Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Now I will have to remember to bump it once a year. But what if we find out in 2022 that this guy's story is a hoax? You guys will come after me with pitch forks
Mark your calendar to batten down the hatches in 2021.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Grrrr...I cannot seem to get your link to work. I really need to have someone look at this computer.
However, RonBoyd, can you give a very brief description of what that article says?
I tried pulling it up other ways, but no go. Frustrating. I am really curious what is in there.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
However, RonBoyd, can you give a very brief description of what that article says?
Here is the whole article: (http://webpages.charter.net/boerad/N...erFall2005.pdf

Michener’s Egyptian Princess
by Stephen J. May

James A. Michener can rightly take his place among some of the best selling authors of the twentieth century: Agatha Christie, Taylor Caldwell, Stephen King, and more recently J.K. Rowling, who has literally transformed publishing with her exploits of a boy wizard. Unknown to many readers is that Michener followed the teachings of his own wizard—a fortune teller in actuality.

When I first became involved writing Michener’s biography, Michener: A Writer’s Journey, I interviewed many people and uncovered a myriad of tales surrounding the distinguished author. Perhaps no tale was as strange as that of Michener’s relationship with a woman he referred to simply as "The Princess." He detailed this bizarre relationship in a 120-page (typed and double spaced) manuscript, which was held for many years by his agent Owen Laster. In 2003 Special Collections at the University of Northern Colorado acquired it. To a lesser degree, Michener wrote about her in his memoir, The World is My Home (pages 407-11).

Jim first met The Princess in 1933 while he was a research student in Scotland. He was in his mid-thirties and she was in her sixties. Stranded in Cairo, Egypt, "awaiting the arrival of a group I was to accompany up the Nile to Luxor and Aswan," Michener found The Princess in a smoky tavern nestled close to the right bank of the river. "I could not see her well," he recalled. "Her face was in shadows but I did catch a glimpse of a tall woman … black haired, with deeply lined face and piercing eyes. I imagined that she knew exactly what she was doing and that she intended me to visit her table."

Michener soon became involved in her complex method of fortune telling, a method so accurate that it was to ensnare the curious student and beguile him for the rest of his life.
Although the gypsy woman’s system is far too lengthy to relate here, suffice to say, it took Jim several years and countless hours to figure it out and put it into practice. She told him: "You must remember that when you have mastered the system I use, you will have in
your hands a powerful tool. The beauty is that it’s so much subtler than the others are. It combines the best of numbers, the best of astrology, and the best of cards."

After I studied The Princess’s intricate and lengthy system for several hours, one question persisted: Why was a reasonable, intelligent man such as Michener so captivated by the work of a fortune teller he met in a Cairo bar? The answer came slowly: Michener loved games involving logic and mathematics. The more challenging they were, the better he liked them. The Princess’s system was probably one of the most clever and demanding he had ever encountered.

Twenty years after his encounter with her and after Michener had achieved notoriety as a writer, a friend, Bill Vitarelli from George School, Newtown, Pennsylvania, suggested he use his "psychic" powers and become "Mitch the Witch" at the local arts festival in eastern Pennsylvania. "With some trepidation I reported to the festival," Michener noted, "found thirty people in line waiting for me, and at fifty cents a fortune, earned the festival some sixty dollars and myself a rasping larynx."
In the years that followed, as Jim became an expert on the method, a curious thing happened: what he considered entertainment, his clients viewed as deadly serious. He began to feel guilty for using such an accurate way to predict people’s tragedies and failures. "When I saw the eagerness with which otherwise sensible people sought me out to read their cards, and particularly when I began to listen seriously to the questions they wanted me to answer, I began to see that they were taking this frolic much more seriously than I, and the consequences startled me."

Eventually, he gave up his role as "Mitch the Witch" at the festival and temporarily renounced fortune telling as entertainment. Over the years, however, as he traveled throughout the world writing his books, people urged Jim to tell them their fortunes. On most occasions, he good-naturedly consented.

After their initial encounter, Michener never saw The Princess again. In the 1960s, while traveling through Egypt, he happened to stop into the Cairo bar and found out from the owner that she had died.

As for her method, Michener remained a staunch advocate:

"If there are people who illogically insist upon consulting fortune tellers for guidance that they should be getting elsewhere, I can state confidently that this is the best and most helpful system so far devised."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That must be it and much thanks, RonBoyd!!!!!!!!! I only remembered it after reading that article in Parade because I was SO interested in learning how to do it.
When Michener died my first thought was, "Whoopie! Now I'll learn the secret of giving psychic predictions..." Alas! He didn't do what he promised. Thanks alot for nothing, James Michener....and I even read "Hawaii" when it first came out, plus, some of his other stuff, too.