Join Early Retirement Today

A moment of silence please...
Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A moment of silence please...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070217/...JHP4OJPnIDW7oF

Co-inventor of the remote control dies at 93 from heart failure and complications resulting from excessive blistering of his right thumb.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A moment of silence please...
Old 02-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my proudest moments was the day I walked in from outside and my son, who was 12 at the time, was in my recliner, holding the remote in one hand and a coke in his other. I asked my wife to take a picture.

To honor Robert Adler, I changed the batteries in all my remotes.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #3

My wife is the big remote person in the house, probably because she is the big TV person in the house. I wonder if that is the real reason she is going to see that orthopedic surgeon. She told me it was her knee.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

given his age, it's somewhat suprising that my elderly mother can often fail to use the remote to do basic operations (on/off) ... and i can't do much more beyond change channels and volume ... and it requires my daughter to do anything more than that ... and the grandchildren for anything really difficult. the generational dimension is interesting.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

After my DH passed I was looking in the entertainment center for something and I found Six brand new remote controls still in plastic. Makes me laugh to wonder what he was thinking ?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

"Hey, never know when you'll need a spare"

Gabe is very proficient with the tivo remote. Turns on the tv, picks his show and starts it. I've got a picture of him in his little blue chair, tivo remote in one hand and my (empty) can of beer that he's trying to get the last drop out of.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
After my DH passed I was looking in the entertainment center for something and I found Six brand new remote controls still in plastic. Makes me laugh to wonder what he was thinking ?
He was thinking what I'm thinking: "I'll never be able to find a replacement for this model again, so I'm not going to make this mistake twice!"

Luckily the TV industry is helping us "upgrade" in 2009 so we can throw out all our old remotes and start over.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Luckily the TV industry is helping us "upgrade" in 2009 so we can throw out all our old remotes and start over.
I understand that the Federal Government is behind this so that they can use the old analog bandwidth for other purposes. See their site http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#whatisdate
Old 02-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
I understand that the Federal Government is behind this so that they can use the old analog bandwidth for other purposes. See their site http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#whatisdate
Oh, well then that makes it OK!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote