A new hobby

I can't really specify why I find it beautiful. It just is...:flowers: It's an unusual juxtaposition (fruit and cat). Plus, the cat looks to be very fond of the photographer.

I have to agree, and I'm no cat lover myself.

So I'm curious what the more experienced photographers think about it. For me, the spots of light and composition make it so different from the usual 'posed' photos - that is what makes it 'artful' to me.

Even though the fruit bowl seems large and somewhat out of place, it draws the eye from lower left to upper right to the cat. At least that's how it strikes me, but I know very little about composition and art. But I like it ;)

-ERD50

Thank you for the kind comments. Sprout was sitting in the window, and the afternoon light was falling on her. That type of light only lasts a few minutes every afternoon in that particular window, so I picked up my camera and took a few shots while I still had the chance. This one looked the nicest. The fruit bowl was just there, so I included it in the composition. In retrospect I probably should have re-arranged the fruit to make it look a bit more attractive but didn't think about it at the time.

Some time back, I posted shots of my long-haired black stray. She passed away unexpectedly a few months ago. I missed her terribly and still do, but being able to help these 2 kitties feels like the right thing to do and gives me plenty of entertainment!

We have always been cat people, so I just love photos of cats looking affectionately at their subordinate humans.

Following is one such photo that I found on an RV'er blog (search for "Kurumi RV'er"), and am linking in.

Mitsuki_lap.jpg

Major Tom,

Fruit with Cat = outstanding shot!

We have always been cat people, so I just love photos of cats looking affectionately at their subordinate humans.

Following is one such photo that I found on an RV'er blog (search for "Kurumi RV'er"), and am linking in.

Mitsuki_lap.jpg
He looks as if he is thinking "You humans amuse me. Just keep me supplied with treats and I will let you live." :LOL:

No, I think the cat shows real affection and gratitude with that look. :)

That is a female cat, and was named "Mitsuki" by her adopting human. She was found abandoned in a ditch in South Dakota. The RV'er explained that Mitsuki means "Beauty Moon".

So when the dust settles on getting FIL's house sold and him moved to a stable, safe environment (which as anyone doing or gone through that knows is a huge time sink) I'm going to start doing free dog/cat portraits at the local animal shelter for their web site. I've looked at their photos and know I can do better than that.

That was exactly what drew this RV'er attention to adopt this cute cat. Again, I will link the published photo taken by a local studio that got this cat adopted.

Mitsuki.JPG

Last edited:
No, I think the cat shows real affection and gratitude with that look. :)

That is a female cat, and was named "Mitsuki" by her adopting human. She was found abandoned in a ditch in South Dakota. The RV'er explained that Mitsuki means "Beauty Moon".
How anyone can abandon a cat is beyond me but sadly, it happens all the time. There is one particular picture of my last kitty that my SO and I disagree on all the time. I think she is giving me a loving look in it, and my SO thinks that she is really annoyed and gearing up to bat me with her paw. We always disagree on that one picture!

I visit the local shelter from time to time just to see the cats and spend some time with them. A significant number of them are older animals that were surrendered to the shelter by their owners. It is relatively easy to find apartments that accept cats, and the cost of keeping one is usually quite a bit less than a dog. In many cases, I think the owners weren't trying hard enough, and were thinking of their pets as merely pieces of property, to be discarded when it was no longer convenient to keep them.

Mitsuki's a lovely-looking kitty - and she's very lucky to be living the RV life. I'm envious :D

Hobbies have always been a challenge for me, especially when asked to list them on job applications. Years ago, a very good friend was making suggestions, including water skiing. When i replied that i don't water ski, she said, You like to watch it don't you?[/I] I always smile when i remember that.

i think of gardening as a hobby, but have never mastered a decent garden. I read a lot...but was a librarian for 32 years, so that is a duh.
Have several could-be-hobbies noted on my Zellinski tree, but have started none of them.
Rather than a life coach, perhaps i need a hobby coach.

Since my ER Ive spent a lot of time golfing. Other hobbies are traveling, I bought an old travel trailer. I also recently got my pilot's license and a plane, so that's the latest hobby to add to the list.

When I am hiking or hunting (my new hobby), I have been fooling around with cell phone photography. Its tough to get the right shot with such a primitive camera, but the beautiful scenery keeps me trying. This is from last night:

Attachments

• IMG_20121019_182046 (2).jpg
    IMG_20121019_182046 (2).jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 13
Nice sunset brewer. Cellphone cameras seem to be getting better. I've seen some really good shots taken with the newer iPhones.

Thanks! I have read that the Pimsleur language package is very good. They're pricey, true, but seem to be in the same ballpark as Rosetta Stone on price so I guess that is what it costs for the higher end language instruction software. I don't spend much time in my car, but I could probably play the CDs at other times, at home.

My local library had the full Pimsleur sets for several languages for check out, so got the CDs for free. I used the French one to learn tourist French when I was working for a French company and travelling to Paris frequently. It seems a little silly using phrases that mimic the language sometimes, but it really worked and I got around a lot easier.

My local library had the full Pimsleur sets for several languages for check out, so got the CDs for free. I used the French one to learn tourist French when I was working for a French company and travelling to Paris frequently. It seems a little silly using phrases that mimic the language sometimes, but it really worked and I got around a lot easier.

Thanks! :) Still contemplating the myriad of possibilities.

Edited to add: Well, just eliminated one. I downloaded a free Spanish-English flashcard app for my iPad. But, without even looking at the flashcards once, my test scores are consistently ranging from 96% - 100%. The words are so much like French and/or English that they are easy to guess. What a waste of time. Still, there is so much more to understanding Spanish than that. (sigh)

Last edited:
Since I have retired I have been tackling different recipes that I never had the time for . I also have taken several cooking classes. My other hobbies are reading . I will devour three books a week & of course my ebay selling is a hobby . Sometimes a very lucrative hobby . I also travel but I do not consider that a hobby just an adventure.

I recently discovered the web site duolingo. It is a totally free and well done language site that has an interesting twist in that as part of the exercises you do web site translations.
I have only recently started but so far - I think it's worth a look.

I recently discovered the web site duolingo. It is a totally free and well done language site that has an interesting twist in that as part of the exercises you do web site translations.
I have only recently started but so far - I think it's worth a look.

Thanks - - :flowers: I'll check that out, too. Turns out my library has only one copy of Pimsleur Spanish for near beginners (they don't have the one for actual beginners), and it is missing one disk plus it is on hold for someone. :rolleyes: I could request an interlibrary loan, but instead I think I will put that idea on hold for now.... :)

I find that my hobbies fill up my hours and I only add on to hobbies and increase frequency of doing old hobbies. Some favorites :-
Travelling - once every 2 months with 2 long hauls (over 10 hours flight) and 4 short hauls.
Golfing - twice a week. Often combining travelling with golfing.
Running or just exercising - feel lost without doing this every day.
Movies/TV/DVDs - I just love watching and then recommending to friends on my FB.

I find it interesting that so many list "exercise" as a hobby. I think of exercise as discipline and duty...if a pill could replace it, I'd take that pill and get all that time back.

I'm attracted to creative, artistic hobbies. Activities that produce a tangible result.

Amethyst

Never had a hobby.
Don't desire a hobby.

I've always been too busy with "life" to have time left over.

Just my story...

When I am hiking or hunting (my new hobby), I have been fooling around with cell phone photography.

I'll admit to being impressed with the capabilities of more recent cell phone cameras. And as I've heard and read repeatedly "The best camera is the one in your hand".

Never had a hobby.
Don't desire a hobby.

Just my story...
Personally I don't use the word "hobby". But activities (or hobbies) are part of life. Going for a run, painting landscapes, doing a woodworking project, traveling, etc. -- are you telling us these are not life?

Personally I don't use the word "hobby". But activities (or hobbies) are part of life. Going for a run, painting landscapes, doing a woodworking project, traveling, etc. -- are you telling us these are not life?
I'm not saying that at all; however those activites were/are not part of the life I have experienced, not now - nor I forsee in the future.

I have responsibilites that do not allow me to "do my thing" (it's a long story)...

Amethyst said:
I find it interesting that so many list "exercise" as a hobby. I think of exercise as discipline and duty...if a pill could replace it, I'd take that pill and get all that time back.

I'm attracted to creative, artistic hobbies. Activities that produce a tangible result.

Amethyst

I know what you're saying but I do think something physical that goes beyond the exercise equivalent of brushing your teeth twice a day can be considered a hobby, including running, dancing, golf, martial arts, where the participant hones a skill or sees a result not required for everyday life.

Of course I don't have such hobbies
:). Right now I like knitting and making limoncello to give away at Christmas.

Never had a hobby.
Don't desire a hobby.

Just my story...

I'm not saying that at all; however those activites were/are not part of the life I have experienced, not now - nor I forsee in the future.

I have responsibilites that do not allow me to "do my thing" (it's a long story)...

Two thoughts come to mind.

Something I was once told (in a work environment), is that "nobody is indispensable". I took it to heart, and have found throughout life that is so true. Perhaps you can find a way for someone else to take on your responsibilities for a little while, to allow you some down time. I sure hope so.

My second thought is that you do have time to post on the forum, so maybe participating in forums is a hobby? :D

Back
Top Bottom