65", 82", 85", 92"

BTW, 60" is a great size screen.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #34

Or, you could take this opportunity to do a little manly remodeling (to beef up the structural support to handle the increased weight).

Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Silly question: How big is the room you have a 60" TV in? I just cannot fathom a 60" TV.
I currently have a 50" set, but have been admiring those 60" and greater ones in Costco. The only thing about those big sets, they are even better when you have a big sound system to support them (eg 5.1)
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Two years later and it is still there - and our necks haven't suffer at all.

With all that looking up, have you tried to lace your shoes lately??
No wait, you are in Texas, disregard the shoe lace question.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
With all that looking up, have you tried to lace your shoes lately?
Mah boots don't have laces...and I've been noticing how purty them clouds are.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
I have poor vision as well, so I have a 70" TV and designed a table to match underneath it. Easy chair is very close as well.

Attachment 15501
Nice set up!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #39

Just a reminder that if you don't go wall mount but use a stand or place on other furniture, consider a safety strap to prevent it from falling. Not an issue if it's just you in the place, but kids have been killed by these big TV's when they pull them forward.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Nice set up!
+1 That is great!

Here's mine on my oak dining table. After looking at it, I guess the table is only 6' long without the leaves. It is rock solid and stable, though. They just don't make furniture like that any more IMO. At first I thought it looked weird, but I am used to it now and I love the accessibility and having more space than I actually need for everything. Like Richard4444, my easy chair is very close and I love it that way. No kids in my house any more, and when there were they were raised fairly strictly and not permitted to misbehave like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV from the left2.jpg (31.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg TV from the right2.jpg (31.4 KB, 2 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote