Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A "man" question
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 331
A "man" question

I asked my sister and a girlfriend this question and they both told me that I need to ask a man for the answer as it was a "man" question.

I just bought a 60" LCD TV and was planning on buying one of those stands that you can mount it on so it sits a bit higher. However, most of them, that are reasonably priced at least, say for up to 50".or up to 100 -120 #'s. Now, the TV is less than 100# and actually is only 50" across if you are not measuring diagonally. So, can I make it work? or do I have to purchase one specifically for a 60" and above?

I did ask at Bestbuy and got disagreement from the sales clerks, so anyone (man or woman ) know the real answer?
__________________

__________________
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
I have a real answer: only a punk-ass tool buys a freaking 60 inch TV.

Seriously, if the weight is within specs and you can center the jumbo-tron on the stand so that the weight is evenly distributed, I don't see why it would not work.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I have a real answer: only a punk-ass tool buys a freaking 60 inch TV.

OK, well this punk ass tool (what the heck is that anyway?) will try it... I just worry about the way the spreader thing, will it match up with a 60" tv? I am just not sure how that works since I have never set one up before.
__________________
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,862
Yep, weight is the most important. If it screws to the set, they need to match mounting styles. The 60" may be a little tippy since it will be a little higher and wider than the stand expects.
__________________
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Yep, weight is the most important. If it screws to the set, they need to match mounting styles. The 60" may be a little tippy since it will be a little higher and wider than the stand expects.
+1

TV size is measured diagonally, but weight and mounting match up are the key factors.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 331
I guess my question is how to determine if the mounting will match? I was planning on ordering the stand from Amazon or Overstock so won't get it to inspect it before it is delivered.
__________________
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I guess my question is how to determine if the mounting will match? I was planning on ordering the stand from Amazon or Overstock so won't get it to inspect it before it is delivered.
Maybe if you posted a "manly" link to the stand, we could evaluate it a bit further. Hurry though, I can't keep these biceps flexed too much longer..
__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Maybe if you posted a "manly" link to the stand, we could evaluate it a bit further. Hurry though, I can't keep these biceps flexed too much longer..
OK, well the decorating in this picture is about as MANLY as it gets.... surely this is a bachelor pad if I have EVER seen one!! No woman is going to live with this thing in the house!

Brax TV Console with Mount Bracket | Overstock.com
__________________
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Even if the mounting works with your 60" set and the weight is OK, I'd be concerned the TV would overwhelm the stand from an appearance standpoint. That stand is not all that large - 54" wide according to the specs.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Even if the mounting works with your 60" set and the weight is OK, I'd be concerned the TV would overwhelm the stand from an appearance standpoint. That stand is not all that large - 54" wide according to the specs.
Ditto the above. I think the 50 inch figure they use is referring to screen size. I would not try this with a 60, or even a 50 actually.
I notice your website has a Q&A feature which might be worth a shot.
__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
I might be way behind the times with this stuff, but what about a wall mount?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,407
Mounting can be an issue. I had a 46" HDTV and bought a wall mount that was for 19-47" tv's and the mounting holes didn't work even though the tv was within the 19-47" range, so I had to buy the next larger mount.

Have you considered mounting it on a wall with either a fixed mount or a swing mount instead of a stand?

My neighbor has his 60" on a fixed mount on the wall and loves it, but it "works" well in the room it was in. Similarly, I have my 46" on a swing mount and it works well in the great room since I can swivel it a bit and watch it from the dining area.

(Sorry for the echo of brewer's post - saw it after I posted this)
__________________
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Silly question: How big is the room you have a 60" TV in? I just cannot fathom a 60" TV.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Silly question: How big is the room you have a 60" TV in? I just cannot fathom a 60" TV.
When I bought my 46", I was deliberating between a 42" or 46" of the same model. IIRC the sales person told me that he had never had anyone come back complaining that they got too big a tv. Sort of like garages.

That said, i could see some of today's monster tvs being too big for a small room.
__________________
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I asked my sister and a girlfriend this question and they both told me that I need to ask a man for the answer as it was a "man" question.

I just bought a 60" LCD TV and was planning on buying one of those stands that you can mount it on so it sits a bit higher. However, most of them, that are reasonably priced at least, say for up to 50".or up to 100 -120 #'s. Now, the TV is less than 100# and actually is only 50" across if you are not measuring diagonally. So, can I make it work? or do I have to purchase one specifically for a 60" and above?

I did ask at Bestbuy and got disagreement from the sales clerks, so anyone (man or woman ) know the real answer?
Consider mounting it or having it mounted on a wall. I am getting mine mounted on an arm that allows me to watch from my desk (so I an use it as a 2nd monitor), my couch, or my rowing machine, which is temporarily in my LR for the football season.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 331
It is going in my new apartment and the room is going to be pretty small. I will sit about 12' from it. Yea, it is probably too big, but I snagged it on of the one deal of the day deals leading up to Black Friday at Bestbuy. It was only $688 which is cheaper than many comparable 50" tvs.

I am not sure about mounting it on the wall in an apartment, can I do that Seems like it would do some damage to the walls!

If not, I may just spend a bit more and buy a normal TV stand... I just prefer them higher but don't want the hassle of having to ship the stand back if it doesn't work out.
__________________
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,884
If you do mount it to the wall, of course, be sure to find the studs for a secure mount. Spackle and paint touch up could fix the holes when you no longer lease. Also, for that huge a TV a given, you defintely want to have two people setting it up.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
It is going in my new apartment and the room is going to be pretty small. I will sit about 12' from it. Yea, it is probably too big, but I snagged it on of the one deal of the day deals leading up to Black Friday at Bestbuy. It was only $688 which is cheaper than many comparable 50" tvs.

I am not sure about mounting it on the wall in an apartment, can I do that Seems like it would do some damage to the walls!

If not, I may just spend a bit more and buy a normal TV stand... I just prefer them higher but don't want the hassle of having to ship the stand back if it doesn't work out.
We have a nice console that is 36" tall which I think would be close to what you are looking at. It is sturdy as a rock and has lots of storage space. Looks great too.
__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
It is going in my new apartment and the room is going to be pretty small. I will sit about 12' from it. Yea, it is probably too big, but I snagged it on of the one deal of the day deals leading up to Black Friday at Bestbuy. It was only $688 which is cheaper than many comparable 50" tvs.

I am not sure about mounting it on the wall in an apartment, can I do that Seems like it would do some damage to the walls!

If not, I may just spend a bit more and buy a normal TV stand... I just prefer them higher but don't want the hassle of having to ship the stand back if it doesn't work out.
60" is not too big. It will thrill you. People who live across a fairly wide alley from me have a big one on their wall, and I can see it well!

My girlfried has one that is 48 or so, and I know we are not sitting more than 8 feet from it. It really does not matter, it might be impossible to go too big. Agree that a wall hang-job might not be good in a rented place.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
OK, well the decorating in this picture is about as MANLY as it gets.... surely this is a bachelor pad if I have EVER seen one!! No woman is going to live with this thing in the house!

Brax TV Console with Mount Bracket | Overstock.com
If you want to see and touch a similar stand, go to Walmart. I've seen similar TV stands there for prices similar to your Overstock.com link.
__________________

__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:17 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.